• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

If you were able to custom build your own Metal Detector...

Tin-Tin

Elite Member
What would it be like? What would your custom built MD have, to make life easier for you?

I think the first thing I would add would be a built in battery charger. Plug it in over night and your ready to go the next morning. No more batteries and it comes with a removeable tray that plugs into your car lighter for a quick charge. Lasts for 10hrs+

It must have a larger screen (for the sight impaired), lighter, yet stronger shafts. It must be waterproof up to 30ft, with a wide assortment of snap-on snap-off coils with quick snap-on release leads. (also waterproof)

It must come with a state of the art pinpointer.

It would come with a nice set of Bose earphones. Light, not to bulky with a long enough lead wire to be able to set the MD down without pulling them off your head.

A well lighted display screen (which can be turned on and off) with build in lights around the coils for night hunts.

The list goes on and on I'm sure.

So, what type of MD would you build, if you could have one custom built?

Well the lighted display screen and the large screen is already avaliable in the x-terra 705.

I would want something with the lightness of the 705 but with a carbon fiber shaft. But with multi frequencies.

With a Screen and waterproof up to 50 ft.

The pinpointing abilities of a pro pointer but in a detector.

I like your idea of the snap on and off coils but I feel like they would eventually get loose and fall off in the water and there it goes.

Automatically put the detector into pinpoint mode when you take the pinpointer out of its holder and reset the machine (avoid detuned machine.) When the pointer is put back. the main coil is engaged.

LED lights on control arm that illuminate the coil, and one that illuminates the pinpointer WELL (not just one dinky LED.)

CLOCK on detecting screen. In winter, it's hard to get to my watch.

Caller ID / SMS on detecting screen via bluetooth. I hate pulling out my phone all the time. I only want display - I'd get the phone out to answer, etc.

Sweep speed recommendation. Like a metronome.

Iron likelihood indicator that accumulates info as you rotate around target.

Operator-visible LED flasher for pinpointed target. This would be at the bottom of the shaft above the coil so you could see it as you pinpoint (not have to look at display.)

Break down into back-pack size.

Light weight like a Bounty Hunter, depth of an E frac, simplicity of use like an AT Pro, water proof, built in pointer, and lighted display with clock, for under five hundred bucks:lol: I know, But one can dream.

If my CTX3030 had my Etracs Sunray Probe, and a variability setting in 50CO tones,it would be my dream machine!

It comes close though!

a waterproof etrac which weights under 3 lbs and costs under 1000 bucks

It would just spit out $100.00 bills everytime I swung the thing....That would be a hot item...yeah?:laughing::cool:

Something simple and with vibration cause I do not hear to well. I am fine in quite areas but in parks and close to roads I struggle. Since I can't hear well I do not like to wear headphones cause it really makes it to where I can't hear something/someone coming up on me.

I would also like to add it should have a large enough screen, with X-ray mode to show whats in the ground before you dig. If its can slaw, pull-top or trash, you could see it before digging.

It would save me time digging the pesky tin eraser wraps.

The wife added that the coil should have blades that spin, like a weedeater to dig the plug. I don't think she sees the whole picture. :)

Mine would be my Garrett AT Gold with a few more bells and whistles as follows:

* Backlit display with ON/OFF switch
* Clock
* GPS
* Saltwater Capability
* Built in waterproof Digital Video Camera
* USB port to import/export data and video

ok....so maybe a bit MORE than a few bells and whistles!
Also needs to remain in my price budget!

A small remote control F75 LTD on an all-terrain platform. Go to the hunting grounds, program in the grid you want it to run, or just steer it with the joystick...turn it on and let it go, sit back...and when it detects a probable silver, it alerts you, marks the spot, then continues on...and you go dig when you feel like getting up:laughing:...Until then, I'm pretty happy with the one I'm using now.

One with a gold notch that signals when you swing over gold...yeah a guy can dream

Back
Top Bottom