My best find so far!

Is it worth getting a coin like this graded? I know its hard to tell from the pic but it doesnt look as bad as many of the coins i see online. Im sure its good condition at best.

It is very unlikely that it is a counterfeit, considering the wear. A Good must have full rims, and I see a few places where the rim is worn, touching the letters. So an honest grade would be AG-3 About Good or Almost Good, and I never found a coin worth over $20 at time I sold it, so big congrats. I can see the D on the coin and my vision is pretty bad. Amazing find!

My dad and I started detecting in 1976 and at any large park we almost always saw other detectorists. By 1980 we found little in 99% of parks.

Rockford had 306 people in 1840, 2,093 in 1850, 6,979 in 1860,and 11,049 1870. In 1890 they had 23,584. I would be too frightened to detect in Rockford because of the very high rate of serious crimes. Possibly that's why you don't get more people detecting with you? Best wishes.

It is very unlikely that it is a counterfeit, considering the wear. A Good must have full rims, and I see a few places where the rim is worn, touching the letters. So an honest grade would be AG-3 About Good or Almost Good, and I never found a coin worth over $20 at time I sold it, so big congrats. I can see the D on the coin and my vision is pretty bad. Amazing find!

My dad and I started detecting in 1976 and at any large park we almost always saw other detectorists. By 1980 we found little in 99% of parks.

Rockford had 306 people in 1840, 2,093 in 1850, 6,979 in 1860,and 11,049 1870. In 1890 they had 23,584. I would be too frightened to detect in Rockford because of the very high rate of serious crimes. Possibly that's why you don't get more people detecting with you? Best wishes.

Thats some great insite into the hobby. I had a guy stop me down by the river and tell me there was a company in rockford that made some of the first metal detectors. He had an old house and was approached back in the 70s by a guy who had gold rings on every finger and they were looking for gold coins. Im sure there is still plenty of virgin ground around here, just not in the parks.
How were the detectors back in the 70s? Or maybe i should be asking how was the ground? I would imagine less trashy back then. This hunt was at a house where the people that owned it for the last 30 years took immaculate care of the property and it was very easy compared to hunting the trashy parks.

IMO, by the time you have it shipped, graded, and all that noise, your probably right around the value of the coin maybe more. BUT, that's a pretty rare coin, and your likely to NEVER find another. That fact alone would make me want to do it. That's an awesome group of finds, congrats!

Thanks,
Having no knowledge of how much it cost to grade coins, my initial thought was it would be cool to have a somewhat rare coin that i found graded and in my collection.

Nice going, finding those two silvers so soon. It took me about six months to find my first silver dime. It was a brand new looking 1964 dime, that had just been drooped I believe. Now days I hunt only in older neighborhoods where the silver was lost years ago.
HH everyone

Hey its not over that was just the front yard. So I just got done this afternoon and this hunt is one for the books. So my neighbors have been in this house for 30 years and they used to have a dog. One day the dog broke the lease and lost its dogtag. They found the dog but never the dogtag and they looked and looked for it. Well yesterday i was just in the front yard and i returned today to finish up the front yard and started working my way around back. Front yard turned up 2 more silver rosies as well as some clad and plenty of wheats. Then got a couple clad quarters and eventually a silver washington. I noticed we had dropping air pressure when headed out the door and sure enough it starts thundering. So i headed to then back fence line and figured i would give the peremeter a quick sweep and see if we cannnot turn up a dog tag. I was looking for shallow and aluminum, got a good hit i thought was a penny and it turned up the probably brass dog tag. So with a storm rolling in i called it for today, still have most of the backyard to hunt this weeked sometime. So thats .89cents more and 7 more wheats, and 3 silvers, woohooo! Oh and a 100year sears anniversary tag. Did i mention i love my nox.

Attachments

• IMG_20180525_9976.jpg
    IMG_20180525_9976.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Almost forgot. Homeowners said that it made their day!

Attachments

• IMG_20180525_53692.jpg
    IMG_20180525_53692.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20180525_50530.jpg
    IMG_20180525_50530.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 37
Thats some great insite into the hobby. I had a guy stop me down by the river and tell me there was a company in rockford that made some of the first metal detectors. He had an old house and was approached back in the 70s by a guy who had gold rings on every finger and they were looking for gold coins. Im sure there is still plenty of virgin ground around here, just not in the parks.
How were the detectors back in the 70s? Or maybe i should be asking how was the ground? I would imagine less trashy back then. This hunt was at a house where the people that owned it for the last 30 years took immaculate care of the property and it was very easy compared to hunting the trashy parks.

In 1976, I had a White's Coinmaster 4 discriminator that said it rejected tabs, but in my experience it moved that beep to the edge. In many old areas, the bottle caps were the main trash & it did reject them. Depth was 2"-3" on pennies and dimes in moderate mineralization.My dad used a Compass Judge 2 that rejected tabs with a 50% depth loss.

Yes, the trash in parks in the late '70s was so much less trashy that I dug nearly every beep. In one park I was digging cone-top beer cans elbow deep.
At another park, I kept digging kerosene lantern parts, but also dozens of late 1800s & very early 1900s coins. Best wishes.

I never argue with a mercury dime. I like the green patina on all the wheaties too. Fun fun !

Back
Top Bottom