Need your help on my new AT Pro!!!

coinMD64

Elite Member
Hello There, I purchased a new Garrett AT Pro metal detector last September. After assembling that At Pro,I tried to learn how to operate this in right way. I tried to do tests on my new AT Pro shortly after I got it from a fellow MDer through forum PMs. I already read the manual book on that AT Pro before I went out testing that detector. After struggling to operate this AT Pro, I gave up and put into my closet for few months until now. I already pulled my AT Pro out to do tests again last week. Yup I needs to re-read its manual book once again. Its VDI numbers are new to me. I need your help on operating AT Pro. I already upgraded from Ace 150. I used to operate old Garrett GTI series metal detector 20 years ago. I am gonna re-read the manual tonight!!! Any help on AT Pro would be appreciated!! Thanks!

DITTO Digerdale.

Since you have an Ace 150, start using the AT Pro in the STD Mode. I upgraded from the Ace 250 and the learning curve was probably a little less, but your Ace 150's experience should help.
The tones will be similar. The VDI is a great tool but in IMHO it should always be a secondary tool. How the target sounds (round for coin) is most important. Walk around the target from different sides. Then look at the VDI to help ID what is in the ground.

Practice, Patience, Persistence

HH

Thanks much,NavMode!!! I appreicated your advice!!! I will learn to use my AT Pro in STD mode later this week. Yup,I had a learning curve to operate my AT Pro. I will have some experience as I use my AT Pro more frequently. Thanks! James

at pro help

i upgraded from an ace 250 and at first it was a frustrating couple of weeks. every other detector i own (whites,tesoro,ace) have a concentric coil , and this was my first dd coil. the coil pinpointing is much different as well as the hot spot on the coil.the center (where the two d's mate up) is the detecting sweet spot. i had to rethink my well trained ace 250 techniques and sort of start from scratch. without any direct questions from you , the most valuable piece of advice is seat time . bring the owners manual with you when you practice. i brought it with me so i could reference it while in the field. it wont do you any good trying to remember the plethora of new info. and try and apply it when learning .this will only cause frustration. you might want to avoid the pro mode until you get a stranglehold on the characteristics of the dd coil design and operation.this will cut down on the possible head scratching trying to decipher the endless chirps and beeps in the pro mode. if you have a yard , plant a couple of coins in the ground ,label the spots (golf tee works great) ,and practice . this way you know everything about what you are detecting and can use that info. to "SEE" what your detector sees.it is a good machine , you will be happy with it as you increase your "seat time". hopefully my ramblings will help somewhat .....

Most of the basic concepts are in the manual, but it's hard to beat getting hands-on as you learn. I kept the manual in my pocket for reference as i worked with the machine, but honestly, it came down to trial and error for the most part. Since you've worked with other Garrett products and MDs before, it should come quickly as you build off of your previous knowledge.

Your recognition of the tones and what they correlate to beneath the soil will come with experience-- there's no real shortcut to learning them... beep beep beep, dig dig dig. Dig up enough of any one item and you'll certainly come to learn the sound it makes.

Additionally, try to pick up a solid understanding of how the DD coil works, and how to move it around hits to give you the best auditory description of what's down there. It's a good fundamental to work off of, and the concept will help you to get creative.

As you work with your MD, you'll arrive at more specific questions regarding the AT's individual functions, features, and nuances, which will be much easier for forum members to answer than the general 'help me learn this thing!' ones.

Lastly, if you're really into it and have the time and space, try burying (and leaving) a few different items in a MD test plot in your yard. It doesn't have to be very big. Some folks put coins, pop-tops, nails, and combinations thereof in them to help learn how to distinguish sounds. The longer you leave them, the better, but make sure not to forget what and where each item is. These can help you learn your AT and any other MD you pick up in the future.

Happy hunting!

Like the previous posters mentioned, hands on is the best. I started a thread back when I got my Pro. I still refer back to it. I suggest printing out some of the pointers from the forum. Highlight areas for quick reference and take the printouts on your hunt/practice. I keep all of my notes/research and manual in my Garrett backpack. HH

Back
Top Bottom