My coolest find 2018 ???

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
I can't make up my mind. Both finds came from yards in the same neighborhood not 2 hundred yards apart. The lock came in early spring, the emblem in Dec. The almost cut lock is really cool and I would love to know its story. The Dodge Bros. Rad emblem is just really cool. I have them both on display. Any opinions ?

We had a mild start to the new year so I put off doing a wrap up for 18 so I thinkin I'll throw it in this post for those of you who might be interested. First my disapointments, No big silver or large cents. The first three seasons I managed one LC in each, no dice in 18. I didn't have as good a season as I would have liked but by no means was it a bad one either. I got and Equinox 800 the last week of Feb. I have a love-hate relationship with it but still use it more than the Etrac.I keep a log and was able to get out 88 times in 18. I would like to have gotten out more but the summer heat was just too much. Between that and home projects my hunts were down from the previous year. . Did not find any gold and only one Sterling ring.

Silver 47--my goal was 100
IHPs 14
Wheats 206
Buffs 8
V-nicks 14
Clad 116.27--my goal was a 100

Started 19 out great and I hope it continues. Thank for looking in. HH Mark

Attachments

• 20190102_124023 (2).jpg
    20190102_124023 (2).jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 356
  • 20190102_124540.jpg
    20190102_124540.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 375
  • 20190102_123929 (2).jpg
    20190102_123929 (2).jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 368
  • 20190102_222406 (2).jpg
    20190102_222406 (2).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 369
  • 20190102_222912 (2).jpg
    20190102_222912 (2).jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 359
  • 20190102_223930 (2).jpg
    20190102_223930 (2).jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 338
  • 20190102_223203 (2).jpg
    20190102_223203 (2).jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 342
  • 20190111_214040 (2).jpg
    20190111_214040 (2).jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 334
  • 20190111_214455 (2).jpg
    20190111_214455 (2).jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 327
  • 20190111_215054 (2).jpg
    20190111_215054 (2).jpg
    86 KB · Views: 335
  • 20181231_153236 (2).jpg
    20181231_153236 (2).jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 332
  • 20181231_153548 (2).jpg
    20181231_153548 (2).jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 325
  • 20181231_154339 (2).jpg
    20181231_154339 (2).jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 330
  • 20181231_154937 (2).jpg
    20181231_154937 (2).jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 335
Makes you wish nickels were all made of sliver. The only people who appreciate our beat up, old coins are fellow detectorists !!!!

All those Barber nickels are impressive! The Barber and Standing Liberty quarters are sweet too. Thanks for posting.

Great post! First, I would give the nod to the padlock; just because it's cut almost all the way through. All the rest shows a really good year of digs. Fourteen V nickels? Not too many of us will ever accomplish that feat!

I got and Equinox 800 the last week of Feb. I have a love-hate relationship with it but still use it more than the Etrac.

First, I would give the nod to the padlock; just because it's cut almost all the way through.

Great year-end round up, Mark! I have to agree with Foragist - the padlock get the edge for me because there's definitely a great implied story there with it being mostly cut. Some really cool finds overall for the year. Funny you have a couple of those Sunoco auto coin in the mix...I found 3 of those at the tail end of the year at different spots - never saw one prior to that!

I might have to PM you to hear more about the love-hate story...I'm really enjoying my EQ800 in the fields I've hit so far, but I'm seeing some characteristics that worry me a little when it'll come to hunting people's yards.

I’ll have to vote for the padlock as well. But that’s a lot of quality finds. You should be proud of them all.

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

Wow! Mark you really did have a very outstanding year in 2018. You should be very proud of your success. As there are others out there that will look upon this thread with envy. I know this because I am doing so also. You did dig a lot of Silver but you did not put limits to you finds to just that. A great variety of Relics, A beautiful Tribe of Indians and all those "V" Nickels have me jealous. Congrats my fried on one hell of a year. Trapper

Those are some really cool finds mark.Living where we do and our history and heritage makes this hobbie that much more fun.You Just never know what’s gonna come out of the hole..Congrats on all those finds,I really like the religious medallions you found,those are my favorite finds always.

Do you know what Mark?
That is a beautiful wrap up for 2018.

Forget the goals and numbers .
Your year was amazing!
Your wrap up should be on the cover of some magazine .
Thanks for putting it all together for us.
,Dew

pS . That merc dime photo is incredible. I would buy a blown up print of that thing and hang it over my couch.

I think the lock because it has a story , even if we do not know what it is. I have an old iron lock with the part the lock went through still twisted around the lock from when it was torn off of whatever it locked. Everytime I see it I wonder what it was protecting and just how old it is. It is quite big and heavy so I think it protected something important or valuable. Your lock had time spent trying to compromise it, it too may have been protecting great things.

You had a great Year buddy, if you are ever heading this way let me know!!

Huge congrats on a great year!!!

Awesome finds Thank you sir HH Mark

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Makes you wish nickels were all made of sliver. The only people who appreciate our beat up, old coins are fellow detectorists !!!!
Thank you and yes most don't see the beauty in the old dug history. HH Mark

All those Barber nickels are impressive! The Barber and Standing Liberty quarters are sweet too. Thanks for posting.
SW thank you sir. I have to say with the Equinox 800 my nickel take has skyrocketed. HH Mark

Great post! First, I would give the nod to the padlock; just because it's cut almost all the way through. All the rest shows a really good year of digs. Fourteen V nickels? Not too many of us will ever accomplish that feat!
Thanks for your input. For me its a tough one I love old history and also auto memorabilia. Most V nicks came from a grownover turn of the last century park. The EQ 800 nailed them with ease HH Mark

Great year-end round up, Mark! I have to agree with Foragist - the padlock get the edge for me because there's definitely a great implied story there with it being mostly cut. Some really cool finds overall for the year. Funny you have a couple of those Sunoco auto coin in the mix...I found 3 of those at the tail end of the year at different spots - never saw one prior to that!

I might have to PM you to hear more about the love-hate story...I'm really enjoying my EQ800 in the fields I've hit so far, but I'm seeing some characteristics that worry me a little when it'll come to hunting people's yards.
Ben thanks, I have, on more than one ocassion with a glass of bourbon in hand stared at the lock just wondering. AS for the Sunoco tokens I dug my first one in Feb. of 16. As I was cleaning it on the back porch I dropped it only to watch it roll down and disappear between the boards in the floor, GONE. Oh well. Fast forward this year I got two. Right after I dug the 1919 the next signal was a 1919 Merc. Huh ? Let me know if you want to talk about the Eq. HH Mark

I’ll have to vote for the padlock as well. But that’s a lot of quality finds. You should be proud of them all.

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token
Thank you sir and yes most seem to find the lock cool. HH Mark

Wow! Mark you really did have a very outstanding year in 2018. You should be very proud of your success. As there are others out there that will look upon this thread with envy. I know this because I am doing so also. You did dig a lot of Silver but you did not put limits to you finds to just that. A great variety of Relics, A beautiful Tribe of Indians and all those "V" Nickels have me jealous. Congrats my fried on one hell of a year. Trapper
Trapper, you sir are a gentleman. Thanks for the kind words and encouragement,not just to me but to other members as well. Take care. Mark
Those are some really cool finds mark.Living where we do and our history and heritage makes this hobbie that much more fun.You Just never know what’s gonna come out of the hole..Congrats on all those finds,I really like the religious medallions you found,those are my favorite finds always.
WB, thank you sir. I have to agree we do have some good old history here. I guess I'm just greedy and wish there was more of it. lol. Hope you can get out soon. HH Mark

Wow... nice finds and to me, very impressive totals and good looking coins too!
Thank you and yes it was a pretty good year, HH Mark

I like the Dodge emblem. You have a lot of nice finds. Thanks for sharing... :cool:
Thank you. HH Mark

Do you know what Mark?
That is a beautiful wrap up for 2018.

Forget the goals and numbers .
Your year was amazing!
Your wrap up should be on the cover of some magazine .
Thanks for putting it all together for us.
,Dew

pS . That merc dime photo is incredible. I would buy a blown up print of that thing and hang it over my couch.
Dew, Thanks for the kind words. And yes it was a good year. HH Mark

Mark,
All I can say is WOW !! The whole array of finds is very impressive. I love your Indian tribe and all the mercs. Continued good luck in 2019.
Ron, thanks, my No.1 goal for 19 is to dig a seated silver. HH Mark

I think the lock because it has a story , even if we do not know what it is. I have an old iron lock with the part the lock went through still twisted around the lock from when it was torn off of whatever it locked. Everytime I see it I wonder what it was protecting and just how old it is. It is quite big and heavy so I think it protected something important or valuable. Your lock had time spent trying to compromise it, it too may have been protecting great things.

You had a great Year buddy, if you are ever heading this way let me know!!

Huge congrats on a great year!!!
Ron thanks,yes spent alot of time pondering my lock as well. Will give you a holler if I ever head your way. Take care. HH Mark

Holy smokes Mark, you had one fine year! It took me an hour just to thumb through all the pics..lol. You killed it with the "V" nicks. And nice photos to go with it too. Best of luck and continued success!

Back
Top Bottom