Sifted/detected 1,000 items

steve in so la

Forum Supporter
Here's a possible idea for others to consider. Along the old railroads, especially the abandoned ones, they had a maintence house or two for people to take care of the tracks. Each man would check 5 miles or so each way so they had these sites every 8-10 miles. They are long gone now but the goodies arew still there. most of the land has been given back to the state or local ranchers/farmers. We ask at the adjoining house for permission. They usually dont mind.
Anyway, when these sites were in operation they frequently had families there - which translates into trash - then into an old dump site. So we go along and find these spots, detect all around the grounds and sift the dumps. Some sites are easy to find, through research, like this one with the old slab and red bricks.

And some are just out there somewhere and harder to find. With my GPS unit we have been to probably 50 sites in Az and New Mexico and only failed to find 2 or 3.

After detecting the area we go to running the dumps through a sifter. Here's my wife hard at work looking for the goodies.

And here I am on the side of a hill away from the tracks in the dump.

In this particular dump site we got a few wheats & a couple silver coins; a bunch of bottles; a watch fob from old that I sold on ebay for 80 bux, and about 900 date nails, which is the main reason we go there.
So maybe give it a try in your area - they had these old rr lines just about everywhere. The RR bible we use is "Railroads of North America" by Mike Walker. It comes in 2-3 states coverage for each book so just look for your state. It shows every railroad that ever existed in your area. I see them on ebay all the time also. Steve in so az

Attachments

• red bricks.jpg
    red bricks.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 228
  • dumo hidden.jpg
    dumo hidden.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 233
  • N sifting.jpg
    N sifting.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 229
  • dump, old car.jpg
    dump, old car.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 228
Steve, thanks. I have an area where the old railroad, that used to go from San Francisco to Santa Cruz, that has been abandoned. It was removed to keep the japanese from thinking it was a supply train. There are several starts and ends of tunnels that are located on private lands (water dept.) but if I could locate the sights that you mention inbetween. Maybe I could get lucky. Thanks again, Rick

Rick - if you get this book it will show any stops or sites along the line. If you find the book check before you buy if possible to see if your railroad is there. I have yet to not find one in the books. After I get a name of a site I go to the GNIS online site and get the GPS numbers to it and then go there. I get mine at a map store. Good luck, Steve

Attachments

• rr atlas.jpg
    rr atlas.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 189
I believe I located one of these service houses when the leaves were off and snow was on the ground last winter... I have had such a bad summer I haven't got a chance to go to it yet... but I'm glad someone has hunted one of these sites it gives me inspiration to maybe hike to it this fall. I'm pretty sure that no one has been around the site for several decades. the railroad rails are gone, but the ties are still slightly visible. The shack site is cut into the hillside beside the railroad tracks. The line hasn't been run since before the turn of the century. Great pics!

Beefcake - Holy cow !!! That site is a Rr hunter's dream come true. Ties still visable !!! if you go back be sure to walk the raised berm that the rails were on - check all along the ground for goodies. Plus the people who lived there had to put their garbage somewhere. Good luck, Steve in so az

Back
Top Bottom