which detector for cleanup purposes (all metals, maximum depth)

H

Hogge

I am preparing horse pens with imported sand from a lake bottom. I need the easiest detector that finds all metals (trash included) at maximum depth. Trash metals could surface over time and cause injury to the horses. Sand layer will be maybe 4-6 inches but a layer of road base under that is also suspect due to construction trash.

I don't need any hobby-related signals such as coins vs. aluminum--everything must be dug up.

Weight and balance is important since we will later use the detector around the property.

I'm a newby so ease of use is important.

Thanks for your advise. (My tentative plan is Whites Prizm III though I didn't get any sense of how people like its depth.)
--John

If I were you I would purchase a PI unit such as the White's PI Pro or Garrett Infinium LS, that way you get depth and all the metal including the small nails etc.

Hey John-
Welcome. The Prizms are fine machines, but I think the Tesoro Cibola might be more suited to your needs. No frills, but plenty deep.

If you want to find it all at depth then I agree with the Surf PI. It will pick it all up. Let me know if I can help with your purchase. :yes:

What Tony and Waterman said. Go for a PI. No knick knack and bells and whistles. Only pure energy to detect metals. And this to amazing depth regardless to the ground mineralisation.
(borrow Tony an ear ;) :yes: )

Whites PI PRO, an it will run 25 plus hours on a set of batteris an it will find every tiny piece of metal. I have dug up pieces of wire this size { ____ ) at 6+ inches no problem, get a good magnet to help you find the small iron pieces, they are hard to see. but before you pour the sand down do a good clean up with the detector, be suprise how metal is already on the ground an this will save you some work.

This kinda takes the fun out of it, but.... wouldn't it be easier to filter the sand before redepositing it?

Chris in MI (I'm new here!)

Actually Chris , that's what a sand scoop does. It sifts the sand to find the target. There was a book out a long time ago that was called The Beachcombers Handbook. It showed how you could make a sifting machine that you pulled through the sand and grabbed all of the items too large for the holes. For me . I'll take a metal detector. 8)

If you want to eventually use it around the property, then you need something with discrimination. The PI's are not good for that. I would not suggest the Tesoro Cibola either as it does not have an all metal mode unless you hold in the pinpoint button all the time which would kinda s**k. Either go with its big brother the Vaquero (about $100.00 more) or go with another brand. I would recommend a Fisher 1270 except that you mentioned weight and balance being important. Its really not that bad unless hunting for extended periods. There are so many good ones out there.

nix the Prizm

Tom

Back
Top Bottom