Detecting Campgrounds???

I haven't checked any campgrounds yet, but I would think ones that have outdoor vending machines might be more promising.
(from people pulling change out at night on their way to the machines)

I knew a ranger in charge of a boy Scout camp. He said that they used to find silver and rare coins in the vending machines that boys had taken from their father's coin collections.

We routinely hunt campgrounds when we camp. There is a lot of trash, but we find lots and f coins and tent stakes too. The better finds have been a wheat Penny, a working iPod, and a Swiss Army knife.

I knew a ranger in charge of a boy Scout camp. He said that they used to find silver and rare coins in the vending machines that boys had taken from their father's coin collections.

Wow, while those kids never should have did that anyhow, it makes you wonder if they had any idea of the value of those coins or if they just didn't care even if they knew :?:

Campgrounds & parking lots

I worked over a travel trailer campground last year and dug over 1700 coins & a couple silver rings. This was a large site & I only did the gravel parking areas. Going to continue the grassy areas yet. Steve in so la

Don't get caught on C.O.E. (Corps of Engineers) property with a detector. They require a "permission slip" and only allow MDing on the beaches. I checked into it locally, and after looking at the beaches during the water draw-down (flood control lakes), looked like the landing scene after Saving Private Ryan, dozens of unfilled holes. I didn't even bother......

Anyone ever done it? Might be a decent amount of trash, but people gotta lose coins and jewelry sometimes, yes? Opinions?

Vermont, the older the better with these kind of places. I found a defunct one that operated from the 1890's up until the 1960's. Silver rings, plenty of wheat back pennies and a some older silver did get under my coil.

Work it with a smaller coil and even go off the beaten path some to get what the other hunters missed.

New to detecting but been camping for years, recently took a trip to south jersey to a campground in Sea Isle city that has its own private lake and beach. tons of bottle caps and pull tabs but also tons of coins, all clad. While there was approached by a elderly couple and asked if i was the guy they called from Ring Finders. Apparently he lost his wedding ring in the lake. Shortly someone showed up with at CTX 3030 i believe, spoke with them, went out in the water and about 45 minutes later found the ring for them. Tried talking to him but he seemed all business, wasnt interested in chatting. Since i was there with the kids (6 and 7 year old) i wasnt really to focused on detecting at the moment.
But, to the point, campgrounds could turn up some good stuff. I only played on the beach on on my camping site, didnt venture around too much.

New to detecting but been camping for years, recently took a trip to south jersey to a campground in Sea Isle city that has its own private lake and beach. tons of bottle caps and pull tabs but also tons of coins, all clad. While there was approached by a elderly couple and asked if i was the guy they called from Ring Finders. Apparently he lost his wedding ring in the lake. Shortly someone showed up with at CTX 3030 i believe, spoke with them, went out in the water and about 45 minutes later found the ring for them. Tried talking to him but he seemed all business, wasnt interested in chatting. Since i was there with the kids (6 and 7 year old) i wasnt really to focused on detecting at the moment.
But, to the point, campgrounds could turn up some good stuff. I only played on the beach on on my camping site, didnt venture around too much.

You find all kinds detecting. Ones that want everything for themselves, ones that think you are infringing on their territory if you have a detector. Friendly folks that will talk and wish you luck. Others that will give you pointers and ideas.

The people on Ringfinders have to pay a hundred dollars a year to be a member. They want money, or most seem to. I have met some good ones. I won't join. I am very busy with my own adventures and website.

Have fun with your kids and make memories with them. More important than finding gold or silver.

I hunted Goose Lake campground, lower Michigan. 400-acre, 1,000 lot campsite.

Home of the 1970 Goose Lake music festival, with over 200,000 in attendance. A three day event featuring 23 top rock performers.

Bottle cap city!

I hunted Goose Lake campground, lower Michigan. 400-acre, 1,000 lot campsite.

Home of the 1970 Goose Lake music festival, with over 200,000 in attendance. A three day event featuring 23 top rock performers.

Bottle cap city!

I got a few very nice gold rings out of that lake in the campground. 6 so far.

Thanks guys. Ended up not bringing the detector, but found myself staring at the ground everywhere I walked..... :lol:

Saw lots of foil. bottle caps, etc. Still might have been fun digging though. Going again over labor day, so maybe I'll bring it that time.

I was in charge of a public campground during the spring and summer of 2015 and 2016... at this particular campground there were quarter operated shower buildings, so I assume the majority of coins would be near those buildings.

Like others have said though, there is a lot of pulltabs and bottle caps in campgrounds, hence why during the beginning of each week I picked up dozens while cleaning the campground with a pokey stick. lol

Sorry for the late reply.

I have been overwhelmed with spring cleaning and need some MDF for recharging my batteries.

I live in New Mexico and was shocked when I found out you can not detect the state parks. Thank goodness for BLM as I love the outdoors. Have found a lot of buried trash I carted out lol.

My first memory of our local state park had some old guy yelling at me I didnt pay the entrance fee and I owed him $25.0 dollars for a fine. After I showed him my little yellow slip I asked him to check again for my 5 bucks. He came back and said it was there, but was telling me you better pay or you will pay a fine. No apology nothing. I dont go to State Parks anymore. But will say the Rangers are very helpful and polite. Not sure where they found the old toll booth guy.

Our parks dont appreciate the free cleaning service and you can tell lol. I really hate that folks just throw their trash anywhere.

As said in some of the above posts, some are good and some not so good. I have hunted a few and they can produce some coins buy also expect a lot of junk. I am strictly a dirt digger and fairly new to this great hobby.

.... I live in New Mexico and was shocked when I found out you can not detect the state parks. ....

Here it is, copy & pasted straight from NM State parks rules:

19.5.2.24 METAL DETECTING: Metal detecting within a state park is prohibited unless a visitor obtains the superintendent’s permission to use metal detectors for scientific activities such as projects permitted through the New Mexico cultural properties review committee or to retrieve lost items.

[19.5.2.24 NMAC - Rp, 19.5.2.22 NMAC, 1/1/2008; 19.5.2.24 NMAC - Rn, 19.5.2.23 NMAC, 1/1/2013]

Notice that this seems to have been added on 1/1/2008 . I would LOVE to know what changed. What caused someone there to think: "Hmm, let's make a rule for no-metal-detectors" ?

For the "exceptions" alluded to, I see the world "cultural". Which is a dead giveaway that it probably had something to do with the thought that (gasp) an md'r might find an old coin. Ok, but ... what put that on their radar or plate to think of , and decide on, such that in 2008 they made the rule ? For example: Was an archie out-&-about one day, saw an md'r, and thinks "Gee, he might harm an indian bone" or "he might find an 'artifact' ?"

In CA state parks, there is nothing specific, as in your NM code. HOWEVER: We *do* have cultural heritage wording. And if you follow through, and define various words, and connect enough dots: Technically you can't find stuff older than 50 yrs. old. Yet in actual practice: The only time it's ever enforced is if someone were snooping around obvious historic sensitive monuments. Aside from that: The odds of running into someone who actually cares, is slim to none.

But it's fine: I never find coins older than 50 yrs. old anyhow :hi5:

Oh yes we hunt both state parks(ones that allow) state forest campgrounds, and with permission private parks like Yogi Bear Campgrounds. We have done quite well too. The more primitive State Forest ones have a lot more trash like pull tabs, screw caps and enough foil to build a battleship, but there is still a lot of good finds to be made there if you have the patience.The AtPro with the smaller coil works a lot better.;):yes:

Back
Top Bottom