Arabic coin or token?

Roger B

Forum Supporter
Can anyone ID this coin for me? I didn't find it detecting, I found it in a box from my mothers estate items that my wife was sorting through.
I'm no expert but it appears to be Arabic? It is the same size as a quarter, but not quite as thick.

Attachments

• Arabic coin.jpg
    Arabic coin.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 585
  • side 2.jpg
    side 2.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 502
simonthesearcher said:
Looks Arabic to me,i think Voriax would be able to help you on this one

Arghhh..when did I become an expeert of obscure coins!? :?: I'm gonna get an ulcer or something from this....
Seriously, right now I'd say token. It is kinda hard do id these kind of coins/tokens that have only arbic in them and no clear numbers or patters. However as right now I'm half drunk I'll refer judgement until later day ;)

Voriax

i speak arabic though,,,it says on one face ther is no lord but god and mohamed is his messanger,,it bares muslim year of 1322 now its 1423 its over hundred year old

Adam24 said:
i speak arabic though,,,it says on one face ther is no lord but god and mohamed is his messanger,,it bares muslim year of 1322 now its 1423 its over hundred year old
Thanks Adam, would you know what it was used for? If it is a token or coin? Country of origin? Sorry for all the questions, I don't know anything about it.
Thanks
Roger

okey i couldnt get the rest of words but today,,its a coin from yemen ,specefically the city of sanna which is the present capital of yemen,it used to be an independent state though or ruled by what they called there then (immam) under british protection, so it says immam yehya ibn mohammed (the last ruller for sanna before it turn into the new republic of yemen) the date 1322 AH is when he took control of the city,another date is 1361 as i barely can see is about 1944 AD which the date the coin was made,it must have a value which i couldnt read because the arabic here is very strong than what im familiar with,but i looked the coin up for you at the coins catalouge in the library under the state of yemen you will see many similar coins to yours ,,if its made of gold then it should cost over thousand dollars as the cat states,,and the coin original value will make the worth more or less, the words i told you yesterday(no lord but god and mohammed his messanger)is the islamic witness that any one beleives in islam he must confirm and say these words,i hope you keep the coin in safe place cuze im muslim though. good luck. :yes:

That was really nice of you Adam, to go out of your way to research this for him.

Thank you so much Adam. You really went out of your way for me on this and I am grateful. I had no clue as to what this coin was and now you have given me much help.
Thanks again
Roger

Back
Top Bottom