• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Newbie detector in Miami FL

histryhuntr

Hello, I will receive my first MD next week and am in the midst of a challenging learning process. I live in downtown Miami and not finding much information besides a variety of stories regarding beach hunting and their YouTube videos. It seemed I'd best look to an MD forum so here I am. :?:

Thank you

Besides learning the BH Land Ranger Pro, I need to reach out to the local parks people and ask them to clarify their regs. The only mention of MDs is in a section where they ban everything from blasting to building shacks on park property. I need to find out if they issue permits if you promise not to leave big holes.

Thank you

Oh, believe me, I've been going through these. I've also become an avid fan of NQ Explorers. They are all about Garrett but I decided the Bounty Hunter was best for me but what I wouldn't give to hunt in Australia.

Welcome from W Tn and HH

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Besides learning the BH Land Ranger Pro, I need to reach out to the local parks people and ask them to clarify their regs. The only mention of MDs is in a section where they ban everything from blasting to building shacks on park property. I need to find out if they issue permits if you promise not to leave big holes.

Hello histryhuntr. Trying to understand your post. Did you say you found mention of metal detectors in a list of things "banned" ? If so, then isn't that your answer ?

But if you do NOT see mention of md'ing (ie.: silent on the subject), then presto: It's not prohibited :roll: No need to "reach out to local parks people", lest you just risk the "safe answer" (because perhaps someone envisions geeks with shovels). The "clarifying reg's" is done by you looking them up for yourself.

And as for mentioning "holes", this is an even FASTER way to get a "no" (when perhaps the issue might not have crossed their mind). You're going to cover your holes and leave no trace, right ? Hence any verbiage re.: alter, deface, holes, etc.... does not apply to you (since the end result is what's implied).

Don't over think it. Just go. Avoid obvious historic sensitive landmarks is all.

If you call about a permit, I would recommend telling them your looking for a ring you lost yesterday. All parks have a no dig kind of catch all rule but most don't mention metal detectors by name.
I hope you get your delivery on time, but did you hear there is a hurricane headed your way? That could slow things down a bit.
Good luck and Happy Hunting

Best advice I can give is.. Be safe and leave Miami now.

I am curious what the storm will churn up on to the beach.

Like others said. Don't go asking too much or you may end up just getting the safe answer that Tom mentioned.

Welcome from Chicago IL. I just got my first MD a month ago and I'm new to this. Watching youtube, visiting forums and just getting out there almost everyday has really helped me.

I think I get better every time I go out. Happy Hunting!

:fmdfwelcome:

The key is to enjoy the hunt. There will be plenty of "bad days", but when you are having fun, it doesn't matter if you end the day with 50 pull-tabs and a penny. Mixed in with the bad days will be those thrilling finds & experiences you never want to forget! :grin: This is a great hobby and a great forum - welcome to both!

Oh - practice MDing in your backyard. That's how I started, and it's a good way to work on learning the basics and becoming familiar with your machine.

Back
Top Bottom