First time out with AT Pro

ToySoldier

Forum Supporter
After two years with the Bounty Hunter Tracker 4 I upgraded to an AT Pro purchased locally in like new condition on Craigslist. I experimented with it side-by-side with my Bounty Hunter over a selection of junk and coins for a couple of days to get a feel for both.

Yesterday I took it to a permission hunt at a 1930s brick colonial house located on a 3500 square foot lot in one of the solidly middle class subdivisions that popped up around the city during that time period. The new owners are doing some exterior renovations and will be redoing the lawn and landscaping in the spring. I had free reign. They said the previous owner was a hoarder and had all sorts of junk piled up in the backyard.

I had about 3-4 hours to spend on it and the photo below is everything I removed. The Xed out items were removed by my magnet sweeper after I first arrived or I spotted on the surface.

I've never had such a high ratio of good targets to junk. 12 pieces of junk, 21 coins, a few oddball household items. I had the Bounty Hunter with me to do some real world comparisons and there were high tones I would have dug with it that the bouncy readings on the AT Pro suggested weren't yet worthwhile.

I could have found all of these items with the Bounty Hunter, I think, but it would have taken three times as much time and far more trash. The feedback from the AT Pro really did make for a more efficient hunt. On the other hand, I'll exchange a handful of clad for a slightly larger trash pile and a few interesting household relics.

Indeed, there was plenty of junk in the backyard and my detector was constantly humming whenever I turned on iron audio. There were also tons of repeatable, loud, multi-directional signals in the penny to dime range. Yet, all of it was clad...not even a single wheat penny. I think the oldest coin was a 1965 quarter, and most of them were from 1970-1990s. One or two coins after year 2000.

So, I basically spent all of my time digging penny and dime signals and a few chances on a nickel/gold signals closer to the walkways. There were so many of these penny and dime signals that I just started marking them with survey flags as I searched for solid 85-99 signals, but I eventually ran out of time to do anything other than go back and dig what I had marked. More clad.

I didn't dig many iffy signals in the trashy areas, but I'm sure I'll get better at picking them apart as I get more time on the AT Pro. I also heard plenty of faint high tone signals, but didn't dig any of them. The Bounty Hunter didn't have the depth to detect them at all.

The best all around signal was that Masterlock dial. It was shaped like a coin, it was a step in front of the front porch, and read at 90+ VMI.

Attachments

• IMG_20181202_200016598 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20181202_200016598 - Copy.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 301
Congrats on the upgrade. I had a BH Pioneer 202 and upgraded to the ATPro. Takes a while to learn it's language but you'll get it. I love mine for clad and jewelry hunting. Get yourself the 5x8 coil and you'll be impressed. Extremely good at seperating targets in trashy spots and it's lighter weight makes it a breeze to swing all day.

Congrats on the upgrade. I had a BH Pioneer 202 and upgraded to the ATPro. Takes a while to learn it's language but you'll get it. I love mine for clad and jewelry hunting. Get yourself the 5x8 coil and you'll be impressed. Extremely good at seperating targets in trashy spots and it's lighter weight makes it a breeze to swing all day.

Yeah, I'm thinking about the smaller coil for both of those reasons. The AT Pro is way more coil heavy than the Bounty Hunter Tracker 4!

KT can appreciate you running the two machines together! His Majesty had a grade school that He consistently pulled many coins from the playgrounds...3 play grounds on the site. At the front of the school is a patch of grass measuring 40 X 60 feet. Each time after hunting with the BHIV KT would hit that grass a lick or two, but so many tones, just was a pita to try and dig everything. When KT got His Royal ATPro, one of His First Royal Hunts was that grass patch. By setting it up in coin mode only, KT proceeded to pull over 125 coins from that spot, leaving the iron behind. Coins were picked from 6 inches deep to the surface, and due to the age of the school, late 60s, no silver showed up, but there was plenty of clad. That was a low and slow hunt, watching the signals....elementary school so never figured any gold was present, and did not find any! :lol::lol:

KT can appreciate you running the two machines together! His Majesty had a grade school that He consistently pulled many coins from the playgrounds...3 play grounds on the site. At the front of the school is a patch of grass measuring 40 X 60 feet. Each time after hunting with the BHIV KT would hit that grass a lick or two, but so many tones, just was a pita to try and dig everything. When KT got His Royal ATPro, one of His First Royal Hunts was that grass patch. By setting it up in coin mode only, KT proceeded to pull over 125 coins from that spot, leaving the iron behind. Coins were picked from 6 inches deep to the surface, and due to the age of the school, late 60s, no silver showed up, but there was plenty of clad. That was a low and slow hunt, watching the signals....elementary school so never figured any gold was present, and did not find any! :lol::lol:

Thanks, King! After work yesterday I went to an area of my yard I had detected several times with the Bounty Hunter Tracker 4. With the ATPro in Pro Zero mode, two notches down on sensitivity (right under my power lines), I found two excellent signals in less than 5 minutes.

Signal 1 was reduced volume, but high tone in the penny range and steady in all directions.

Signal 2 was nice and loud, solid in all directions, and in the nickel/gold range.

I switched to the Bounty Hunter Tracker 4 in "tone mode" with the sensitivity on full blast and discrimination on about 40%.

With signal 1 I literally had to push the detector into the grass and against the ground while swinging to get the signal. If I backed off the sensitivity it disappeared. I dug the target and it was a wheat penny about 5 inches deep. I then thought about all the area I've covered with that detector swinging a few inches above ground and with less than 100% sensitivity.

With signal 2 the Bounty Hunter gave a broken, clipped signal. I rolled back the discrimination all the way to zero and the signal came together a little, but not by much. Not something I would have dug. Clearly, the discrimination/notch in the Bounty Hunter in its discrimination/tone mode is pretty aggressive if it's filtering out something the AT Pro saw as a solid, steady nickel/gold tone. Alas, the target ended up being a completely flattened screw cap. The Bounty Hunter would have saved me the trouble, but I'm wondering whether it's too heavy handed in notching out that range. Perhaps I'll do some comparison tests by burying a few objects in that gold range.

Last edited:
, but I'm wondering whether it's too heavy handed in notching out that range. Perhaps I'll do some comparison tests by burying a few objects in that gold range.

I wouldn't worry about gold range, I've waved a dozen different pieces of gold at my pro and gotten a dozen different readings.

Thanks, King! The Bounty Hunter would have saved me the trouble, but I'm wondering whether it's too heavy handed in notching out that range. Perhaps I'll do some comparison tests by burying a few objects in that gold range.

KT must say He never found any gold with the BH T4, but did eyeball a gold necklace on a totlot while using it. After nearly a year, KT bought a Tesoro Compadre, and within 4 hunts had recovered 3 gold rings, at depths from 6 to 9 inches! KT after a couple years learned to first run the BH and if it was quiet, then grab the Tesoro and run with no discrim. If His Majesty got any signals, they were dug. This was mostly in wood chip, sand, and pea gravel totlots. But that BH was and still is a coin vacuum at 5 inches and shallower. :laughing::laughing: unfortunately, the last time KT went to turn on the Compadre, it is dead. Got a lifetime warranty, maybe The King should see about sending it in for repair.

Run it in pro mode zero and don’t forget to ground balance it. It’ll be an amazing machine in that mode. You will find some gold in that mode. Dig midtones between 50-60 . Usually a solid 53 is 14k. Just be patient.

Run it in pro mode zero and don’t forget to ground balance it. It’ll be an amazing machine in that mode. You will find some gold in that mode. Dig midtones between 50-60 . Usually a solid 53 is 14k. Just be patient.

X2. Pro mode zero.

Iron audio off.
Set the first tone u hear at 38.(nothing under that is worth digging)
Sensitivity all the way up.
And ground balance automatically.

Gold can ring up at any number. Not just 52.
It depends on the amount and thickness.
The pink ring was at 44 & my big sapphire ring comes up as 78. Both are 14K.

It takes a good year til u r totally comfortable with it. Good luck

Attachments

• attachment.jpeg
    attachment.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 140
  • photo-20170220032945.jpeg
    photo-20170220032945.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 122
The 5 x 8 search coil is a must have. Once I put it on, it never came off. It's super light, separates good and will get around 7+ inches on a dime. Always run the pro mode with the iron audio off. Notching is for sissies, dig all repeatable targets with ID numbers above 40 that don't bounce around too much. Good luck!

beephead

Back
Top Bottom