Non-motion discrimination ?

Janx

You guessed it, I'm still researching 21st century MDs :roll:. Been out of the hobby/sport for many years, as I have said before, and it appears that all discrimination is done in motion. Earlier detectors (ie. Whites 6DB and others) had what they called "TR discriminate" mode that allowed for no-sweep discrimination. Has the pinpoint feature replaced this operating mode altogether? I used to do alot of searching in the non-motion discrimination mode which worked very well in confined hunting areas. Does a DFX, for example, discriminate motionless. For that matter, do any modern detectors, budget to top of the line, do motionless discrimination. :?:

Non motion pinpointing is the changing from discriminate mode to all metal which does not require motion. :yes:

Thanks Tony, I may have somehow missed the point I am trying to ask here. Does motionless search discrimination exist on the newer detectors. Used to be a TR discriminate search "scrub" mode and a little red button on the detector handle that would switch to a sweeping GEB discrimination mode. The TR discrimination mode was also used for pinpoint but it discriminated when pinpointing.

I've used many of the old TR/TR-Discriminators and to my knowledge that technology is gone. The old TR's were stable and good pinpointers but lacked really good depth. Along came VLF/GEB but the cost for depth was motion. Depth has become far more important so every detector I'm aware of, with discrimination, is a motion detector, and pinpointing is done in All-Metal/Non-Discrimination/Non-Motion mode.

Some manufacturers are clouding things a little bit. Isn't the XTerra All Metal mode
really a motion mode with Zero discrimination? At least that is what I've heard.

The Ace250 is a good example of that Rudy. When in the all metal "mode" you are actually running at zero disc and not true all metal non motion. 8)

Tony;

Could this be the reason I feel when the Ace 250 goes into pinpoint it doesn't seem to pick up or detect near as much "noise" as the Prism II?? Or is it just that I like yellow better than white??

The Nautilus II-Ba appears to have non-motion discrimination, though I have not used one of these machines yet.

Attachments

• nautilus IIBa.JPG
    nautilus IIBa.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 680
Back
Top Bottom