I made an old man cry today.

Chipk

Elite Member
Last night on a local website was a cry for help. An older gentleman and his wife went to dinner and he noticed she was wearing her favorite piece of jewelry. It’s the pin her mother was presented in 1934 when she graduated from nursing school. After dinner they took a walk through downtown Fernandina Beach. When they got home he noticed the pin was missing.

He said his wife was nearly hysterical.

He went back and retraced their route to no avail. Heartbroken he posted on this site and I saw it. I advised him to call me this morning at 9am. At 8:59 my phone was ringing. We made plans to meet where they had parked their car. There was a 50 foot curbstrip but it only yielded a couple of pennies and a few pull tabs.

So I suggested we take their route back to the restaurant. It was a 3 block trip and as we got closer to the restaurant he became more depressed. But I vigorously searched every strip of grass or bushes and about 50 feet from the restaurant we saw the pin, leaning up against rim of the sidewalk. Despite his age he swooped on the chunk of 14K like a hawk on a blindsided mouse.

And burst into tears.

He told me over and over again what that pin meant to his 76 year old wife.

It almost made me cry.

This is a great hobby. This is my 14th return. I love making people happy.

Attachments

• 3F9C91C3-6666-4E4F-B483-C76C3CA148F4.jpeg
    3F9C91C3-6666-4E4F-B483-C76C3CA148F4.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 724
  • A3F45B7B-3CDA-4898-A9D3-9D2FA640E2E4.jpeg
    A3F45B7B-3CDA-4898-A9D3-9D2FA640E2E4.jpeg
    10.1 KB · Views: 717
That is a very cool story. Thanks for posting. The pins nurses receive at their pinning ceremony are special to them. Add the sentimental value and it was the most important pin to his wife. Good job.

Wow, that a was VERY nice example of how our hobby can sometimes serve as more than just a hobby !

Hats off to you for your help to them !!!!

It would have been really neat to see the expression on his wife's face upon seeing the pin again !

Congrats! Now, if you could just help them figure out their cell phone.

Just kidding. Sounds like they're on the up an up.

BZ Sailor. Those pins are more special to those who have earned them than I have the vocabulary to tell you. My wife would be devastated if she lost hers.

Way to go 👍🏻 good things come to those willing to help. Nice hat go Navy 🇺🇸

Iv'e enjoyed a few of your return stories so far, 14 is incredible!
This one is special because of the great sentimental attachment to the pin,
that's what makes an item truly priceless!
Great return and nicely written up too, Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom