Big Silver in a Makeup Case

You're are right about silver dollars still being in circulation back in the late fifties. When I was 7 or 8 years old my aunt took me by to see the doctor who delivered me at my home. He gave me a silver dollar and I spent it all at the fair. Cokes and ice cream cones were a nickel and rides were 5 and 10 cents.

beephead

They were in Circulation clear into the early 1980s. My father, in the military, was often issued them to pay his troops, in Europe, because there was such a Surplus of Morgan Dollars in the Fed. He still laughs about how they would take them off base, and get a bit more than a $1 worth of goods, because they were silver.

There's a reason they're so common. The US made so dang many of them!

Skippy

They were in Circulation clear into the early 1980s. My father, in the military, was often issued them to pay his troops, in Europe, because there was such a Surplus of Morgan Dollars in the Fed. He still laughs about how they would take them off base, and get a bit more than a $1 worth of goods, because they were silver.

There's a reason they're so common. The US made so dang many of them!

Skippy

Great story. So why did they stop making them in 1904 and start making them again in 1921...and in such great numbers?

Born in 74 it's really difficult for me to comprehend what a silver dollar would do for someone in say...1955? I did a little bit of research. Apparently a beer cost .67 cents, a movie ticket .49 cents, fries .10 cents, and a burger .15 cents. I guess a silver dollar would give you a night out. At least a cab ride home.

Crazy to think that someone would hand over a beautiful silver dollar for a milk shake but then again maybe you'd get back a beautiful walking liberty.

Haha; There is a story I used to like to tell. Still do. When in my junior year in high school on Friday nights I would worry my father for a dollar. I would have my evening meal at Hardies. I could get a burger, fry, and coke then get a pack of cigarettes from the machine out front. I still had fifteen cents which I would give to one of my friends to help pay for gas to ride around in his fathers car. Oh yea, this was 1967.

So cool. Thank you for sharing. I've been dealing with depression lately. Yes, finding the coin helps but reading your stories helps even more.

Damn, that's awesome. Always wanted to find an old coin purse, or can, or whatever loaded with something special.

Fantastic find! Good job! I am curious though. What did that ring up like on an Etrac? When I run my Etrac I am pretty much cherry picking silver. A compact with a Morgan and a Jefferson must have sounded like a soda can?

Back
Top Bottom