Anyone else into wild edibles?

we have wild watercress here at the bird refuge it's really yummy but not supposed to pick plants there so i don't :(
i know a place where's there's cow clover and i like that too, i've heard it was a plant eaten by natives before the gold rush. i usualy take it home (the roots) and cook it in stew or soup. there's some different types of hibiscus here but i havent tried them because i dont know much about them but im sure they'd make a great tea. there's tons of wild blackberries and when they're ripe i usualy make myself sick eating too many cause i love them so much. there's trees here that have these fruit things or whatever they are called buck eyes and i stay away from them cause they stink real real bad

In the Northwest, I have found: Blackberries, thimble berries, huckleberries and blueberries, wild strawberries, currants. Walking on a trail and find Huckleberries and/or Blueberries growing, just pick a branch off and then just eat the berries right off the plant.

My grandmother taught me about fiddle heads. She used to pick them when she was a little girl out on the Home Stead, way up in the Mountains near Corvallis Oregon. Fiddle heads are ferns that are still new and curled up or are in the process of opening. They are very tender and are almost like beans. Occasionally you get a little surprise in side, but it's just protein... right?

I have picked, cooked and ate plate fulls of: Chantrels, Morels, Puff balls and Coral mushrooms. I have ate several other kinds of mushrooms, but these are my favorites and easiest to find.

I've roasted young cattails over an open fire and ate them right from the stem. I have used the pollen from a cattail and have eaten the root of a Cattail, it's just like a potato.. sort of.

Another hard to find plant is Licorice Fern. The root, when you scrape off the bark and then chew the woody part is just like Licorice, Yummy! It will help quench your thirst.

I have used Horsetails like a poultice, on scrapes or stings. Use the meaty part of the stem, crush it up and apply. Will take the sting away almost right now. Also, Horsetails are high in silica and are very good for washing your hair. They will make it shine.

I have tried Pine needle tea, needs sweetening,

I have several herb books and try to learn a little about natures garden every year.

I have been looking for mushrooms but have dug ginsang and goldenseal for years.I have also picked poke greens but do not care for them.

You have to be careful with mushrooms... I used to be a park ranger years ago, and I remember two distinct incidents with mushrooms. One kind of funny the other one was bad.

One was an alderly couple that returned every year, I used to see them on night patrols of the park in the grass with magnafying glasses and bycycle lights on thier heads, looking through the grass with tweesers... Finally after seeing them out for a few nights in a row I stopped and inquired a little more than usual.

They told me that they were looking for certain types of mushrooms to dry and eat and to brew into tea.. They said it was a healt thing but I was thinking it was for the drug affect cause they were always spaced out...

The other was a "naturalist" who popped an unknown type mushroom in his mouth and died.. we found him a week later in his converted school bus...... Not pretty..

On the other hand when I am out on my property I usually pick wild mustard, I love mustard greens and home made mustard as well.

We have a black walnut orchard and I usually collect the green walnuts to make brown leather dye..;)

I like wild onions. Of course no one likes me after that...

Leeks!:D

There used to be a bar/restaurant in northern PA that served pizza with leeks as a topping. The leeks came from the immediate area (i.e., nearby fields). They could not make enough pizzas fast enough to meet the demand on weekends.

Probably one of the first trees i learned to identify as a kid was a birch tree - how many here remember chewing on a birch twig? And black walnut, hickory trees provided edibles in the fall - not just nuts but grey squirrels in squirrel season. They make fine pot pies.:grin: While detecting an old cellar hole recently I noticed eaten black walnut husks all over the place. Got skunked as far as any finds with the metal detector, but I'll go back in the fall and try my luck with a .22 rifle.

Poke warning

Years ago my grandmother would look for a plant she called "Poke" It was very good , but I have not heard about it in years. We live in the Ohio Valley>:grin:

Be careful about eating "poke salad". The only edible parts are the fresh new shoots that have been boiled in several changes of water. Under no circumstances eat the berries!

-- Tom

You have to be careful with mushrooms... I used to be a park ranger years ago, and I remember two distinct incidents with mushrooms. One kind of funny the other one was bad.

One was an alderly couple that returned every year, I used to see them on night patrols of the park in the grass with magnafying glasses and bycycle lights on thier heads, looking through the grass with tweesers... Finally after seeing them out for a few nights in a row I stopped and inquired a little more than usual.

They told me that they were looking for certain types of mushrooms to dry and eat and to brew into tea.. They said it was a healt thing but I was thinking it was for the drug affect cause they were always spaced out...

The other was a "naturalist" who popped an unknown type mushroom in his mouth and died.. we found him a week later in his converted school bus...... Not pretty..

The only mushrooms I ever dare are morels, which are easily positively identified.

Probably one of the first trees i learned to identify as a kid was a birch tree - how many here remember chewing on a birch twig?

Yep, good ol' Betula lenta....:D I'm a Botanist and edible plants is my specialty.

Groundnut, Indian Cucumber Root, Sassafrass, Dandelion roots, and well, I'll not go on for the sake of saving time! :lol:

Did you know: Dandelion roots, when dried COMPLETELY, can be ground up and made into an excellent substitute for coffee! Definitely a nifty trick to have on the mind when out in the woods for a few days. I like packing light, so tricks like this are always stockpiled in my memory. Happy Veggie Hunting! :D
NC

we have wild watercress here

I too love watercress. My grandparents used to pick-it several gallon bags full in the spring at a spring local to their place. Sure would like some in my fridge! Try it with peanut-butter on whole wheat sometime - you'd be surprised at how good the two compliment each other.

Interesting post

We have had the same small wild green onion patch in our yard for 20 years, and it always comes up. My Dad used to dig some up to put with scrambled eggs (Yuk). I've heard that dandelions are really good for arthritis. Does anyone know where you can get sasafrass root at? I remember it used to make THE BEST hot tea that I've ever tasted. Needs sugar, but it is great!
GiGi

Dandelions and poke etc...

I always look forward to spring for the wild greens! Dandelions are packed with nutrition. I can't eat them too late in the day as they will keep me up all night. Poke grows around where I live, but is more plentiful on my Mom's old Pennsylvania farm. I have a spot where I dig up immature puffballs and am trying to find a good morel spot. The weather is right for morels so I know they are here, I just have to find them. :grin:

I like to chew on seaweed and sea shells while at the beach. Sometimes a Manowar for protein.

Found my first bunch of morels the other day... quite tasty sauted in a little butter!

Went on a two hour walk with my daughters two days ago.....we took along a bucket for blackberries...usually we hardly find any 'cause of the birds....but we actually filled the bucket! and found a place where there are berry vines ALL OVER!

here's a couplea pics

080.jpg

074.jpg

The metal thing in the bushes is a foot pedal to an old sewing machine...apparently people use this field as a dumping ground...we also found a trash bag with a busted open safe in it:wow:....:D

Back
Top Bottom