Fisher F2 battery question..

mystery250

I should be getting my Fisher F2 I ordered any time now via UPS.

I've read that you're supposed to use alkaline 9v batteries. Is it completely out of the question to use "super heavy duty" batteries? I know they probably won't last as long, but will they harm the MD?

Thanks.

No, it won't hurt it.....just your pocket, as they won't last near as long.
And use headphones. The speaker sucks a lot of juice.

Yeah definitely wear the headphones for longer battery life. my 1st set of batteries I didn't use the headphones & they didn't last long at all. On my 2nd set of batteries using headphones all the time & they are lasting alot longer still 3/4 battery on the meter after about 10hrs of use
:digginahole:

I always used the ole copper tops, seem to last pretty good. I also have a E-trac and I still like my f2 enjoy your new MD

I used super heavy duty and they worked fine but died fast.. I would suggest getting rechargeable I just bought some and they work the same and save tons of money paid $20 for 4 batteries and a charger.

I wonder why Fisher says Alkaline batteries only in the manual ? NiCads and NiH are far superior. I have been cycling and recharging with an advanced battery conditioner for years.Saving TONS of $$$. Not some plug and play conditioner from HF or Wally World,Radio Shack mind you.The type I have ,the user can adjust peak rate ,charge,trickle,and cycles,etc. Hmmmm:?:

I use Energizer Max batteries in my F2. Energizers seem to fit the best, and they don't leak. I don't use rechargeable because the manual said not to. What I read is that (for whatever reason), the rechargeables introduce static. I don't have any idea why. Since tones are so very important, a clear signal means a lot.

I wonder why Fisher says Alkaline batteries only in the manual ? NiCads and NiH are far superior. I have been cycling and recharging with an advanced battery conditioner for years.Saving TONS of $$$. Not some plug and play conditioner from HF or Wally World,Radio Shack mind you.The type I have ,the user can adjust peak rate ,charge,trickle,and cycles,etc. Hmmmm:?:

Because those batteries will lose their "full" charge life over time

They say that if you use rechargeable, use Nickle Metal Hydride. (Approx. 8 hrs of battery life as opposed to 15 -20hrs. From Alkaline)

Why would Super Heavy Duty batteries die faster than regular alkalines? I was under the impression that they would last longer. They do cost more. If I'm not going to get longer life, I'll buy regular alkalines. :?:

Hi,

I use rechargeable 9volt batteries from Tenergy and they fit perfectly. I always make sure to be very careful when removing the battery from the MD. You don't want to break the clip that holds the battery in the compartment. Recharge are perfect and it saves you a lot of Money.

I use Duracell and sometimes Energizer. Definitely use headphones. Even if they are 5 dollar !!!! ones from Walmart. I had to use those once. I may have cut my headphone cord with my Ames....may have... I just slung them around my neck and went hunting. you'll get 20ish hrs give or take with headphones.

I thought I read on here somewhere that rechargeable don't put out quite the same power as a regular alkaline battery. I could be wrong on that and am sure one of you who know more about batteries then I do will confirm this.
I recently bought a 12 pack of Duracell UltraCell (I think that is the name) from a local hospital for $11.00. I don't get to hunt for hours a day like some people so for me I am sure I will get a year or so from this pack of batteries. So for me it would take quite a while to see the price benefits of quality rechargeable and a charger. Plus the frustration the first time I get home and forget to charge the batteries and go back out with low or dead batteries.

Good post on the Battery Clip!:yes:
Be Careful!!:shock::shock: They can break/crack very easily! Hard to slide it off sometimes. My wife has already broken hers once. Fisher did replace it at n/c. I asked the rep how many of these clips had broken? He laughed and said he had lost count.:lol:

I think this is a lousy design on the Fisher metal detectors. I think they should look into redesigning this aspect of their md's (clips) As far as rechargeable batteries and power, not an issue for me and I use both the F2 and F5. I only use a non recharge battery for my Garrett Propinter.

I cut a small piece of the plastic packaging from the batteries and
put it between the clip and the bottom of the battery.
The edge of the battery won't hang up when you remove them, so you are less likely to break the clip.

Another tip on the F2 and batteries, it is always a good idea to use high quality 9 volts such as Energizer or Duracell because some of the cheap brand batteries will swell in the heat and it makes it a son of a gun to get them out when it is time to replace them.

Back
Top Bottom