CTX3030 and gold

Chipk

Elite Member
At a hunt last night I overheard a conversation that basically the CTX3030 is useless for finding gold. I was shocked and asked for clarification and was told that it's not made for hunting gold. Period. A club member bought one and when he learned that he tried to return it and Minelab refused.

This was from a knowledgeable hunter. Is it true?

At a hunt last night I overheard a conversation that basically the CTX3030 is useless for finding gold. I was shocked and asked for clarification and was told that it's not made for hunting gold. Period. A club member bought one and when he learned that he tried to return it and Minelab refused.

:toofunny: Hahahahaha, Oh my mercy me... Someone was fibbing to someone... Show them this.

Found it a few days ago with my CTX 3030, as you can see, it's gold... My first gold and an awesome one. I wouldn't give mine back to Minelab or anyone else for that matter :lol:

picture.php

I will take a stab at the question. I do not think that he meant that the CTX is worthless for finding gold. It is just that gold can range from 12-02 all the way up to 12-30. It is up to each individual to dig a very large number of targets to find gold. If you watch Grave digger Max all he uses is a CTX. But he also digs every target he comes across. He and all of his friends use the CTX and they find there share of the yellow

I will take a stab at the question. I do not think that he meant that the CTX is worthless for finding gold. It is just that gold can range from 12-02 all the way up to 12-30. It is up to each individual to dig a very large number of targets to find gold. If you watch Grave digger Max all he uses is a CTX. But he also digs every target he comes across. He and all of his friends use the CTX and they find there share of the yellow

I won't argue with any of that, except one point, it can and does go higher on the numbers... the bigger a chunk of gold it is the higher the conductive #. The one above hit at 12-35/12-36. I daresay if it had been a bigger ring that number would also have been bigger. But point taken, most folks who find gold seem to dig a wide range of signals to get it. I think, but am not certain, that's typical with almost if not all machines...

I bet he was referring to small gold. CTX won't hit very small gold items as well as most single high frequency machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It finds gold, they can check my posts. Even small gold, but its going to come up as foil and you have to dig it.
No detector is going to tell you gold from foil

I bet he was referring to small gold. CTX won't hit very small gold items as well as most single high frequency machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm, I find 0.5 gram gemstone stud earings without the backs...at up to 9" depth with my CTX (check my old posts)...!!! That is pretty small and plenty good.

Hmmm, I find 0.5 gram gemstone stud earings without the backs...at up to 9" depth with my CTX (check my old posts)...!!! That is pretty small and plenty good.

That's pretty good. 9" is about the limit the CTX will hit a dime in my soil. A tiny gold stud earring, maybe two or three inches is about all I can get.

Last edited:
Ctx 3030

Grand Strand Tresure Hunters, a small group in Myrtle Beach, SC Use the CTX 3030 as their main machine, and Excalibur is their backup. Jim Brower, author of Gold Beneath the Waves use it also. It is not the machines problem if your not finding gold with it.

Most of my friends and myself usually don't dig in the ranges of 12-01 to 12-09 and 12-16 to 12-30 when working parks and that is why I have not found a gold item yet in a non beach hunt.

At the beach is a different story. I pretty much dig everything and I have around 10 gold rings and other gold items in just over a year. The depths I get on a small gold ring is incredible. I have dug a .5 gram 10kt ring over 8 inches at low tide in black sand. A 1.5 gram 10kt at 10 or more inches.

Yup i completely agree,The Detector is a HUGE PUD. Heck got a better chance of finding gold swinging a golf club on the beach.I mailed mine back to minelab, In fact i highly suggest that everybody swinging a CTX should return them ASAP!!!

Yup i completely agree,The Detector is a HUGE PUD. Heck got a better chance of finding gold swinging a golf club on the beach.I mailed mine back to minelab, In fact i highly suggest that everybody swinging a CTX should return them ASAP!!!

:laughing: I haven't heard anyone use the word pud since highschool:lol:

Back
Top Bottom