• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

How long has this clad been in the ground?

Happa54

Forum Supporter
I'm sure we all dig a ton of clad. I always ask myself how long these newer coins have been in the ground due to their discoloration.

They have that dirty faded brownish red look to them. Does anyone know how long they've been in the ground at this stage (see pic below)? Months, years, decades?

Thank you

Attachments

• 600x600.jpg
    600x600.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 315
If I'm not mistaken, and I rarely am, those have been buried for exactly 11 years, 7 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 14 hours and 17 minutes. :lol:

Tbh, I have no clue, I've often thought about that too!

Clad that has been in the ground where it stays wet a lot tends to be a reddish color and will tarnish faster. JD from JD's Variety channel has a good video explaining it all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes we find indian head pennies (injuns) which have been in the ground for 100 years and they look beautiful because they are real copper.
The new lincoln cents (zincolns) are mostly zinc and corrode within one year in the ground.
Silver and gold do not corrode and usually come out looking very new and shiny.
Sometimes when old silver is in the ground in a wet location or near iron, it will tarnish or "rust"

Thanks Guys!!!

Today I'm gonna bury a couple of dimes and quarters in the garden today and check on them in awhile. I will stagger them and pull them out at different time intervals.

Just for the heck of it.

Back
Top Bottom