Three shipwreck coins today!

n3tuf

:DAfter being sick for eight days and seeing the forecast was calling for a beautiful day I decided to take a trip down to Lewes, DE and try my luck. While my wife Sandi relaxed on a beach chair by the water I started down the beach with my trusty ETrac with a freshly charged Lithium battery. I had only gone about a hundred yards and my detector sang out with that familiar low tone and my FE/CO numbers were showing 12-3 which indicated a Jeton which I had found previously on other trips. These coins are believed to be from the Severn which sank in 1774. I dug down about four inches, and when I shook out my sand scoop I saw my first Jeton of the day. This day was starting out just fine! I traveled down to my favorite spot along the beach and within a few minutes found my second Jeton of the day. Thinking to myself, if the storms of the past week brought these coins up I just might have some luck at coin beach down near Indian River Inlet. So we packed up picked up some lunch on the way down and Sandi dropped me off near the Savage Ditch crossover and I started hiking out to the beach. After crossing the dune I looked up and down the beach and there were hundreds of cars parked on the waters edge surf fishing. I turned to the right and started down towards the inlet where I could see a father and his son were detecting. I had only gone down the beach a few hundred yards and wham my detector sang out! The sun was so bright that I couldn't see my screen but the tone sounded right so I dug down about five inches and there in the bottom of my scoop was a King George Copper from the wreck of the Faithful Steward that sank that fateful night September 2nd 1785 where only 68 of 249 passengers survived. Among the passengers that survived were the ancestors of Civil War General Robert E. Lee. Fourty eight members of his family perished that day. I felt that I had touched a part of that history as I looked at that coin so I gave a new nickname to my Etrac today "The Irish Beauty" in honor of young Mary Lee daughter of James and Isabella Bascowen Lee known as "Pretty Polly Lee" and "The Irish Beauty" who had many poems written about her beauty and accomplishment who perished on the Faithful Steward.

Attachments

• SWCoins.jpg
    SWCoins.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 706
Congrats on your successful hunt and the short history lesson. : ) Following your 'guts' worked out very nicely. Good luck on future hunts.

n3tuf - Great finds, comprehensive background work and pics there fella. Congrats !
I get down there quite a bit during the summer. . . CZ-20/21 & ATPro

Met a guy with a CTX-3030 last trip named Lenny, been looking for him on this forum
said he uses the screen name of dogxxxxxxx ??? Very experienced guy . . . I would
like to buddy up with him down there sometime if I could catch up to him.

Pass this on to him if you know him. Thanks.

Nice finds, I would have a hard time not being back there today. Thanks for the history behind the finds, that makes the coins much more interesting.

I sure don't much about shipwreck finds, but it sure looks like you found some,,,thats awesome looking stuff there,,,GL HH

I get down there quite a bit during the summer. . . CZ-20/21 & ATPro

Met a guy with a CTX-3030 last trip named Lenny, been looking for him on this forum
said he uses the screen name of dogxxxxxxx ??? Very experienced guy . . . I would
like to buddy up with him down there sometime if I could catch up to him.

Pass this on to him if you know him. Thanks.

congrats on the very cool finds n3tuf

it was also very cool meeting up with ya mcgov51

Congratulation on your finds! One of the things I love about this hobby! The history you can uncover!! The excitement of hearing that tone that signals that part of the brain that says "This could be a big one!".

To actually hold in your hand an object that can be traced to a particular event in time.

If only our finds could talk!!

Thanks for sharing!!

A boyhood friend of mine grew up in Cocoa Beach Florida and started his days with a sunrise walk along the beach. He told me he found hundreds of black metal discs which he would skim along the waves.
Years later he found out those were silver coins washed up from some ancient shipwreck.....:no:

Those are some great finds, I was in the area but looking at town houses. Ocean View...Now I wish I would have got out.....You guys are killing me!! Fine Treasue my friend!! I did get a pic of the thursday nightstorm....funnel cloud off in the ocean

Attachments

• xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Obn

Cool picks,as far as the Thread poster,wow 2 spots and you hit the OLD premo find's,that's super,all the times I hunted coin beach,no luck except a 1700 navigational device,congrads Earl

Back
Top Bottom