electrolysis??

ironsights

Does anyone use electrolysis to clean copper coins, wheaties ect. Any does or donts. Ive done it for a few very corroded coins and it works great but it takes a very long time. Only have tried it on copper, scared to mess up a silver coin. I use an electric drill charger...dont know if that makes a difference...any tips? :?:

I use electrolysis regularly, and with great results. But, only on copper and bronze coins that have been dug and where no patina has developed due to the corrosive effects of being in the ground. I wouldn't use it on silver, and can't imagine why it would ever be necessary. It is best to use low amperage and go slowly checking every 15 minutes or so.

I tried it once with a low-voltage charger. I cooked the silver off a clad quarter in 30 minutes. Same thing happened to a zinc penny real fast. Next time I'll try using a tumbler instead.

I experimented with electrolysis on a couple of bad condition wheat cents and a military button using the system described in this forums section about cleaning finds. I was very happy with the results and it took less than 10 minutes for each piece. Followed the suggestion after electrolysis to clean object with baking soda and water and worked well also.

It works fine, just don't use it on anything of value. After about a week you'll notice the shiny finish starting to dull and oxidize, and after a while it will kind of just get all dull. I'd actually recommend a tumbler if you have several coins.

Hi, I'm new here & to MD'n, but I've got some experience working with metals, including cleaning, electrolysis. One thing I have not read mentioned is the condition of your water. Well water, or hard water,etc. has minerals in it can greatly effect the process. Try getting a gallon of DISTILLED H2O from the grocery store. Also, many public water Co's add chlorine, flourides, etc to water, fill a gallon jug with the tap water put lid on loosely, & let it sit at least 48 hrs. Some of the chlorine etc. will evaporate out, or settle to the bottom. The longer it sets the more. And if you'r "cooking" you'r coins/etc. you'r using too much current. Start low, say a 9 volt, 800 MA(MAH)(milli-amp) charger, see how it works, then go up if you think you need to. DO NOT use a charger that exceeds the MA range for single coin electrolysis. Hope this help's someone out.

Back
Top Bottom