Metal detecting in France?

Desertwalker

Hello,

Me and a friend of mine is going to France this summer (to the Basse-normandie region).
We're just going to travel to different world war two areas, but as we've been metal detecting before we thought that maybe we could do that a little if it's legal..

As i have no idea how the laws are in France, maybe someone here knows? :)

Thanks in advance,
Oskar.

UKBrian would be the best person to ask that question to..hes not from there I don't think but he is pretty knowledgeable about the rules I'm sure...just click on member list at the top of the page an search his name. hope you find the answers you are looking for...that would be one fine detecting experience there!

UKBrian would be the best person to ask that question to..hes not from there I don't think but he is pretty knowledgeable about the rules I'm sure...just click on member list at the top of the page an search his name. hope you find the answers you are looking for...that would be one fine detecting experience there!

Thanks :) Oh yes, it's gonna be a really nice experience. We're from a media company here in Sweden, so we will be carrying on 2 cameras and record the whole trip.
If you here on MetalDetectingForum want the DVD for free, i might upload it for you when it's done :)

sounds good! I think all of us like videos here..especially when its about detecting:yes:

what kinda of things do you film? like daily happenings for the news and stuff?

I think you can detect in France, although there are restrictions.
It could be tricky on any know battle sites, or areas of historical interest.

I would get something arranged before you go, and not travel on the off chance.

It might be a good idea to ask the question on one of the UK detector forums ? UKDN http://www.ukdetectornet.co.uk/ for instance.

There are clubs out there that detect the WWI battle sites, but I think they are mainly in Belgium ?

Hello,

Me and a friend of mine is going to France this summer (to the Basse-normandie region).
We're just going to travel to different world war two areas, but as we've been metal detecting before we thought that maybe we could do that a little if it's legal..

As i have no idea how the laws are in France, maybe someone here knows? :)

Thanks in advance,
Oskar.
Hi Arnold here...originally from Haute Normandie Region (to the north of where you are going).
France has strict laws about md ing, however as the French say, "it is only illegal if you get caught" or "rules are made to be broken"...you choose.
It is illegal md ing in most places and you have to report to the French gvt everything you find...
You shouldn't have any problem on private land assuming you get permission from the owner first. On public land just make sure you stay away from public view. I have found some very nice things in national forests, away from the walking trails.
If you tell me where you are going exactly, I can try to do some research for you.
Good luck...I am planning a first father/son md'ing trip with my 10 year old son next summer in Southern France. Can't wait...

I have heard things about searching in France that aren't too great. For example if you get caught by the police they will take away your metal detector, you have to pay a fine and if they want to they can take your car away too. It is definitely risky to search at well known battlefields or other places that are of French historical importance. Getting seen in public in France searching can be risky. I must say though that civilians, farmers and even foresters are real friendly and as long as you close your holes they are just interested and don't mind that you are searching. That's what I know about the people in Alsace. How the people in the Basse-Normandie region react I don't know. My advice, be careful!

Follow what I said Desertwalker and you won't have any problems. Its all common sense and the rules vary little from country to country except for those with complete bans.

Rules can actually vary a lot sometimes. Rules can also vary within a country, for example Germany.

Hi Arnold here...originally from Haute Normandie Region (to the north of where you are going).
France has strict laws about md ing, however as the French say, "it is only illegal if you get caught" or "rules are made to be broken"...you choose.
It is illegal md ing in most places and you have to report to the French gvt everything you find...
You shouldn't have any problem on private land assuming you get permission from the owner first. On public land just make sure you stay away from public view. I have found some very nice things in national forests, away from the walking trails.
If you tell me where you are going exactly, I can try to do some research for you.
Good luck...I am planning a first father/son md'ing trip with my 10 year old son next summer in Southern France. Can't wait...

Thanks for the information!
Sorry, i havent been online here during the weekend to answer your posts.

However, im glad to know about the rules and i think we might stay away from MD'ing if that's what can happend.

Also, i've been trying to find different information about how to get from Paris to the Carentan the easiest way, couldnt seem to find anything in english.
Do you know any fast way or? ;D
any information about that would be helpful at the moment.

//DW

Follow what I said Desertwalker and you won't have any problems. Its all common sense and the rules vary little from country to country except for those with complete bans.

Can you share your advise with the rest of us?

Thanks for the information!
Sorry, i havent been online here during the weekend to answer your posts.

However, im glad to know about the rules and i think we might stay away from MD'ing if that's what can happend.

Also, i've been trying to find different information about how to get from Paris to the Carentan the easiest way, couldnt seem to find anything in english.
Do you know any fast way or? ;D
any information about that would be helpful at the moment.

//DW
The SNCF (french railroad) offers trains from Paris to Carentan via Caen.

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/?rfrr=PropositionHoraireAller_header_ACCUEIL

Click on the British Flag at teh bottom left of teh page, for instructions in English.

Back
Top Bottom