Possible Sundance Kid artifact

ChrisV

Hello,
First post and newbie when it comes to detecting. Ive been researching Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid for over a year now when I came across a picture that shows the pair in Utah and not South America in October 1901. Here are a couple articles on my research

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=43190360&n...eline-for-butch-cassidy-s-jordan-teacher-says

http://sanpetemessenger.com/2017/03/30/were-butch-and-sundance-among-sanpete-railroad-roustabouts/

Through my research I came across an inscription on a rock(I don't want to say too much, but will say it is definitely in the vicinity of where the Wild Bunch were known to be) that had 1901 and the initials of what could be the Sundance Kid. My research partner and I hiked the area with a metal detector and after two unsuccessful trips, found the inscription. The inscription is in the middle of no where and the detector did not hit on anything in all the miles we hiked, until we reached the inscription. To have it go off after hours of silence obviously was a rush. The ground is mostly rock with a little sand on top. We were able to locate the piece fairly quickly. Sadly, not gold ;) However, we did find this piece of metal. In my opinion, its a piece to the corner of a box? It does appear to have a square nail hole.

I was hoping I may get your expert opinions on what it might be. There might not be enough left to make that determination but think its worth a shot. AndThanks

BTW Some of you might know Sundance had a wife named Etta. Next to this inscription, in a girl's writing was the inscription ETT 1901.

Attachments

• metal1.jpg
    metal1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 266
  • metal.jpg
    metal.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 239
  • metal2.jpg
    metal2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 237
  • metal3.jpg
    metal3.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 238
First-off, welcome OP!

Now, I hate to be "that guy", but I seriously doubt anyone here is going to agree with your theory of what you have. Is it possible, sure, but I'd imagine your odds of winning a huge Powerball Jackpot are much better.

We all like to think we've found something special/rare, connected to some important point in history. It's my belief there's no way you could ever identify that piece of metal to anything, especially related to the SD Kid.

Good luck on your search!

First-off, welcome OP!

Now, I hate to be "that guy", but I seriously doubt anyone here is going to agree with your theory of what you have. Is it possible, sure, but I'd imagine your odds of winning a huge Powerball Jackpot are much better.

We all like to think we've found something special/rare, connected to some important point in history. It's my belief there's no way you could ever identify that piece of metal to anything, especially related to the SD Kid.

Good luck on your search!

Thanks. I agree with what you've said, the odds would be great and to prove would be difficult. Thats why I said "possible Sundance Artifact". Im not get into whether it is or isn't as that is a waste of time. Im more interested in what it is. BTW its not a heavy metal, quite light.

There are some pieces, this being one in my opinion, that you'll never identify. There just isn't enough there to identify. Sure, it could look like this, or that, but such a small section won't be enough to positively ID. I guess it could "possibly" be part of Noah's Ark, or a billion other things.

Looks like you've watched "DIGGERS" too many times and think like those two guys......

But hey......I guess you really just never know........

Welcome Chris. Regardless what the piece of metal is, the finding of the carvings is great. did you take a good picture of them??

I did on the Sundance etching. The ETT 1901 isn't the best. I could email you a few pics if you'd like to take a look :)

.... It's my belief there's no way you could ever identify that piece of metal to anything, especially related to the SD Kid.....

Agree. To someone new in md'ing they might fancy all kinds of "what if's?" on any such target. But to anyone who's been into md'ing long enough, they know that targets such as that are everywhere that mankind has gathered. I bet I can go out into my own back yard and find something like that. :digginahole:

Agree. To someone new in md'ing they might fancy all kinds of "what if's?" on any such target. But to anyone who's been into md'ing long enough, they know that targets such as that are everywhere that mankind has gathered. I bet I can go out into my own back yard and find something like that. :digginahole:

Your expertise is most helpful. Thanks :)

OK.....

OP it seems you're not going to be happy until someone validates your claim, so here goes.

I held-back telling you this, because my great grand-pappy was famous, I didn't want it getting out. His name was Butch (I'm withholding his last name for anonymity reasons). Anyway, I was looking through the pictures he'd left, following his passing.

I recognize your piece from one of the pictures of SDK's outhouse. See, you made me violate my promise to great-grand-pappy in order to tell you you were right. I hope you contact the nearest museum so the world can share in your find. Congratulations!

Thanks Bro .....Very helpful.
OK.....

OP it seems you're not going to be happy until someone validates your claim, so here goes.

I held-back telling you this, because my great grand-pappy was famous, I didn't want it getting out. His name was Butch (I'm withholding his last name for anonymity reasons). Anyway, I was looking through the pictures he'd left, following his passing.

I recognize your piece from one of the pictures of SDK's outhouse. See, you made me violate my promise to great-grand-pappy in order to tell you you were right. I hope you contact the nearest museum so the world can share in your find. Congratulations!

OK.....

Haha. I have a well-meaning friend who's got a detector. But he never gets out much to detect. But he's quite an good with local history of our area. And whenever he does get out to detect, he'll hunt the road-side next to, or nearby some area of historical note in our area. And comes to me all excited about various slag items he's found.

Eg.: a rusted something that ... to me ... just looks like a rusted piece of rebar or copper slag, etc... But to him, he fancies whether it's a gun part, etc... Another time he got a super worn down beach toast coin off a real old beach here. And fancied that he might have found a worn down reale. I had to be a kill-joy and tell him that's what "beach-kissed" coins look like after being tossed around in the surf-zone for years.

Back
Top Bottom