California reales and a phoenix button

Tom_in_CA

Elite Member
Got out yesterday to a "back-pocket site" of mine. Was able to eek out 2 more reales: Spanish 1773 one reale, and a Mexican 1848 half reale. Also got a small #10 phoenix button.

This site has now given up over 30 reales to me, and over 100 phoenix buttons. I know that ages like these are small potatoes to you east coast guys (where LC's, colonial coppers, and busts are brimming out of every sand box). But here in CA we have to WORK for dates like these :laughing:

20170830_234419.jpg

20170830_234612.jpg

20170830_234645.jpg

20170830_235859.jpg

Dude, these funds are sweet! I'm in Pittsburgh and have only gotten a 1781 reale and a couple 179? Draped bust largies and 10 or so matron heads. We don't have pre 1800 coins all over like you think. Maybe in Boston or NC they do, but not here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome finds Tom. Glad to see you are getting out in this heat. It's been in the 100's down here in LA over the past 10 days!

I'm looking forward to a trip to one of those back pocket sites at some point while I'm living here in Cali!

Greg

....I really like that shiny clad penny. :laughing:

I was WONDERING what that target was. Thanx for the ID. Circa 2015 vintage. Value: .01c. Wow. :friends:

..... We don't have pre 1800 coins all over like you think. Maybe in Boston or NC they do, but not here....

Not in your specific east-coast zone, eh ? Rats. Was hoping you'd point me in the direction of the sandboxes brimming with 1700's coins :)

Dang Tom!! :shock::wow: You always have something come out of your "Back Pocket"!! :D Congratz!

Wish there were more of them in our area Ron, and I'd invite you out to pillage some time. But look at the bright side: You've got scores of beaches within 5 min. drive of you :)

Wow Tom....super nice finds in my book.

thanx Camp68 !

Wow Tom, those are nice! Congrats on some old California silver.

Yeah: You, me, Ron & G-stout76 gotta show those East coast guys they can't have *all* the fun, eh ? :sissyfight:

Awesome finds Tom. Glad to see you are getting out in this heat. It's been in the 100's down here in LA over the past 10 days!

I'm looking forward to a trip to one of those back pocket sites at some point while I'm living here in Cali! ....

Good to hear from you Greg. The part of CA I'm at rarely gets any higher than the high 80s (the valley breezes in off the ocean). I don't know how anyone detects when it approaches 100*. Ouch ! If you find your way up to this part of CA, drop me a line. My rates are reasonable :excited:

Nice finds but I wouldnt say you have to work really hard if youve found 30 at one site. Geez

..... but I wouldnt say you have to work really hard if youve found 30 at one site. Geez

Dude, that was over ~15 yrs !

Oh, and that's just my tally. Some buddies of mine have found a couple each there, raising the # of reales found at this site to perhaps 50 or 60.

Whooooah Tom!!!!

If I dug one of those Reales the feeling would be like when I dug my first Merc.

But, as the days go by I get closer and closer to finding something more exciting than what I already have.

Awesome hunt tom, always nice to have one of those go to spots!
That Mexican 1848 half reale is a SWEET one, Guadalupe and Calvo minted coins are tough to find, and harder in condition like THAT!

No fences hopped here buster :cool:

Tom,

Are you in dig any broken signal mode at this site or just stumbling across juicy signals every trip? Just curious how the signals are presenting and any tricks you may have learned at this site. Just wondering since i hunt in super trashy 1800's sites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanx everyone for the kind words !

That Mexican 1848 half reale is a SWEET one, Guadalupe and Calvo minted coins are tough to find, and harder in condition like THAT!

Yes, I immediately noticed the extremely good condition on that. Not only for circulation/wear, but also that the ground was kind to it.

.... Are you in dig any broken signal mode at this site or just stumbling across juicy signals every trip? Just curious how the signals are presenting and any tricks you may have learned at this site. Just wondering since i hunt in super trashy 1800's sites....

Cave-city slayer, I can not get too detailed on the answers, lest it start to let out clues that someone will think they can figure out where I'm hunting. But will say that the signals are "easy". Eg.: not necessarily deep (but sure, some *could* be). No it's not super trashy here. My end count was ~40 period items (green-copper blacksmith stuff, buttons, and the 2 coins). And 65-ish modern junk. Here's a hint: The "modern junk" was all can slaw.

Oh yeah, and also 2 new pennies, 1 new dime, and a clad quarter that just about gave me a heart-attack. But normally it's rare to ever find clad here. An occasional zinc or something. For some reason got several clad on this last trip.

But as you can see, the ratio of old to new is about ~60/40 ratio. Not bad. Not too punishing. The place is getting worked out now after 15+ yrs., so it's taking longer between signals nowadays. Ironically, we still continue to get reales here at the same rate-of-return per hour of effort. Because since half-reales , when you think about it, are small coins! Thus in the earlier days we tended to dig all the 4-star loud "bong" signals (you're mind subconsciously favors quarter and half dollar signals after all!). And I recall getting up to 100 pieces of green copper per hunt at this location in the earlier days. Yet only a single coin and/or a button at each of those efforts.

So it eventually occurred to us that we'd cleaned out the easier louder signals (which tended to be large period slag) and now find ourselves grasping for the whispier smaller signals. And it's THOSE that have equal chances at being the small thin reales.

We were always in "relic mindset" (ie.: dig all) when we first discovered the site. However, when you have SO many signals to choose from, you find yourself subconsciously favoring the louder high conductor ones. But when it comes to Spanish and Mexican reales (the smaller denominations anyhow), they don't read up as high as USA dimes and copper cents and quarters do. Thus this spot continues to have potential, despite the hard-pressure it's had.

Back
Top Bottom