Found another ring. Am I seeing 925 or just trying too hard?

MrNovice

Forum Supporter
Just hit another totlot for an hour before bed. Pulled a James Avery ring earlier this morning, but found another ring at the bottom of the slides just now. Cleaned it up and got the loupe out, still hard to tell though...think I can see the 9, but hoping that might be a 25 after it? Rang up in the small silver range but it's a childs ring. Thoughts? Can you see it?

Whatcha think? 925 or not?

Your pics are too grainy to be sure, but it looks like it could be a weakly struck 925 stamp. Lots of sterling jewelry had weak marks and lots of use would erase them entirely.

Looks good to me. Try the flashlight trick or late day slanted sun rays to get better shot of the lettering. Nice save any way you look at it

Looks good to me. Try the flashlight trick or late day slanted sun rays to get better shot of the lettering. Nice save any way you look at it

Thanks! I'll give it a better look over tomorrow. It gets dark here at 6pm now and the kids were in bed, so all I had was the overhead fan light and the little light on the loupe.

What is the flashlight trick? I don't think it's engraved deep enough to even cast a shadow.

Thanks! I'll give it a better look over tomorrow. It gets dark here at 6pm now and the kids were in bed, so all I had was the overhead fan light and the little light on the loupe.

What is the flashlight trick? I don't think it's engraved deep enough to even cast a shadow.

use a flashlight very close to the ring and shine the light basically straight across the mark. Even very, very light marks will get enough contrast/shadowing to make it stand out much more.

I think you are good there Buddy! Sometimes I take a nail file/emery board or something and do a quick scratch to see if its plated...to see if its got copper underneath...

If it sounded like silver, thats a good start, and it sure looks like you got some digits there...so things are looking up!
Mud

I think you are good there Buddy! Sometimes I take a nail file/emery board or something and do a quick scratch to see if its plated...to see if its got copper underneath...

If it sounded like silver, thats a good start, and it sure looks like you got some digits there...so things are looking up!
Mud

I'll definitely try that. I have an acid kit so I may give that a whirl also. Gotta learn sometime. It's a tiny ring though, but it all adds up. Thanks Mud!

Back
Top Bottom