Makes Me Laugh And A Little Vent

Jamflicker

Elite Member
Sometimes it makes me laugh when I look at a post and see hundreds of views and just a handful of comments. I know there are a ton of lurkers who don't want to contribute and I really appreciate the handful of people who comment on my posts. Those are the comments that keep me wanting to post but sometimes I wonder if it's really worth my time entertaining the other 500 or so people who don't comment. I used to write longer descriptions/stories but more lately it's just a quick few sentences and a photo.

For all you who don't comment much or just like looking, take a little time and make a comment once in a while for posts you like and just let the people know you enjoy looking at their finds. I know it's hard to comment on every post, but there are lots of good ones posted.

Jason

Last edited:
Good post! I've really enjoyed your posts over the years, very inspirational, always the goodies with nicely done photos!

I just look at the marbles!:lol: Really,the whole point of posting finds for me is to say to OTHER people..."get out there,have a good machine and know it well. Pick your sites wisely and these(my finds) could be yours!" This stuff is literally just sitting out there waiting for the serious hunter to find it in a variety of conditions. Don't sit on the sidelines when you could be posting finds of your own!
It is not only inspirational but also a challenge to others of sorts...get off your backside and BE a part of this great hobby,as opposed to just watching the world slide by with minimal effort!
Seeing an experienced hunters finds and knowing what machine they're using is a real head start. For ME, reading the forums and learning through practice and good advice has brought me to where I am now as a hunter. Lots more to learn,lots more to find.
Get crackin'!!

Understand what you are saying, maybe sometimes some people might feel like others have already said it all and they would be just repeating them.

But yes, even a quick comment would be good.

It would be neat if there was a "Like" button for those who like a post but don't have anything new to add to the conversation.

I guess the closest thing we have here is the "Did you find this post helpful?" link to click on. I click on that at times so the poster will know their post was appreciated even if I didn't have anything new to add to what others already said.

What are you whining about? Somebody didnt positively comment on your massive totlot penny haul the other day?:laughing:

Edited: Unsuccessful humor attempt...

Last edited:
Understand what you are saying, maybe sometimes some people might feel like others have already said it all and they would be just repeating them.

It would be neat if there was a "Like" button for those who like a post but don't have anything new to add to the conversation.

I guess the closest thing we have here is the "Did you find this post helpful?" link to click on. I click on that at times so the poster will know their post was appreciated even if I didn't have anything new to add to what others already said.

I thought that was a like button at the bottom where it says "did you find this post helpful?" I guess I'll stop using that then.

I thought that was a like button at the bottom where it says "did you find this post helpful?" I guess I'll stop using that then.

Well, technically you would click if the post actually helped you somehow, if someone simply posted a neat find I guess you could also use it as a "like" button, which would seem fine to me too :lol:

Good post! I've really enjoyed your posts over the years, very inspirational, always the goodies with nicely done photos!
Thanks buddy!
Don't know if ive trolled your posts before but thanks for the entertainment
Probably :laughing:
I just look at the marbles!:lol: Really,the whole point of posting finds for me is to say to OTHER people..."get out there,have a good machine and know it well. Pick your sites wisely and these(my finds) could be yours!" This stuff is literally just sitting out there waiting for the serious hunter to find it in a variety of conditions. Don't sit on the sidelines when you could be posting finds of your own!
It is not only inspirational but also a challenge to others of sorts...get off your backside and BE a part of this great hobby,as opposed to just watching the world slide by with minimal effort!
Seeing an experienced hunters finds and knowing what machine they're using is a real head start. For ME, reading the forums and learning through practice and good advice has brought me to where I am now as a hunter. Lots more to learn,lots more to find.
Get crackin'!!
Nice post bud!

I agree, a like button would be helpful. That's what I like about instagram.
What are you whining about? Somebody didnt positively comment on your massive totlot penny haul the other day? Wigger Please!

You got a real live girlfriend from Denmark or Sweden or some other damn nice place! A REAL damn Girl and not imaginatory! The rest of us? We all gotta sit around here at the house all day long all alone...eating Cheetos and watching SouthPark vids and waiting to crash a wedding or Funeral! i!:laughing: Mom! Meatloaf!

You really chap my ass with your ingratitude and thankfulness of what you got...Damn Tesoro Promises!
No whining, just stating an observation. I appreciate what I have everyday and my girlfriend in NORWAY. Sorry if I chapped you ass and enjoy eating those Cheetos with mom.:laughing:

JF, I understand where you are coming from. I try to respond when I can, for the following reasons:

#1) Feedback is nice, it helps people and lets them know they are not wasting their time.

#2) I try to help people whenever/wherever/however I can, even to the point of taking two sets of gear with me and introducing new people to the hobby. I don’t have a lot of experience, but I do like to help. I have only gotten as far as I have through other detectorists’ help.

#3) Communities grow stronger when their members communicate and help each other. (Think about your neighborhood) Otherwise, what would be the point??

The key words here though are “when I can”. It can be difficult to respond to everyone, especially if you have a large group or following. We are all busy, and some empathy must be shown in that area. Also, maybe people don’t know how to respond.

Since I am new, I decided to create a facebook page for all of my metal detecting endeavors (amidst a sea of many, I know….), mainly in the PNW. If any of ya’ll are interested, it is called Tough Run Metal Detecting. (Sorry for the thread hijack OP).

Thanks to everyone sharing and posting. You have helped me immensely.

Oldest coin- 1958 wheat penny.

I have posted things before and only had just a few comment. There usually is quite a few that look at them sometimes wondered why more never comment. I do not comment too much because I have too much trouble spelling. The wife usually runs the keyboard for me when she's home. In the evening she is usually working doing paperwork and I just do not bother her. Although I do have a thing on the computer that I talk into that has a hard time understanding me sometimes.:lol:

109 silver coins in 1 year is very impressive! I haven't been out this year as I'm in new suburb, don't drive & can't find a single person who will take me out even once in metro area of 3.5 million, even with offers to share site info & let someone try my detectors. Plus I have my biggest and best collection of detectors ever, but will be forced to sell most at a loss without even using as I may be forced to move soon.

Jason, great finds. The depression and envy just keeps me silent.

Just posting to post, I never read the post nor comments. But I think a lot of the views are from lurkers who aren't even members. Do those "hits" count as views in the totals?

VERY good question, maybe a mod might know the answer.

On the main page I checked and as of right then it said -

Currently Active Users: 842 (101 members and 741 guests)

Since the "guests" outnumber the members it would be interesting to know if when a guest looks at a post if it counts in the "view total".

If a member is not logged in they will also show up as a "guest".

I always wondered what your spots looked like, being so far on the West and totally different from here on the East..

You do quite good out there..

I always wondered what your spots looked like, being so far on the West and totally different from here on the East..

You do quite good out there..

Jason can comment more,but by watching videos and doing some research with mapping,I know about where he is hunting and under what conditions. They're not easy,just like many of our sites. So many hunters have gone through the greater LA area in the last 60 years that it's a wonder he finds what he finds,and that's why it's unique. But to achieve the results,he has to put himself on a site that has a chance,and then put many years of experience to work with a top machine to eek out what we see. ANYONE can find a silver quarter at 4" in that new permission at an older house. Finding a 9" Merc in rock hard dirt amidst a barrage of modern wrappers,tabs and nails is NOT easy,and that's why a guy has pride in posting what he has found. It is NOT easy.

JF, I understand where you are coming from. I try to respond when I can, for the following reasons:

#1) Feedback is nice, it helps people and lets them know they are not wasting their time.

#2) I try to help people whenever/wherever/however I can, even to the point of taking two sets of gear with me and introducing new people to the hobby. I don’t have a lot of experience, but I do like to help. I have only gotten as far as I have through other detectorists’ help.

#3) Communities grow stronger when their members communicate and help each other. (Think about your neighborhood) Otherwise, what would be the point??

The key words here though are “when I can”. It can be difficult to respond to everyone, especially if you have a large group or following. We are all busy, and some empathy must be shown in that area. Also, maybe people don’t know how to respond.

Since I am new, I decided to create a facebook page for all of my metal detecting endeavors (amidst a sea of many, I know….), mainly in the PNW. If any of ya’ll are interested, it is called Tough Run Metal Detecting. (Sorry for the thread hijack OP).

Thanks to everyone sharing and posting. You have helped me immensely.

Oldest coin- 1958 wheat penny.

Number 2 is what I enjoy most about this hobby...trying to get others going and putting out info that MIGHT be helpful. That's how we progress,and watching others progress is priceless.

Hey Jamflicker…. I hear ya and often times notice the large number of views and small numbers of comments in comparison. I see this in the other forums too. Don’t know why other than keyboard shyness or for whatever reasons…who knows? But I’ll say this… I thoroughly enjoy your posts as they are inspiring and makes me want to hunt that much more, and better. In fact, I have a deep appreciation for all who take the time to post their finds. The forums contribute so much to my growth as a detectorist and I’ll always be a part of the team for as long as I’m able to. When you approached me the other day in the field and introduced yourself, I knew who you were and I felt as if I already knew you…thanks to the forums. Keep on posting and see you out there somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom