Indian Heads in Indiana

tommyb

About one month back I found an 1866 indian head. As i was looking through a price guide it said that you grade indian heads by how well you can read the word liberty on the indians head band. Liberty can be easiliy read on the coin i found without a magnifying glass and i was wondering if it was worth some money or not. Also i was wondering if any one has ever found an indian head in their pocket change. I was looking through my parents pocket change today and found an 1891 indian head? Thanks for taking time to look at this post.

It's hard to say without seeing the coin. But if all the liberty shows, and there is no other damage to the coin, and it is all worn evenly. Could be worth in the neighborhood of $50. But, that is not what a dealer would give you, that is what you could expect to pay if you were to buy it. Nice going on your find!!

Check here http://www.pcgs.com/prices/ for pricing info.
As Don pointed out, these guides are generally what dealers expect to get for them, not what they would give you - It would probably be safe to deduct 25% or so but, as with so many other things, it is only worth what someone will give you for it, no more no less.
Count on any IHP being worth a bit more than face value though .

Back
Top Bottom