• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

AT Pro question?

HongKongPhooeyX

I started detecting back in the early 80 and have been at it since. There was about 8 years that i didnt think twice about it and skateboarding was #1 on my list. Here is my question. I have only owned the AT Pro for a bout 3 or 4 weeks. I have heard some talk of some coil problems but not sure if im Having that problem. Here is whats going on I pick my machine up and do some air testing and i have noticed that if i lightly bump the coil or lower shaft or kinda wiggle the whole machine that it will beep on me. That is with it in stranded and sensitivity is at 6. Even lowering sensitivity im still getting that. I have reset machine and checked connection everything is tight. Should this be happing?? I can take my whites QXT pro and smack it against trees and swing it like crazy and hear no of that. The person i talked to at garret said thats just how the machine is.. Is that really how the machine is?? Thanks

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

First thing to do is make 100% sure the coil connection is seated completely into the connection at the control box. Almost metal touching metal when the o ring is seated correctly. Also, ground balance it outside of the house and in clean ground. See if that helps any. It could be a defective coil but I would almost bet your connection is loose.

G2M

Every machine I've ever owned has done this, especially the more sensitive machines.

Greek is spot on with making sure the metal is pretty close to touching for a proper seat. Air tests don't really DO anything aside from show your machine reacts to metal, like it should...

Any chance you can get video up?

Garrett sent me a new coil to try i just haven't had time to do anything with it. Going to try everything i can with the stock coil to see if i can get things to stop. Then going to switch to the new coil and do the same testing if everything turns out the same then will just have to deal with it lol. It doesn't seem like I'm losing any depth but the machine is still new and i dont know what i should be getting for depth. Will have to get to work on my test garden now.

Garrett sent me a new coil to try i just haven't had time to do anything with it. Going to try everything i can with the stock coil to see if i can get things to stop. Then going to switch to the new coil and do the same testing if everything turns out the same then will just have to deal with it lol. It doesn't seem like I'm losing any depth but the machine is still new and i dont know what i should be getting for depth. Will have to get to work on my test garden now.

If you've got another coil why not take the 5 minutes involved in switching coils so you can rule that out as the source of your problem?

It's something that happens with these machines, nothing's wrong with it; just avoid hitting the coil on things and you're fine! Every machine I've owned by Garrett makes some chatter when you bump the coil.

Make sure your connections are seated properly and you are ready to rock and roll!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's something that happens with these machines, nothing's wrong with it; just avoid hitting the coil on things and you're fine! Every machine I've owned by Garrett makes some chatter when you bump the coil.

Make sure your connections are seated properly and you are ready to rock and roll!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol My At pro doesn't do that, just saying!

All my AT coils do this if I bump them. If I lean on the machine and put pressure on it it does it. I've had no problem and it doesn't seem to be a defect. All other machines I owned did the same.

All my AT coils do this if I bump them. If I lean on the machine and put pressure on it it does it. I've had no problem and it doesn't seem to be a defect. All other machines I owned did the same.

I agree with that, but it takes a pretty good bump.. Just waving it side to side like the OP mentions seems like a bad coil to me...

<°)))>{

Besides checking the connection, Is your coil wire wrapped correctly around the shaft. If it moves, the coil will pick it up. Also MD's were not made to detect in the air. Go away from Wifi, power lines etc. and ground balance in a area clear of any targets. See how it does. Also the sooner you get out of standard mode the better you will like it. I run full sens, pro mode, nothing notched out, iron at 36 and have iron audio on. This will give you three tones, low for iron, mid for gold, pull tabs, nickels and high tones for coins, silver and can slaw. Also try Ground balancing the AT Pro automatically then manually adjust the ground balance GB number 5-10 points. drop it down if you want silver, up if you want gold. It seems to gain a little more depth for that particular metal. GL Tom

Mt ATP rarely ever falses when I bump it , and I could probably do jumping jacks with it in my hand and it wouldn't make a peep. When all is as it should be they are very stable in spite of being so sensitive. EM interference is a different story however , what a pain in some locations.

Mt ATP rarely ever falses when I bump it , and I could probably do jumping jacks with it in my hand and it wouldn't make a peep. When all is as it should be they are very stable in spite of being so sensitive. EM interference is a different story however , what a pain in some locations.

All that^

<°)))>{

My AT's hate WIFI. My parents yard in one of those McSubdivisions has so much overlapping WIFI I can only use my machine in a small part of the side yard.

Back
Top Bottom