old gold mmining camp

Im not a big pro, but I would start near the building (SE). Can you look around that building too? IF so, then start there and grid it off, sort of take chunks of squares and cover it all. Work you way to the NW of that strip of land. You never know what you may find. And I would start out by digging everything, there might be metal objects buired there too.
Thats my 2 pebbles worth. good luck and HH

One thing that you will find out about mining camps is they are littered with steel cans and tops. Back then garbage cans weren't very in at the time. I hit an old mining camp here in Nevada and it was TRASHY to say the least.

that's ok i'll dig up 200 hundred pieces of can slaw if i could find a cool pocket watch or old coin. i went tonight and found some tin cans even a sardine can but i think they are modern cause as some one pointed out to me the dirt has been moved around and worked with alot here so anything from the camp is probably very deeply burried.

One thing that you will find out about mining camps is they are littered with steel cans and tops. Back then garbage cans weren't very in at the time. I hit an old mining camp here in Nevada and it was TRASHY to say the least.

Well, either way your gonna have a blast. I was just so intrigued to be walking the same area people were walking back in the 1900's. even after every can i found i wondered who was eating out of it.:grin:

Hit all the tailings which are the bigger rocks laying around. They did not have detectors and missed a lot of gold in that stuff. But you will only hit it if it is of any good size. IE: larger than a small splitshot sinker. Also check the bottom areas of any rock or hill piles. Good luck and let us know how it goes. WOLF

Not a pro, and don't know anything about hunting for gold but some things
that popped in my mind as I looked at this...

Are the canals as old as the mining camp? In comparing the satellite pic with
the map, I don't see the other canal that ran along the railway line for a bit
near the building. Is it filled in, dried up? Anyway, with two bodies of water
at your disposal, many times one becomes a dumping ground, no? Possible
relics where that railway canal was.

Also, looking at the area from "street view" I noticed some pine trees to the south and west of the building. They might be much older than the other trees in the area and perhaps hunting around them might provide some relics.

Anyway, you've got a Walmart just north of the camp if you get bored. :grin:

Also, you might try looking at the bing.com map section for it. It should give you a bird's eye view of the area also. I love those bing maps! :D

Because of the location, it may not give you everything, but it's worth a shot. HH!

i dont know if the canals are as old as the camping site, could be cause this is a flood plain and from reading historical documents i know that they were working building levees early on but i dont know if canals were for flood control or what. i checked down there the 2nd time i went but maybe i didnt spend enough time in the canal. i've been to the site twice and found nothing of historical interest. the canal near the building has alot of water but the one close to the tracks doesn't have water. i dont know how deep i should be digging (???)

Not a pro, and don't know anything about hunting for gold but some things
that popped in my mind as I looked at this...

Are the canals as old as the mining camp? In comparing the satellite pic with
the map, I don't see the other canal that ran along the railway line for a bit
near the building. Is it filled in, dried up? Anyway, with two bodies of water
at your disposal, many times one becomes a dumping ground, no? Possible
relics where that railway canal was.

Also, looking at the area from "street view" I noticed some pine trees to the south and west of the building. They might be much older than the other trees in the area and perhaps hunting around them might provide some relics.

Anyway, you've got a Walmart just north of the camp if you get bored. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom