2nd Day with my new Excalibur, any advice?

pauln

I went to the beach today with my new minelab excalibur for the 2nd time. I upgraded from a whites beach hunter. Everyone told me it is an upgrade. I found about $6.00 however a good amount of bottle caps. I didn't pick up anything today that my beach hunter would have not gotten. I know I am new and once I learn the excalibur it will save me time from picking up as many bottle caps. People tell me it is heavy but I didn't find it too bad. I do have a straight shaft in the mail to make it balance better. I'm going to miss my beach hunter ID but I'm excited to learn and use the excalibur. Anyone have any tips or advice?

First, yes, you made a huge upgrade over the beach hunter id... I had one and was never overwhelmed with what it could do, and the little lights were useless in the bright sun.
Getting to know your excal ii... Settings: disc, threshold so you can just and i mean just hear it, volume HIGH, like at least 2 o'clock or higher, sens try running in auto until you get a feel for the machine, and disc at 1, the lowest.
Sit yourself down in a quiet place and wave different coins or rings over the coil, close so you know what that sounds like and then further and further away until you can just barely get a response. Get used to the sounds of targets at that "barely there" point and all else will come easilly... It's those deep ones that are the trick. The excal can be VERY deep if you know what to listen for. When you hunt like this with high volume and listen for those little blips any coin on the surface will sound almost like an overload.
When you get more confident try turning up the sensitivity, auto is fine, but tuning it to as high as possible but still stable is a few inches deeper.
It is almost a turn on and go machine, but learning it takes time, put the time in to learn the excal and it will reward you very well...
HH!

And make sure you note the roll off on the sides of the target. Coins are great with the roll offs, it's when I get to pull tabs that are a bit confusing. Thinking it's gold, I get excited every time but a let down that it's a pull tab. However, pull tabs = more gold chances!

I have yet to find gold with my excal, but I find silver. So many bottle caps = more silver as they sound the same to me. So do not get frustrated, you will dig caps and tabs, but by doing so, you will in turn find more goodies too! Remember, if those caps and tabs exist that means someone else isn't digging them so your chances are greater.

Just depends. Main thing is crank the volume up to get more depth. Best thing about the BHID300 is the reverse disc. In disc it isn't as deep as an excal here. In pinpoint i found thats a different story. I picked out an exact location once at one of my favorite beaches. Then for two days cleared out all targets with my excal. After i was done i ran my BHID300 over the same area and pulled out 3 deep dimes the excal didn't pick up. Problem with the 300 is you got to dig a hole when in pinpoint to switch to disc big enough to fit the coil in to see if its iron if the light is on the edge of not telling you its iron. Excal is easy to mod and mount a control where you want. BHID only has that pouch that will tear you up in the waves. My backs always scratched to hell using the BHID.

Paul welcome to the forum its about time you got the excal you will enjoy it. Run that test and let me know the results.
Steve

Back
Top Bottom