Makes Me Laugh And A Little Vent

Maybe a lot of people feel like how I feel, that not all finds are worth posting (I mean, that's certainly correct, who is going to post a picture of a rusty nail?) and perhaps we feel a little bit silly asking "what is this?" when it's a piece of trash and not worth any monetary value (but still has certainly some intellectual value).

The truth is, most of the hobby is digging up utter !!!!. I'm happy to dig a spoon or a 1950's Wheatie, but I'm sure other people may not be not so interested in seeing a somewhat common penny. Plus, when all the cool kids are digging up old Roman coins, Mercury dimes, and Standing Liberty dollars, that makes ya feel a little...embarrassed...and I certainly have less to contribute. Oh well.

Nobody is a "cool kid" here Sadie. There are some very experienced hunters who take a lot of pride in being able to pull good coins out of diminishing areas and there are newer people who are stoked on a find when they thought none were forthcoming. It's the treasure hunters mentality,and no matter what is found...if you're out hunting it is a "good find".
Know your area and it's age and have reasonable expectations as to what you may find. Sooner or later you WILL be shocked at something you find. It might not be a Roman or a Merc or a Stander...but it will be YOURS.
When you find IT....post a pic!:grin:

Have to counted all of your marbles lately ? To make sure they are all there ?And it isn't even winter yet.:goodpost::fall-leaves:

Maybe a lot of people feel like how I feel, that not all finds are worth posting (I mean, that's certainly correct, who is going to post a picture of a rusty nail?) and perhaps we feel a little bit silly asking "what is this?" when it's a piece of trash and not worth any monetary value (but still has certainly some intellectual value).

The truth is, most of the hobby is digging up utter !!!!. I'm happy to dig a spoon or a 1950's Wheatie, but I'm sure other people may not be not so interested in seeing a somewhat common penny. Plus, when all the cool kids are digging up old Roman coins, Mercury dimes, and Standing Liberty dollars, that makes ya feel a little...embarrassed...and I certainly have less to contribute. Oh well.

What people don't understand is, many of those "people" it shows lurking, or viewing posts are BOTS for search engines, its not how many people are online, it's how many bots are browsing threads and pages.

Think about how many people you actually see interact on a daily basis on here, it's the same few people, not thousands and thousands of people all over the forums... there's not thousands of active members on the forum guys. At most, theres a few hundred that actually post, share images, and interact. Some of those "view" counts that you see are bots... categorizing threads for search results.

As far as comments on threads, I just thought that's how it was. I can post a rare find, one that I cant even find a picture of another one on the internet, and my thread get 3 comments... yet a guy finds a rusty pipe he calls a musket barrel and folks lose their dam minds over it. Hence why I quit posting my finds here, what's the point anymore? If a guy gets excited and posts a find, he's excited about it...when everyone looks and moves on, he's left sitting there wondering what the point is? Just enjoy your own find and move on I guess.

But, realize that not all guests are people lurking, their google bot, msn bot, etc

Another thing I've noticed is people clique up... my experience has been that water hunters do not comment on my relic finds posts, or any of them for that matter... but if another water hunter finds a dime and some fishing weights, all the water hunters over there complimenting their dime...lol

Just human nature I guess, but your post lets me know it's not just me thats noticed what you are saying OP... You have two choices, keep posting because you want to, or stop like I have wondering what the point even is anymore in sharing finds for 3 comments? LOL

Luckily for me, I could care less what people think about my finds, so it doesn't bother me as much. but then again, it does kind of defeat the purpose of posting and sharing finds you're proud of if no one is even going to communicate with you.

Just wanted to mention the bots though, so folks realize that theres not thousands of lurkers not posting on your threads...they don't post because theyre bots lol

........Just wanted to mention the bots though, so folks realize that theres not thousands of lurkers not posting on your threads...they don't post because theyre bots lol

Interesting info, thanks for sharing that !

.......now if those "bots" get AI (artificial intelligence) to the degree of "Alexa" or "Siri" then maybe they might start replying :lol: :j/k:

Interesting info, thanks for sharing that !

.......now if those "bots" get AI (artificial intelligence) to the degree of "Alexa" or "Siri" then maybe they might start replying :lol: :j/k:[/QUOTE

......that explains the puzzle to id before a comment :lol:

There are a lot of posts I read but don't comment on. Usually what I would say has already been said once if not 100 times , sometimes I have nothing to say or add , and sometimes I roll my eyes and figure if I cant say anything positive then I wont say anything :lol: ....... leaving a comment just for sake of leaving a comment is usually insincere or pointless.

But that's whats great about a format like this , it can accommodate everybody....those who like to comment and those who just like to look

There are a lot of posts I read but don't comment on. Usually what I would say has already been said once if not 100 times , sometimes I have nothing to say or add , and sometimes I roll my eyes and figure if I cant say anything positive then I wont say anything :lol: ....... leaving a comment just for sake of leaving a comment is usually insincere or pointless.

But that's whats great about a format like this , it can accommodate everybody....those who like to comment and those who just like to look

.....you could simply post "Just Looking" :lookclose: :lol: :j/k: :laughing:

......or the aforementioned :nothingtoadd: :lol:

.....you could simply post "Just Looking" :lookclose: :lol: :j/k: :laughing:

......or the aforementioned :nothingtoadd: :lol:

Well....to be entirely accurate I do leave " something " with each thread view......the view total goes up by one....so atleast there is that :laughing:

I do post a lot of replies , but to leave one with each thread viewed " just " to have left something really makes no sense.

Well....to be entirely accurate I do leave " something " with each thread view......the view total goes up by one....so atleast there is that :laughing:

I do post a lot of replies , but to leave one with each thread viewed " just " to have left something really makes no sense.

What, and let the :nothingtoadd: emoticon go to waste unused ? :lol: (Just Kidding :laughing: )

I stopped posting finds a long time ago... not worth the effort... if I want anyone to see them, I post them in chat or on FB groups

Understand what you are saying, maybe sometimes some people might feel like others have already said it all and they would be just repeating them.

But yes, even a quick comment would be good.

It would be neat if there was a "Like" button for those who like a post but don't have anything new to add to the conversation.

I guess the closest thing we have here is the "Did you find this post helpful?" link to click on. I click on that at times so the poster will know their post was appreciated even if I didn't have anything new to add to what others already said.

I definitely agree! There should be a like button for a thread, or even a post. I feel like the 'Did you find this post helpful?' button doesn't really cover funny or entertaining posts, so a like button would be more versatile.

It all started as a little child for me .
I still gravitate to books with pictures . The rest is all jibbrish .
More pics JAm !!!!!
Also remember one of those views might have been me .
I may have just slammed that post shut after seeing yet another massive silver haul after I just returned with 2 nails and a wheatie.
Sory bout that🤔
Dew

I definitely agree! There should be a like button for a thread, or even a post. I feel like the 'Did you find this post helpful?' button doesn't really cover funny or entertaining posts, so a like button would be more versatile.

You got me thinking - if it would be too difficult to add a "like" button, maybe they could simply change the wording of the "Did you find this post helpful?" to something like "Did you find this post helpful, entertaining, or funny?" :lol:

You got me thinking - if it would be too difficult to add a "like" button, maybe they could simply change the wording of the "Did you find this post helpful?" to something like "Did you find this post helpful, entertaining, or funny?" :lol:

Or something like "Click to like this post". But either way, I think there should be something added or modified.

I'm in the same boat as Nectar. I asked the question in my last thread.... It's not a congrats but engaging and enjoyable conversation that I prefer.

Back
Top Bottom