headphone question

melbajoe

Forum Supporter
I picked up a pair of older minelab excal headphones that were working but the outer sheathing was gone as it entered the headphones. I bought a new cable and spliced the wires inside the cup, epoxied everything and moved on to the other end where i wanted to hook it to my nox 800. I had previously made a set of water proof ear buds for the nox which worked well but as the wires were so thin and they really didn't seal any outside sound I went for these. Here's the issue-after soldering the wires to a 3.5mm male jack-THEY DON"T WORK!! I inserted the jack into my phone and it works?? Can't understand it-only thing that comes to mind is maybe these headphones have too much impedance for the output of the Nox. If this is the case I might have a pair of headphones for sale:laughing::laughing: Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Joe

This may not be the answer you're looking for, or want to hear, but I have had some of those 3.5 mm jacks work on some things and not on others. Very strange. They just don't make the proper connection sometimes.

proper connection is a must.

Follow the diagram...this should work, it does for me.

Attachments

• Plug for Equinox connection.jpg
    Plug for Equinox connection.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 331
Stereo, three contact. From a private person who had made them and selling on an auction site.
I now use the Minelab cable with the 1/4" connector cut off and a waterproof connector put on its place to make an adapter cable. Then I put the mating half of the waterproof connector on the headphone cable. This way I get to use the headphones on both Minelab and Garrett detectors.

Attachments

• audio cable.jpg
    audio cable.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 238
  • s-l225-1.jpg
    s-l225-1.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 218
Follow the diagram...this should work, it does for me.

Thanks WaterWalker unfortunately I was a pharmacist and not an electrical engineer:lol: The cable from the headphones has 5 wires red,blk,blue,white and yellow as well as a unshielded copper. Looking at the piezo in the headphone it doesn't look like the blue is used. seems at the end that went into the excal the red and white were together as were the black and yellow. Now there are only 2 connections on the jack so -simply put I don't know how to use your diagram. I think I can see which contact on the jack goes where (tip or other) but as far as + or - beats me. Thanks for looking. Joe Oh and I did try both wires at each contact. Update: I reexamined the end cap from original cable and it seems there are two pieces that the four wires go into. 1 appears to be a capacitor. I’m thinking now the signal was amplified before going out to the headphones. If that’s the cas these headphones are worthless 😟

Last edited:
Get a battery and find a way to connect two wires to it. You then hold one wire against the wire from the phones you think is ground - or to the shaft of the plug. Then touch the other battery wire to other phones wires or parts of the plug to hear a short pop.
The detector may also be expecting a ground to one of the rings on the plug to then disable speaker audio and enable phones audio.

success

thank you all for the input. I found the solution with a combo of all your info and a little trial and error based on it. Had to connect 1 set of wires to the center lead(tip) and the other set to both the other lead and the extended piece
or where the cable would lie. Again thanks to all . Joe

Back
Top Bottom