Curious question...

The Jersey Digger

Elite Member
Been awhile since I did any CRH. When I did it my bank had a coin machine to dump the change in. I dont know of any banks that have those machines now. The banks I spoke with said they were too much hassle. The only ones I know of now are coinstars. How do you drop off the coins back at the bank?

Been awhile since I did any CRH. When I did it my bank had a coin machine to dump the change in. I dont know of any banks that have those machines now. The banks I spoke with said they were too much hassle. The only ones I know of now are coinstars. How do you drop off the coins back at the bank?

With a lot of banks and credit unions having their lobbies closed or by appointment only it may be hard for a while till the virus gets under control. A lot of stores still have signs up that there is a coin shortage and might be willing to take some rolls off your hands. My wife has been cashing in all my finds from last several years all tumbled and cleaned up at the cash office at the airport where she works. I see signs up in a lot of retail stores and you might also check grocery stores in your area.

With a lot of banks and credit unions having their lobbies closed or by appointment only it may be hard for a while till the virus gets under control. A lot of stores still have signs up that there is a coin shortage and might be willing to take some rolls off your hands. My wife has been cashing in all my finds from last several years all tumbled and cleaned up at the cash office at the airport where she works. I see signs up in a lot of retail stores and you might also check grocery stores in your area.

I will take my clad to a coinstar that I dig up. But when it comes to halves stores will not want them. My banks are open here but they do not have coin counting machines.

I had a sweet gig where I could drop off $500 bags of loose halves. They didn’t even count them, went right to the vault. When I gave up halves for dimes, I’d dump them rolled in the original box. I wasn’t a counter, I searched then rolled. The credit union didn’t count those either. In several years doing that I never had an issue. Like DH mentioned, now is not an easy time to CRH. I haven’t been inside a bank in over 5 years, either way, and almost a year since entering my CU. I rarely use a credit and I don’t own a debit card either. I no longer use banks but that’s just me.

Another option would be buying groceries or gas, paying in rolls. I’ve done that also.

I had a sweet gig where I could drop off $500 bags of loose halves. They didn’t even count them, went right to the vault. When I gave up halves for dimes, I’d dump them rolled in the original box. I wasn’t a counter, I searched then rolled. The credit union didn’t count those either. In several years doing that I never had an issue. Like DH mentioned, now is not an easy time to CRH. I haven’t been inside a bank in over 5 years, either way, and almost a year since entering my CU. I rarely use a credit and I don’t own a debit card either. I no longer use banks but that’s just me.

Another option would be buying groceries or gas, paying in rolls. I’ve done that also.

Even most of the Coinstar machines here in the groceries store are only open if the customer service desk is open, which is hit and miss, most of the time have a out of service sign on them . Our credit union which has free cash in on their coin machine has to have a appointment to get in the lobby to use it. I can see where 1/2 dollar coins would be a lot harder to get rid of though since they are rarely used in change.

I honestly never had a problem cashing halves at drives thrus and convenience stores.
One time a lady complained they didn’t fit in her till.

My bank- Bryn Mawr- has a machine but of course you’re not allowed in at this time.

Even most of the Coinstar machines here in the groceries store are only open if the customer service desk is open, which is hit and miss, most of the time have a out of service sign on them . Our credit union which has free cash in on their coin machine has to have a appointment to get in the lobby to use it. I can see where 1/2 dollar coins would be a lot harder to get rid of though since they are rarely used in change.

Coinstar in mine is open when the store is open but it takes 8%. Not worth it.

I honestly never had a problem cashing halves at drives thrus and convenience stores.
One time a lady complained they didn’t fit in her till.

Did you just give them back loose or did you reroll all those halves?

My bank- Bryn Mawr- has a machine but of course you’re not allowed in at this time.

Banks are open here, short hours but open none the less if they had a coin counting machine.

KT feels for you, having been shut down for CRHing for 51 weeks. But after KT spoke with His Bank's security guard, he was told, just bring the coins and they will dump them for Him and give KT the machine slip, so that is how KT is presently doing CRH again. KT rates this bank as Super for its service to customers! KT keeps a checking account at the purchase bank and a deposit account at the dump bank...2 completely different entities. This is the third dump bank, KT has used in 9 years of CRHing. Do not be afraid to check out a lot of banks to find those that have coin counting machines. One bank even told KT, just bring the coins in and leave them with your account number and we will run them for you and credit your account...but KT thinks they were thinking of someone with a jar or piggy bank of coins, not over a 100#s of coins a week! :laughing::laughing: So His Majesty has not done that.

Back
Top Bottom