beach wind direction

Ideal conditions for hunting are winds that make the water flat. These conditions are not the best for producing long hidden finds.

I agree..... somewhat. Those flattening winds can produce some real LONG SHORE DRIFTS.... currents that cause rip tides along already established troughs. That moves sand almost as well as good wave action.... especially straight into the beach. Our current sand bar growth isnt helping as to where these cuts are happening.... or not happening. Water movement he in the Gulf can be a matter of finding 1 spot...... and those old pieces of gold can now be reached by the detector. This time of the year .... i wouldnt count on a lot of recent drops.... so work slow and find the pull outs. It seem most of the time the gold in on one end or the other in those troughs.

Not mentioned, yet, is that a great time to detect the upper beach/dry sand is during very high winds (>20mph), regardless of the direction; where the sand picks-up and acts as a sand-blaster. It keeps people off the beach so you can hunt undisturbed and the wind will actually expose targets that you can see and pick-up even w/o a detector. High winds (and with rain even better) send me to the most popular beaches to MD.

Not mentioned, yet, is that a great time to detect the upper beach/dry sand is during very high winds (>20mph), regardless of the direction; where the sand picks-up and acts as a sand-blaster. It keeps people off the beach so you can hunt undisturbed and the wind will actually expose targets that you can see and pick-up even w/o a detector. High winds (and with rain even better) send me to the most popular beaches to MD.
I did mention that. In my offshore wind comment.

Yeah....except we are not surfing !
We are talking metal detecting !

Sorry for the delayed response, as I don’t visit here as often as I used to.

But really, if we want to know how/why the beach is eroding, we need to understand how the wind, swell, and direction impact the beach.

Others were saying an off-shore wind beats down waves. Science (and the video) shows this isn’t true. If you want to believe otherwise, then go ahead and put ketchup on your baked potato. I prefer sour cream. :cool3:

R5

Sorry for the delayed response, as I don’t visit here as often as I used to.

But really, if we want to know how/why the beach is eroding, we need to understand how the wind, swell, and direction impact the beach.

Others were saying an off-shore wind beats down waves. Science (and the video) shows this isn’t true. If you want to believe otherwise, then go ahead and put ketchup on your baked potato. I prefer sour cream. :cool3:

R5

Hmm....ketchup on a baked potato. Never tried that. But I do like ketchup on my fries. One giant baked tater with sup !

Can someone please tell me what is the best wind direction for detecting south Florida beaches?

All wind directions have their benefits.
The trick is to think about the beach and the wind together all year long. What the wind does to the beach. How it replaces the sand. How the wind 'builds' and influences the beach.
Learn both the wind and the beach and them together.

That can not be said in one short explanation, and is different for each beach with it's own circumstances.

Cross currents are what I look for in the forecast to help sweep away sand and light garbage.
To demonstrate my point he is a picture of one of the beaches I hunt. Before this picture there was a nice trench there and then we had 2 days of wind and waves coming straight in basically pushing the sand bar straight in. Where those people are standing was a neck deep trench 48 hours before, now it's under at least 5 feet of sand...

Attachments

• IMG-20200126-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20200126-WA0000.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 139
Its one of the special things about beach metal detecting, and every beach is different. So ya just gotta put in the hours and figure out what conditions work best for your beach. Also, some conditions could be trash for 1 beach, and great for another so try to hedge your bets on multiple beaches :D

Even after you think you've figured it all out, you can still be surprised or dissapointed in beach conditions. There's also some info related to when the tides are - high tide during the day vs the night that could make a difference.

Raider - I think your surfing info is related to ocean swell and offshore winds. Yes it makes the waves glassy when there is a system building the waves way off in the ocean. But if the gulf coast guys are just talking wind chop then offshore winds could help to knock those waves down that are coming into the beach.

Having studied intensely the pros and cons of various wind conditions, I think the info presented here is accurate and if understood correctly could significantly improve gold recovery.

Gold - 15
Silver - 19

Back
Top Bottom