Deus - Signal disappeared

SueK

Forum Supporter
I know someone started a thread like this a while back, but I can't find it so I'm starting a new one. Sorry for the duplication. Your thoughts about this would be appreciated.

Out hunting last weekend and swung over a nice bright sound. I pinpointed and removed a plug of loose soil. Swung again and no sound at all - not in the hole or the removed dirt. I'm running the Deus at -2.5 disc, so even if it had been a rust halo, I would think I would still hear iron grunts or something. Anyway, I put the pin pointer in the hole and it sounded off, I pulled out a handful of dirt and there was a Merc in it.

So, did the signal go away because the coin got turned on end or something? I would think I would still hear a small tone. Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks for any input.

Moist ground will amplify the target signal. Many times I have removed a large plug and lost the target. That's when I get excited because I usually get a coin sized target on the next shovel full. That's why you will often dig targets deeper in the ground than detector will detect with an air test. You will also notice when detecting the edge of a shoreline or shallow water you will find stuff deeper than expected. I love hunting right after a heavy rain.

I know someone started a thread like this a while back, but I can't find it so I'm starting a new one. Sorry for the duplication. Your thoughts about this would be appreciated.

Out hunting last weekend and swung over a nice bright sound. I pinpointed and removed a plug of loose soil. Swung again and no sound at all - not in the hole or the removed dirt. I'm running the Deus at -2.5 disc, so even if it had been a rust halo, I would think I would still hear iron grunts or something. Anyway, I put the pin pointer in the hole and it sounded off, I pulled out a handful of dirt and there was a Merc in it.

So, did the signal go away because the coin got turned on end or something? I would think I would still hear a small tone. Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks for any input.

Has happened to me quite a bit.
Moreso using Minelab fbs units though.

This is why it is important to have confidence with your detector.

You know what you heard,,and kept at it till you found out what was causing.

It could be a target's orintation change,,,could be soil matrix disturbed too.

Here is when things get interesting.
Wonder how many folks have had what happened to you,,but they found a nail first,,hence give up,,and the whole time the nice coin is down there.

Have I done,,when I first started detecting,,I say yes.

Has almost happened to me using Minelab fbs units,, Deus,,Makros,Noktas, etc.

I have even give up,,couldn't find,,,cover hole and resweep and could hear the target.

This would be one tip I would give to Deus users in particular.

If you hear a good signal,,but upon digging you can't find,,even with your pointer. Cover the hole and resweep.
If the find is down there,,,with Deus you have a good chance of hearing it,,,far better odds va say with a Etrac or CTX.

I have even btw,,,dug a find out in the plug while using Deus,,and swept plug and couldn't hear the find. It was in there alright. The soil matrix again being disturbed,,and just maybe the iron or nail,,in the plug with say a coin could get changed masking your coin uaing Deus.

Confidence here in a detector means a great deal.

Nice find btw.

Thank for sharing your experience.

Moist ground will amplify the target signal. Many times I have removed a large plug and lost the target. That's when I get excited because I usually get a coin sized target on the next shovel full. That's why you will often dig targets deeper in the ground than detector will detect with an air test. You will also notice when detecting the edge of a shoreline or shallow water you will find stuff deeper than expected. I love hunting right after a heavy rain.

Thanks for your information. Nice to know I'm not just nuts. :grin:

Has happened to me quite a bit.
Moreso using Minelab fbs units though.

This is why it is important to have confidence with your detector.

You know what you heard,,and kept at it till you found out what was causing.

It could be a target's orintation change,,,could be soil matrix disturbed too.

Here is when things get interesting.
Wonder how many folks have had what happened to you,,but they found a nail first,,hence give up,,and the whole time the nice coin is down there.

Have I done,,when I first started detecting,,I say yes.

Has almost happened to me using Minelab fbs units,, Deus,,Makros,Noktas, etc.

I have even give up,,couldn't find,,,cover hole and resweep and could hear the target.

This would be one tip I would give to Deus users in particular.

If you hear a good signal,,but upon digging you can't find,,even with your pointer. Cover the hole and resweep.
If the find is down there,,,with Deus you have a good chance of hearing it,,,far better odds va say with a Etrac or CTX.

I have even btw,,,dug a find out in the plug while using Deus,,and swept plug and couldn't hear the find. It was in there alright. The soil matrix again being disturbed,,and just maybe the iron or nail,,in the plug with say a coin could get changed masking your coin uaing Deus.

Confidence here in a detector means a great deal.

Nice find btw.

Thank for sharing your experience.

Thanks TNSS. I have learned with this machine not to give up. I'll hear something good, dig and pull a rusted nail. I know to keep looking because that isn't what I heard. You're so right about the Deus...I just love it. But I don't recall a target disappearing like that before. It was a learning experience, that's for sure. Thanks for your input!

Good thread! This has actually happened multiple times with me. I have actually had signals disappear and then NOT even re-appear after I re-fill the hole. I refuse to give up on these signals and have found great targets after digging more and using pointer. Whenever I dig a really old target or DEEP(say 8" plus) and scan with pointer and its clear I will dig a little deeper and knock out the side walls a little bit and scan/dig around again with pointer(the garrett carrot works great for this as I can bump up sensitivity)I'm always assuming a good target has friends. I have had the best luck with quarters as they seem to have best shot at a little friend with it(usually a wheat but sometimes a dime that may have been on edge or deeper)

Thanks for the input, Silverchef. I appreciate it!

It is likely the target got turned on edge. A coin on edge is very difficult for a detector to see unless it is in all metal (non-motion) mode. The greater the distance the less likely (and by greater the distance I am talking a 4-6 inches). Factoring size into the equation and it becomes even harder to see.

That is why your pin pointer could detect it. It only functions in an all-metal mode.

VLF detectors can also be called "surface area" detectors. If there is a lot of surface area facing the coil, you will get a strong signal (depth dependant). As the coin rotates to be on edge, the less and less surface area is facing the coil. The smaller the surface area, the weaker the response signal will be (and this even more depth dependent because magnetic field strength is inversely proportional to distance cubed - an already weak response field divided by the target depth cubed)

I once managed to pull a dime on edge at 8 inches. The only reason I knew it was there was a slight chirp on the all metal channel of my detector. It pin pointed like a coin, so, I dug it. It was in the side wall, on edge.

Very interesting. Makes a case for scanning in pin point mode again in those situations...Great! Thanks again.

This has been driving me nuts lately. I didn't seem to have that issue in 3.2 and I don't know why.

Another item that happens to me on occasion, is that I stop getting any signals for a short while. Which confuses me because my disc is fully negative along with my silencer.

The Deus software isn't the best, when you notice no signals when you know there should be something try changing programs or restarting the machine to reset the software. I have had that happen to me a few times as well, but each time a reboot fixed any issues.
Regarding the OP's question, keep digging sometimes you punch it down with the shovel. There is a million reasons why but trust your machine if the signal was there it didn't just vanish.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If I loose the signal, I will look to change the program and run through it again. Often the presets of the program might actually be working against you. Try deep or gold maxx for example. If I have something funny happen with the signal, I can recover or re-interrogate the target for better results. That being said, I have had things disappear. It one case, I had flung the metal item out of the hole area by accident when I put the shovel down!

Years ago they used to refer to these as "ghost signals" because they're there and then they're not. :laughing: Don't ignore them though because there's usually something there.

Sorry but i have to disagree, if this was the case with some machines i've had in the past, i'd be digging coins at 2ft, and that simply doesn't happen.
In my soil, if i can get 50%-70% of what my Deus air tests i'm doing very well.

That's why you will often dig targets deeper in the ground than detector will detect with an air test.

Dissapearing signals

I have often had this happen to me as well. Sometimes if I keep on digging, I find a really deep target, or a target that was on edge. One time, the coin ended up on the back of my shovel, so it was no wonder I could not find the signal in the whole...lol...

:laughing:

In my experience, when that happens the coin is usually on the plug side of the hole preventing the coil from getting over when swiping over the hole and being too high in the air when checking the plug. I usually dig D shaped plugs leaving one side attached, but if what happened to you happens to me, I break the plug away so I can sweep over that side of the hole well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do a lot of beach detecting and it happens frequently that I dig a couple large scoops of wet sand and No Target. I then take another scoop or two of sand and usually the target is recovered. Our machines work better thru wet or damp earth/sand than they do thru the air. Keep digging for a reasonable depth.

It is not just the XP Deus, My Tesoros did the same exact thing. All I can say if it was repeatable and it disappears when you cut a plug, keep digging because there is something there and it just didn't vanish into thin air.

This has been driving me nuts lately. I didn't seem to have that issue in 3.2 and I don't know why.

Another item that happens to me on occasion, is that I stop getting any signals for a short while. Which confuses me because my disc is fully negative along with my silencer.

XP Deus uses a ground rejection ground balance system. These parameters were opened up to a negative side that 3.2 version did not have. The question is would you have even seen the target at all with the older version ? You never know what you are missing, only what you are finding.:pizza:

Sorry but i have to disagree, if this was the case with some machines i've had in the past, i'd be digging coins at 2ft, and that simply doesn't happen.
In my soil, if i can get 50%-70% of what my Deus air tests i'm doing very well.

Depends on the soil and other variables. While its more common for ground and local variables to reduce depth potential there are other types of ground variables that can at times increase it , no matter which detector is used.

Back
Top Bottom