• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Noob W/o A Detector

Porkrind

Hey all!

I’m brand new to this but I’ve been adventurous my entire life. My son who is 11 is also very adventurous and loves being outdoors. More recently he’s been asking me if I could buy him a detector so I did a bit of looking and picked him up a Bounty Hunter LRP on what I think was a fair price ($220). My question is this I have the choice for myself between buying a new Fisher F19 and a very lightly used Fisher F75 LTD camo with an extra 5” sniper coil that has its own extension bar. Also the F75 comes with a set of Garret headphones and all for the same of the F19. With that being said I live in central Oklahoma and I lack a lot of knowledge regarding our soil composition. Right now if I had to guess my son and I would mostly be scanning around our lakes edges, campsites, parks, etc... so what’s the better choice out of the two or am I missing something like a White’s MX7 by not even looking at it?

The F75 LTD is an awesome all-around machine, the F19 is often advertised as a "gold machine", with its higher frequency. Warranties usually DO NOT transfer with a used machine, but if you can get the F75 with the extras you state, at the price of a new F19...well, I would go for that (but that's me).

Fisher Labs is owned by First Texas Products - who also own Teknetics and Bounty Hunter.
Check out the Teknetics line, and the differences in price:
T2 same as F75 (base model, not "SE" or "LTD")
G2 same as F19
"Patriot" same as F70
"Omega" very similar to the F5

Currently, I am considering the Teknetics Patriot, which is identical to the Fisher F70. The F75 may have an edge in performance over the 70, but there are those swear by the F70 as being better.

The F75 LTD is an awesome all-around machine, the F19 is often advertised as a "gold machine", with its higher frequency. Warranties usually DO NOT transfer with a used machine, but if you can get the F75 with the extras you state, at the price of a new F19...well, I would go for that (but that's me).

Fisher Labs is owned by First Texas Products - who also own Teknetics and Bounty Hunter.
Check out the Teknetics line, and the differences in price:
T2 same as F75 (base model, not "SE" or "LTD")
G2 same as F19
"Patriot" same as F70
"Omega" very similar to the F5

Currently, I am considering the Teknetics Patriot, which is identical to the Fisher F70. The F75 may have an edge in performance over the 70, but there are those swear by the F70 as being better.

Thank you for the reply. The used F75 I was looking at has now sold since I told my friend not to let my decision hold him up. Now my focus is shifting to the new F75+ possibly. I was hoping for more feedback but it appears as if everyone is stuck on the Makro’s, Nox’s, and Deus with very little interest remaining for this discussion. I was really considering trying to be a part of this site but the lack of responses has been somewhat discouraging and I’ll probably just move on to being a lurker if I stick around.

Thank you for the reply. The used F75 I was looking at has now sold since I told my friend not to let my decision hold him up. Now my focus is shifting to the new F75+ possibly. I was hoping for more feedback but it appears as if everyone is stuck on the Makro’s, Nox’s, and Deus with very little interest remaining for this discussion. I was really considering trying to be a part of this site but the lack of responses has been somewhat discouraging and I’ll probably just move on to being a lurker if I stick around.

Don't forget us Garrett fan boys. ATPro is the best obsolete detector out there. I think with the whole First Texas Family you get what you pay for. They have everything from toys to excellent machines priced accordingly.

I looked up an f75 looks like a decent machine. My only concern would be it's not water proof. At that price your not far from a waterproof machine. If your wanting to hunt lake edges you might want to consider a waterproof machine. Most of the mid range detectors have waterproof coils, but if you fall in your out of luck.

I like the Teknetics line as I started out with a Gamma 6000 and then a Omega 8000 before graduating to a Equinox. I don't think I will ever sell my Gamma 6000 as I love that machine.

As to your statement about going back to being a lurker due to the lack of response to your one and only question.. If you are going to get that upset over no one posting a reply.. well maybe then you are a little too sensitive for this type if thing.. either way .. good luck with whatever you purchase.

As to your statement about going back to being a lurker due to the lack of response to your one and only question.. If you are going to get that upset over no one posting a reply.. well maybe then you are a little too sensitive for this type if thing.. either way .. good luck with whatever you purchase.

Agreed:yes: We wear man pants around here. Sounds like you should buy some if you are that easily discouraged/upset then come back and participate.....or not.:D

I'm a big fan of the AT Pro...although I bought a Nox 800, the AT Pro is an excellent machine, and you can upgrade to the Nox if you want to in the future.....like I did. I went from the F2 to the ATP to the Nox (with the Ace 250 thrown in for good measure due to it being a can't say no deal)

Don't be discouraged Porkrind. You are posting on a subforum, that may not get a lot of views. Loads of knowledge here, and very helpful, and friendly folks. Welcome to our Forum......Curt

Porkrind,

2 questions.

What is your budget ?
What will be your main type of hunting (coins, relics, water) ?

F75 by a mile..I like the f19 and think it’s a great all around machine but only has 2 tones and is limited on features compared to the F75..Both are great but the F75 is just so much better.

Based upon your post, I think both you and your Son will be about OK with any mid range rig...This Sport is more of a mindset than the terminal tackle....You gotta like being outdoors, inquisitive and on the HUNT for about anything!

So if 'Outdoor Pursuit Oriented' Sports attract you..then Detecting is Perfect! Its year round, so seasons, licenses or limits...No boat ramp fees or a long list of rules....You just go HUNT! With or without a detector!

But OK...dont worry too much about the initial outlay...get a decent In field proven rig that your mind seems to sync with...might be the F70, might be the AtPro...Might be a Compadre....

These are tools that all hold a residual value if you ever want to resell it...so Its not like a guy is out the total upfront expense..figure about half, and on a mid priced decent rig, in the hands of a dedicated Hunter, a guy is gonna pay for it in about a half years haul of clad alone...

Dont overthink this! Get a rig and get out! Time and Treasure wait for NOBODY! Natural Born Hunters and Men that cant sit Still can find more silver and gold without a rig at all! To them the rig is nothing more than a stage prop...theres plenty of them here...

Hi Porkrind,
how are you and the Quest Pro doing along with your son on the LRP. I would love to hear your impressions and questions about the Quest Pro. I was one of the guys that got blasted on another forum for just mentioning the Quest brand. Quest advertises on this forum so no problem here. Don't be a lurker. Let us know how its going.

Jeff

Iwas really considering trying to be a part of this site but the lack of responses has been somewhat discouraging and I’ll probably just move on to being a lurker if I stick around.

C'mon my man! Stick around. Lack of response sometimes happens this time of year. I noticed you haven't posted any response to any other persons thread. Get involved! This is a great forum. You didnt even tell me how nice my Indian head penny was!

Welcome to the forum! Let us know how you do with the Quest Pro. The LRP is a good detector for that price range.

You wondered about the White's MX7. I saw a video by White's comparing air tests where MXT got 10.5" on a quarter, MX5 11.5" and MX7 12.5", plus the MX7 was quieter, too. I notice few are for sale used, so I guess people like them. A tad expensive at just over $500, but could be worthwhile to get one if a good deal is seen used.

Pleased be assured people on the forum are here to help. Not everybody reads the forum every day, but most people do get answers sooner or later.

Best wishes & happy hunting, George (MN)

Merry Christmas and welcome to the forum! I'm sorry I don't have any experience with those two machines, but I hope that you and your son enjoy your new hobby and make lots of fun memories together. :yes:

Please stick around! CTCurt is right: with this being a subforum, there are likely to be fewer views. This is the first I've come across this thread myself, but I am glad I did! I hope that you will remain a part of the forum, as I would really enjoy reading your future posts. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom