Why TTF instead of 4TF or others

TheCoilist

Elite Member
Why is TTF the "standard" FE mode? Why not use 4 tone Ferrous? Just curious as I see most using TTF.

I experimented this weekend with TTF vs Multi/CO and in a iron trashed area, TTF was able to pull non iron out. But why not use a 4 tone? Just curious if that would further enable ID before digging?

I can't speak for others, but I like the 2 tone...low it's iron high it's not, but rusty nails still fool me. I think two tones is simple for new users like me, maybe after using it for awhile I will experiment with 4 tone.

this is a portion of my article that I wrote on TTF from my website.

"Why use two tone and not multi tone? It may be a personal choice but by using only two tones it is SIMPLE……iron is low grunt, and everything ABOVE iron is a higher easy to distinguish tone. If you use multi tone, it will be murder on your brain trying decipher the musical song you will be hearing. When in this type of iron rich site the numbers will be bouncing all over and with multi tone it will be like a machine gun of tones going off, making it extremely difficult for you to really pick out good from bad. Keep it simple, iron low tone, everything else high tone. Go extremely slow and let the machine do it’s job.

I even experimented with 4 tones and this still was too much ear candy for my liking. I suggest you stick to two tones for the best performance and chance of pulling goodies out of all the iron. Also by using two tones you are allowing the e-trac processor to work as quickly as possible giving you even more chance to score the goodies."

Okay, that makes sense, but let me ask this...

TTF is two tones, do you dig ALL high tones? Everyone says to go by the "tone" and never look at the VDI display. Does this not mean you'd dig everything that is non-iron? I mean in multi/CO you have distinguishable tones suggesting silver, copper, etc.

So in TTF dig all high tones or look and rely on the VDI as well as tone?

Okay, that makes sense, but let me ask this...

TTF is two tones, do you dig ALL high tones? Everyone says to go by the "tone" and never look at the VDI display. Does this not mean you'd dig everything that is non-iron? I mean in multi/CO you have distinguishable tones suggesting silver, copper, etc.

So in TTF dig all high tones or look and rely on the VDI as well as tone?

depends on the site, if I am in a park and run into an area that I am nulling a lot, I assume something was tore down there and I watch the numbers to not dig a lot of can slaw etc....

but if I am in a field where a 1800s house was tore down I dig ALL repeatable high tones. I have dug small flat buttons and cuff buttons that come in as low as 12-06

the one dollar gold coin comes in at 12-06

shield nickels come in lower than normal nickels cuz diameter is a tad small, ones I have dug were around 12-10...12-08

fatty indians and 3 cent silvers are just like pulltab readings 12-22..12-24

so basically it depends on the site if I dig everything above iron

I feel silly answering this after Goes4ever, but I thought I would lend my thoughts. Basically 2 tone is all you need. All high tones will pop out of the low ones for an easier ID. What would be nice is to adjust the tone break say up to 23 instead of 17. Some claim that TTF will miss some good stuff because 17 is too low. Three tone would put a break at 20something, but the ears would take a bigger pounding. And three is not an option. 4 tones adds two more breaks at 7 and 30 which to me are both useless.

Last edited:
Perfect. That's good to know because I can definitely tell a difference in iron infested areas with TTF vs conductive. I may need to revisit some previous sites now!

If you use multi tone, it will be murder on your brain trying decipher the musical song you will be hearing. When in this type of iron rich site the numbers will be bouncing all over and with multi tone it will be like a machine gun of tones going off, making it extremely difficult for you to really pick out good from bad.
Difficult, but not as bad as you might think. It's actually pretty easy to train your brain to tune out the tones that are of no interest (not unlike the wife :laughing:). I run in All Metal w/28 tones on my 705, and anymore I wonder what I'm missing when I run any disc. Super trashy sites just require a coil change to tame down the "machine gun" effect so it becomes less maddening and more productive.

I guess that what I'm trying to say is, give it a shot. If you want to check out 4TF, go for it. Some will like it, and some will not. Personally, I like to have choices.

I feel silly answering this after Goes4ever, but I thought I would lend my thoughts. Basically 2 tone is all you need. All high tones will pop out of the low ones for an easier ID. What would be nice is to adjust the tone break say up to 23 instead of 17. Some claim that TTF will miss some good stuff because 17 is too low. Three tone would put a break at 20something, but the ears would take a bigger pounding. And three is not an option. 4 tones adds two more breaks at 7 and 30 which to me are both useless.
Well technically you could go to Multi and then push the Variability to 3 this would essentially be the same thing would it not? I have never tried it as I run the Multi maxed out, with no problems.

I also Like using TTF on my F75SE, seems like I find a lot of better targets using it.

Back
Top Bottom