"Northeast Electrictronic Archaeologists" - 2016 Spring Meet and Sweep #1 Proposed.

Pin N Dig

Forum Supporter
A few People have touched base on PM here and I thought I'd try to connect the dots here on one thread.

I am considering trying to put together a "Meet n' Sweep"... (yeah I made that up... unless someone else already did... :p )

In my thinking I picture a plowed field hunt event. At least thats the type of land I may be able to gain permission on from here. But I am more partial to woods hunts. Anywhere big enough to spread out whoever may be interested would work. Any suggestions or host offers can be openly discussed by all.

A few benefits might be gained by acting as a united front under the name "Northeast Electrictronic Archaeologists" ....

There could be better responses when approaching our individual local property owners and historical societies for permissions. Kind of put it out there as a organized united front...even though it's just for fun. I've had printing done for various fishing meets and the like. Patches, business cards for intros when asking permissions, T-shirts for events if we got bigger... ect. It's amazing how it changes how others perceive requests for land access.

For instance Big old farm fields. You can't expect to be allowed to sweep except before a planting or between crops. You won't have time to cover everywhere anyways so it's a prime hunt spot for sharing as a Meet. So tell a farmer that you understand that and have a few people to come in and try to recover more during a one day only hunt and they may bite.

It could be a good time. I've attended many similar meets with people from fishing clubs where someone else started with just a post like this that was well received and grew to be annual camping events. And that seeded solid friendships lasting to today from 16 years ago...so I figured I'd see if anyone here had an interest.

If the idea strikes anyone as sounding like they would be interested. Any suggestions or steering people here is how it starts.

The Mrs. said it sounded like a good time, so I'll keep this thread going a bit and maybe if there is enough of us interested we can hook up.

K-dog and D-nice

Last edited:
I am interested....

I am not from MA but would be happy to travel next door for a hunt...

Jim

Hey Jim,
We had Guys from VA and TX coming out to those fishing meets. I am about 25 Mi west of Boston. We had a 16 year run on that fishing meet. I drove upstate NY for it myself.... that recenty faded to black. Stay in touch and maybe we'll put something together. A hunt and BeerBQ could be a good time.

That sounds great ! I tried something like this a few months back just a dozen or so people I was hoping for...not many people signed up but if we could get an annual event going maybe get some vendors and sponsors to contribute we may have something here. I'm all in , would be happy to try to help organize as well.

That sounds great ! I tried something like this a few months back just a dozen or so people I was hoping for...not many people signed up but if we could get an annual event going maybe get some vendors and sponsors to contribute we may have something here. I'm all in , would be happy to try to help organize as well.

Sounds Good Cellrdwellr. The toughest part is keeping everyone talking on the same thread when no plan is in place yet. Stay in touch here and maybe we can breath some life into it.

I rented a room in a farm house on one of the last farms in a nearby town. Besides the old stuff thats probably buried there, the family has run a corn maze during Halloween season for many years.

I am thinking of touching base for permission there.... But ALWAYS willing to hear any ideas at all on other spots as I havn't been in touch for years and it might be a good plan to go out solo or w/ just the Mrs. a few time befor asking them to host anything...

Hope things come together , l think you have a great idea . I would be willing to travel , if timing allows .
HH

Once you kind of get things figured out, choose someone who can make a slick presentation, and present the hunt to the local convention and visitor's bureau, or whatever your local community has that promotes tourism. If you can sell it to them, then you have a great chance at a multi-year event that could bring money into the community (and that's how you sell it).

Good luck guys. MA is too far for me to go, and, MA being a slave state, I wouldn't go there, anyway, but there are others around you in other slave states that I'm sure would make the trip.

Rick and Captain. It would be great to meet up stay in tune here to see if things pan out.

Once you kind of get things figured out, choose someone who can make a slick presentation, and present the hunt to the local convention and visitor's bureau, or whatever your local community has that promotes tourism. If you can sell it to them, then you have a great chance at a multi-year event that could bring money into the community (and that's how you sell it).

Good luck guys. MA is too far for me to go, and, MA being a slave state, I wouldn't go there, anyway, but there are others around you in other slave states that I'm sure would make the trip.

C.J., Great plan for down the road. I am not thinking that far out yet but heck yea...why not.

My thing, for starters, is a bit more basic...just planned to meet some folks, Hunt a day and BBQ and Maybe sitting around a fire if theres any die hards at the end of the day... That was my big plan. The other meets I've enjoyed so much were based on campground camping over a weekend.

The bonus, I'd thought was maybe give it a little web presence here to show that as a club name as legitimate. Something we could use to approach land owners. But who knows this... sponsors... could be... but job one is getting out and having some fun.

Thanks for expressing the interest, all. Looking for a location in case I get shot down is really what it will come down to... We'll see if any ideas get flowing on Phase one of the planning...where :hmmm:

Sounds like a great idea, Count me in! I live about 15 mi. No. of boston and would really be interested in meeting up with other forum members. There are quite a few of us Mass. residents here and alot of others in neighboring states that could make this a real good turnout. Hope to hear more on this soon and let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

1. Change Electrical to Electronic,

2. Spell Archaeology correctly.

Yep, caught that today doing research... Can't promise it won't be the last time though. I often type as I am crashing for the night and it can get downright cryptic. Thanks.

Greeting Albie and Bear. Who knows what will come of it. Crackerjack really got the wheels spinning on how this could break the ice on protected or otherwise unaccessible sites.

Can you imagine permission to hunt historic landmarks. The mind wobbles. living around here is colonial site heaven. And many are not under state or federal stewardship.

It sounds great. I have found a lot of great ghost towns but they are all on State owned land and on the rule board it list no detecting as a prohibited activity :(. One site goes back to 1780 and all the cellar holes are there and some of the paths to them are still visible. What a loss for a MDer :mad:

It sounds great. I have found a lot of great ghost towns but they are all on State owned land and on the rule board it list no detecting as a prohibited activity :(. One site goes back to 1780 and all the cellar holes are there and some of the paths to them are still visible. What a loss for a MDer :mad:

I get that. Some amazing parks around here too. That's the grail of permissions (Gov't lands). Just wonder whats down there as I drive by...wondering what could be. :grin:

Depending on the location maybe I'd drive up with the ole XLT. I can make Boston in about 5 hours, give or take depending on if I drive the Escalade or the Crown Vic ;)

This sounds interesting.

Keep us in the loop on how this develops.

Depending on the size of the group, large wooded areas and dry ponds could be considered too.

I'm from Connecticut and I'd definitely be interested and I know a few other guys that would probably would be too.

Back
Top Bottom