Trigger Guards: The Civil War in Bentonville and the Revolution in Saxapahaw

gtoast99

Forum Supporter
Hey everyone! I went out with some friends to a spot near the Battle of Bentonville. We all did really well, and everyone came home with lead and brass.

Since I found a trigger guard from the Civil War, I thought I'd post this find from last week. I didn't know what it was at the time, but it turns out it's part of a trigger guard from the mid 1700's - early 1800's. Here's a musket believed to have been used in the Revolution with a very similar acorn finial trigger guard.

The full story is at the blog, so I'll skip to the pictures. Hope you enjoy :D

Attachments

• finds1.jpg
    finds1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 335
  • flat bullets.JPG
    flat bullets.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 373
  • pulled bullet.JPG
    pulled bullet.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 309
  • triggerguard.JPG
    triggerguard.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 361
  • flintlock trigger guard.jpg
    flintlock trigger guard.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 319
  • fowler comp.JPG
    fowler comp.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 329
:shock::shock::shock: You think it could off a brown bess? That's amazing!!!

I haven't seen any brown bess with a trigger guard like that. The original pictured above is from a British officer's fusil musket. But the design was also common on English fowl-hunting guns at the time. So it was probably from a hunting gun, although those were often pressed into service by the Americans for the war.

So I can't say for certain it was from a Rev War gun, only that it was from a gun that was sometimes used in the Rev War.

I haven't seen any brown bess with a trigger guard like that. The original pictured above is from a British officer's fusil musket. But the design was also common on English fowl-hunting guns at the time. So it was probably from a hunting gun, although those were often pressed into service by the Americans for the war.

So I can't say for certain it was from a Rev War gun, only that it was from a gun that was sometimes used in the Rev War.

Doesn't matter. Still amazing.....

I'm pretty thrilled with it myself. Especially since I got it walking distance from my house. haha

Here's my buddy's find, the best of the day imo. The fuse adapter from a Union Hotchkiss shell.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 308
Cool hunt and cool finds. You can see the hole in the trigger guard is for a sling swivel. That fuse is really a nice find.

Back
Top Bottom