• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

beach wind direction

My guess would be going straight out from land to sea, helps blow the tide out a bit further than predicted and also helps flatten any waves a bit...
I look for winds like this and hunt different spots accordingly if it will flatten out otherwise tough spots.
windfinder.com is a good site for this

Although I think offshore winds are nice to flatten and smooth waves they are not any good unless you just want fresh drops. Onshore winds that come at an angle are much better at creating cuts and scallops. Winds more directly from the east will create more rip currents which means some deeper channels. That's my observation but I'm not an expert.

My guess would be going straight out from land to sea,....

Huh ? How do you figure ? I think Felix is correct :

... Onshore winds that come at an angle are much better at creating cuts and scallops. ....

Yes: We want the waves to be driven further on-shore, to preferably break right up at the dune line. (So that means combined with swells and high tide day/times). When that happens, then there's erosion.

Offshore winds are great for the dry sand. Don't even need a detector. Blows the sand exposing coins and jewelry to pickup off the surface.

Remember the coast does not run due north and south. Below palm beach the direction is different than above palm beach.

Look at a map of the beach you want then figure out the wind you need. There are little jogs in the beach that erode or cut sand before others. Usually need two days or more. High surf and moons phase helps to.

Stay safe, learn how to recognize and survive a rip current.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best ive found is a good East wind this time of they year with our tide swings. It tends to pull more off the beach..... and when its low tide it goes farther out. Second best .... NE. It tends to move sand naturally S. cutting troughs in the built up sand.... which could be near shore or mid water. Beaches are different here to...... we have flat beaches..... and high bank ones... the wind can affect them totally different.

I didn’t think about your coast. Over here on the East coast that East wind has sand piling up. Maybe I’ll run over there sometime since ask we have gas are East our southeast winds for a long time. What fronts we had only last a day but next weekend is looking good right now Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunting in the water...

I like no winds in combo with lowtide. Less water movement, smoother running detector. I can hear the faints better...

Fresh drop beach, off shore winds but not so bad you can't hear.

Although I think offshore winds are nice to flatten and smooth waves they are not any good unless you just want fresh drops. Onshore winds that come at an angle are much better at creating cuts and scallops. Winds more directly from the east will create more rip currents which means some deeper channels. That's my observation but I'm not an expert.

Agree need the wind to stir things up a bit.

Some of the best finds are found during conditions that are NOT ideal. Afterall, you can strike spots while the cherry pickers and folks that only hunt prime conditions are sitting at home. :cool:

Thanks for the info. I'm in south Palm Beach.
the conditions have have been awful. Very sanded in, few finds.
Hope it improves soon

Some of the best finds are found during conditions that are NOT ideal. Afterall, you can strike spots while the cherry pickers and folks that only hunt prime conditions are sitting at home. :cool:

Something's not adding up here. If non-ideal conditions "produce some of the best finds", then wouldn't that make those conditions "ideal" ? By definition :?:

In other words: Don't we define "ideal" as when the "best finds are made". :?:

I think what your'e driving at is "flukes" happen. Ok, sure. Anyone can go to enough beaches long enough, and find random pockets at odd un-expected times. Or a fresh lost ring.

But if someone is wanting to make the best use of their time, then doesn't it make sense to play-the-odds for conditions which produce erosion ?

An example is : If you're in Las Vegas playing blackjack, and you have 20 in your hand, do you take another hit ? Or do you hold ? After all, the next card *might* be a one card. Right ? Yet as you know, the *odds are*, that it's not a one card. Same logic for md'ing : You *might* find a goodie on days when mother nature's conditions lean towards "sanded in". But the "odds are", that you won't.

If someone can have the best-of-both-worlds, (unlimited detecting hours), then sure. But if he wishes to hone his time to the most-likely-slots/days, then .... he goes on the most-likely slots/days.

Tom, my ideal water hunting conditions tend to happen when i have the wind coming from the land headed out to sea. I am talking about water hunting here. That wind helps push the tide out just a little bit more and flattens out some waves as well, handy when you are out neck deep.
If I have a straight in from the ocean to the beach wind it just sands in, moves the sandbar right up to the beach.
As far as BEACH hunting and looking for erosion i would guess a solid cross wind or angling in towards shore would be welcome.

Something's not adding up here. If non-ideal conditions "produce some of the best finds", then wouldn't that make those conditions "ideal" ? By definition :?:

In other words: Don't we define "ideal" as when the "best finds are made". :?:

I think what your'e driving at is "flukes" happen. Ok, sure. Anyone can go to enough beaches long enough, and find random pockets at odd un-expected times. Or a fresh lost ring.

But if someone is wanting to make the best use of their time, then doesn't it make sense to play-the-odds for conditions which produce erosion ?

An example is : If you're in Las Vegas playing blackjack, and you have 20 in your hand, do you take another hit ? Or do you hold ? After all, the next card *might* be a one card. Right ? Yet as you know, the *odds are*, that it's not a one card. Same logic for md'ing : You *might* find a goodie on days when mother nature's conditions lean towards "sanded in". But the "odds are", that you won't.

If someone can have the best-of-both-worlds, (unlimited detecting hours), then sure. But if he wishes to hone his time to the most-likely-slots/days, then .... he goes on the most-likely slots/days.

He is saying the same thing Tom. Basically - some of the best finds are made during inclement weather. Big winds , big surf , rain , whatever... Point is , many are sitting at home.
Not when its sunny and calm , laying on the sand weather.

He is saying the same thing Tom. Basically - some of the best finds are made during inclement weather. Big winds , big surf , rain , whatever... Point is , many are sitting at home.
Not when its sunny and calm , laying on the sand weather.

Oh, if he meant "non ideal" meaning "bad weather",then yes, I understand now. I thought he meant "non ideal" as in erosion factors not-lining up .

Ideal conditions for hunting are winds that make the water flat. These conditions are not the best for producing long hidden finds.

My guess would be going straight out from land to sea, helps blow the tide out a bit further than predicted and also helps flatten any waves a bit...

Although I think offshore winds are nice to flatten and smooth waves they are not any good unless you just want fresh drops.

Actually, the opposite is true. Surfers LOVE off-shore winds (from land to sea) because they hold up the face of the wave. On-shore winds beat waves down from behind.

I think this video describes it best...

R5

Actually, the opposite is true. Surfers LOVE off-shore winds (from land to sea) because they hold up the face of the wave. On-shore winds beat waves down from behind.

I think this video describes it best...

R5

Yeah....except we are not surfing !
We are talking metal detecting !

Back
Top Bottom