Secret Societies and Seated

gseuser

Elite Member
Today was an amazing day! I was joined by Zach66604 and my longtime friend and current college roommate Paul. We went curbstripping in the town where we attend school and oh boy did we find the mother of all streets to hit! Im only posting me and Pauls finds ill let Zach post when he's good and ready.

For Paul finds included his first ever seated and a darn good one to boot! 1853 w/arrows at about an inch deep. As well a Bun Hur Palmolive token and a 1929D wheat. His dime seems to be counterstamped as well!!

As for me I found a badge from the Knights of Pythias, a secret society formed in 1864 in Washington DC. This badge dates from around the 1870's and Ill show what it looks like in its complete configuration. Several famous Americans like FDR, Louis Armstrong, William McKinley, William Jennings Bryan, and Nelson Rockefeller were all members. I also scored 3 IHPs dated 1906, 1905, and 1893. It was an overall really good day and its time to hammer curbstrips!!

Attachments

• all finds today.JPG
    all finds today.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 612
  • my finds today.JPG
    my finds today.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 579
  • pauls seated front.JPG
    pauls seated front.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 616
  • pauls back dime.JPG
    pauls back dime.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 578
  • il_570xN.921312338_kksc.jpg
    il_570xN.921312338_kksc.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 572
Nice finds! I especially like the fraternal society artifact. They were big back in the late 1800's, that was their social "thing" and entertainment, as they didn't have radio and TV back then. The fraternal societies started dying out after WWI, as society became more mobile with the automobile, and folks could travel farther and started going to movies, etc. for entertainment. Too bad, really, as the fraternal societies emphasized character building and good behavior, something lacking greatly in our society today. Some societies still survive, but they are shadows of what used to be.

OH MAN ! What a hunt. Congrats. That badge is awesome. I would go back there as soon as I could. Good luck. HH Mark

Sweet counterstamped seated. Thats the first one Ive seen posted before or since I found one early last year

Now that's a complete and successful hunt. Little bit of everything and the badge and seated are fantastic. Love those arrows on the dime.

Back
Top Bottom