• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Do meters make a difference

woodbutcher

Forum Supporter
I took the compadre with 5.75 coil to a local park,set disc at foil and dug all repeatedly signals..Two hours and the trash to good find ratio was overwhelming.

Took the IDX to the same park wearing a 6 inch coil,set disc to foil and dug signals that didn’t bounce around on the meter.I was only there for an hour but the difference is definitely noticeable.

Attachments

• 81E5F7C5-B475-435D-9BF6-4CAF88394663.jpeg
    81E5F7C5-B475-435D-9BF6-4CAF88394663.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 330
  • B719BAA9-34B8-4AC7-A49B-08F8A011C521.jpg
    B719BAA9-34B8-4AC7-A49B-08F8A011C521.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 287
If you only dig non jumpy vids to avoid the trash then you can miss those masked finds as you know. It just depends on how hard you want to work or what makes you happy. That's why i use different detectors for different situations. When I use a non vid detector at a park I'm COIN SHOOTING for clad and silver, discing out everything +/- zinc. (I include zinc for a chance at class rings sometimes) There is very little trash. It's relaxing and a lot of fun to me. I don't care enough about the nickels when doing that.

Ps. If one of those pieces of trash was gold then you probably wouldn't be asking the same question!

woodbutcher said:
I took the compadre with 5.75 coil to a local park,set disc at foil and dug all repeatedly signals..Two hours and the trash to good find ratio was overwhelming.

Took the IDX to the same park wearing a 6 inch coil,set disc to foil and dug signals that didn’t bounce around on the meter.I was only there for an hour but the difference is definitely noticeable.
I don't use the Compadre, but do use two of my favorite Tesoro's and all I use on them is that 6" Concentric coil. They have the ED-120 Disc. circuitry and I never set it higher than minimum Disc. Just a caution to not rely on a name-labeled setting such as 'Foil' on most detectors because it can vary quite a bit.

I also use my modified White's IDX Pro, and l don't use any coil other than their 6½" Concentric. It allows for a broader Disc. adjustment range so I always set it either to Accept Iron, or low enough to just barely reject Iron nails. Never any higher. Again, I don't rely on a word-labeled setting such as 'Foil.'

Congratulations on your success, and the photos do show how well using a VDI (Visual Discrimination Indication) read-out can help reduce the amount of trash recovery. Of course, I don't always ignore jumpy or errant-reading signals with any make or model I use unless absolutely fatigued with the abundance of modern trash.

I also only start relying on using a visual read-out when the site is not one of the better locations where gold and silver jewelry is likely to be.

MuddyMo; said:
If you only dig non jumpy vids to avoid the trash then you can miss those masked finds as you know. It just depends on how hard you want to work or what makes you happy.
True and True. We want to hunt in a way that makes us happy, and as long as we are enjoying ourselves, that's fine.

But I also get enjoyment when I am finding the partially masked 'keepers' that are mixed in with offending trash. The trash, alone, can cause and erratic VDI read-outs, and when you blend in mixed metals you'll end up with either a 'jumpy' VDI response, or an errant one that might be stable, but have a read-out that isn't a specific coin. Such as a US 5¢ & 10¢ laying together might leave a notch segment or VDI numeric response more like a Screw Cap or ???

MuddyMo; said:
That's why i use different detectors for different situations.
Couldn't agree more! I started with one, and thn moved on to another, and then bought a brand new detector in May of '71. But by the end of '71 and going into '71 I added to my outfit to own and use 2 to 4 detectors. It's been that way ever since, and while I have owned more, my current Detector Outfit has an even dozen units (and that includes 4 duplicates) that I enjoy, and which can complement each other to provide me some great detector/coil set-ups to grab and have fun.

MuddyMo; said:
When I use a non vid detector at a park I'm COIN SHOOTING for clad and silver, discing out everything +/- zinc. (I include zinc for a chance at class rings sometimes) There is very little trash. It's relaxing and a lot of fun to me. I don't care enough about the nickels when doing that.
I don't hunt city parks all that much anymore, except to select isolated areas that are more likely to be holding older coins, especially high-conductive silver. They are more open areas and I still leave my Discrimination set low, but I do make use of the VDI display and use it to help single-out the most likely targets I m going to recover.

It's interesting how so many people looking for the same things can enjoy doing it using different preferred techniques.;)

Monte

Back
Top Bottom