Large Cent - repurposed!

oaktree

Forum Supporter
I was hunting a local park and found a few nice items - my first buffalo nickel, my first silver quarter (1944), a 1946 wheat penny - cool grayish color and my Red book says cartridge cases were salvaged for 1944-1946 pennies).

My best find (I think) is a 1831 large cent! It's very worn and I found it attached to an old set of Jeep keys! The rusted keychain just crumbled as I took them from the ground. Is this coin real? Looks like someone just drilled a hole in it for the keychain purposes!

Attachments

• 20200604_153133.jpg
    20200604_153133.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
Looks real, it's pretty common to see them turned into necklace charms, key chains, hammered through with a nail, and even shot as targets. Good find though!

Holed older coins are not uncommon. I think it's kind of cool to find holed coins .

[ ... but ... oh ... large cents are not cool though :laughing: :sissyfight: ]

I was hunting a local park and found a few nice items - my first buffalo nickel, my first silver quarter (1944), a 1946 wheat penny - cool grayish color and my Red book says cartridge cases were salvaged for 1944-1946 pennies).

My best find (I think) is a 1813 large cent! It's very worn and I found it attached to an old set of Jeep keys! The rusted keychain just crumbled as I took them from the ground. Is this coin real? Looks like someone just drilled a hole in it for the keychain purposes!

Looks real to me. Obviously wasn't dropped in the 1800's, though!

Sounds like an awesome hunt!

Wow - what a hunt! Your first buffalo nickel, your first silver quarter, and a cartridge case cent... any of these alone could make for an exciting day, so to top all those finds in the same hunt is spectacular! :grin:

Looks real, it's pretty common to see them turned into necklace charms, key chains, hammered through with a nail, and even shot as targets. Good find though!
Thank you Emu! I can't believe I went from my oldest coin being a early 1990's penny to an early 1800's coin!

Holed older coins are not uncommon. I think it's kind of cool to find holed coins .

Oh Tom, I knew you would get a kick out of this! I'm in Indiana - so east of the Mississippi, large cents are so commonplace that people are just making key chains from them, no big deal.. :lol:

Looks real to me. Obviously wasn't dropped in the 1800's, though!

Sounds like an awesome hunt!
Yes, I am still learning my Equinox settings - I had a lined piece of paper that I wrote down every signal and what I found. Wasn't too excited when I found the keys, but once the dirt came off that coin -- I couldn't believe it

Wow - what a hunt! Your first buffalo nickel, your first silver quarter, and a cartridge case cent... any of these alone could make for an exciting day, so to top all those finds in the same hunt is spectacular! :grin:
Thanks Princess! Yes, since I haven't really found too many good items, I hit a bunch in just one day! Very exciting and I will be hitting this park more. Now I need to start looking for deep signals

is this a jealous West Coast Post? :laughing:
I know, poor Tom! I am half tempted to make a necklace out of this and send it to him so he can wear it about his neck like his own personal albatross - a constant reminder that while he sleeps, someone to the east is likely unearthing another large cent!

That's very cool! It has to be one of the most recent large cent drops to date :mder:
Haha! Yeah, I feel like I sort of found something really historical, but can't say that I've cracked the code of finding those deep old coins yet since this was courtesy of a Jeep owner on a picnic!

Thank you all for taking a look and for responding! I hope to be able to report more good finds soon

Haha! Yeah, I feel like I sort of found something really historical, but can't say that I've cracked the code of finding those deep old coins yet since this was courtesy of a Jeep owner on a picnic!

Hey, a coin recovered is a coin saved either way! It beats my oldest, 2X1892 Barber dimes. *Burns with jealousy with no LCs yet* :D

...so east of the Mississippi, large cents are so commonplace that people are just making key chains from them, no big deal.. :lol:

I know, poor Tom! I am half tempted to make a necklace out of this and send it to him so he can wear it about his neck like his own personal albatross - a constant reminder that while he sleeps, someone to the east is likely unearthing another large cent!

Wow!! Almost cruel.....almost. But instead it’s just hysterically funny, because Tom knows it’s all true :laughing::laughing:

Seriously though, that’s an awesome find, made all the more interesting by its recent reuse and drop - just adds another layer to that coin’s story! Sounds like a great hunt overall...a Buff and silver quarter, plus a Wheat would have been fantastic on their own, but the repurposed Largie sent it over the top!

... I know, poor Tom! I am half tempted to make a necklace out of this and send it to him so he can wear it about his neck like his own personal albatross - a constant reminder that while he sleeps, someone to the east is likely unearthing another large cent! ...

You are cruel. Much too cruel. I'll bet you are the type person that tortures baby kittens too, right ? :sissyfight:

Awesome find regardless of how it was lost! I hope to find one someday...

Back
Top Bottom