Flutters , blips and half beeps

seadog2

When you get a broken signal , for instance a flutter or  weak beep in one direction but not the other , do you normally dig it ? Sometimes I dig these and after digging and not finding anything , the signal mysteriously dissapears

Usually that happens because of your discrimination and no I don't dig them. Its usually a tiny piece of iron.

Quite a lot of times I find the signal dissapearing after I dig a little it means that I shifted the object around in the hole. I switch to all-metal mode and "bam" there it is. I have found several IHs and other goodies on these signals.
Sometimes a good signal is hiding on us. Musketballs are notorious (to me) for this. In a trashy area sometimes the only signal I will get is the smallest bleep identifying a good hit. My Minelab does well in these areas (full band spectrum). But you still have to listen for those twings ,twangs, and bleeps. I have containers full of iffy signals.

The best story of blips I can think of if following behind my buddy (sorry Dave) and picking up on a blip that he ignored and finding an IH on it's side and a musketball under it!!!!!!!

my 2 cents
Jeff

It depends on my hunting mode and the location.

If I'm short on time I need to make my hunting count. That is why I bought the DFX. As I make custom adjustments to an area I can save them for the next time and improve my odds. You've got to learn to TRUST what your detector is saying. Of course first you've got to learn it's language.

If I get a beep in only one direction AND the depth shows deeper than 7" I'll dig it. A broken signal can indicate a piece of iron(being rejected) or a gold necklace.

Don't forget to check if your detector I.D.'s better on one direction of the coil sweep. Many don't but my old Fisher CZ6a did.

Sometimes I get a strong beep in one direction and a weak or no signal in the other. I do not have I.D. so usually the amount of time or daylight I have available dictates whether or not I dig it.

The majority of machines are designed to give a nice smooth response when swept either way over good targets. Seems like yours might be one of the exceptions so it would be well worth making a mental note of which is the reliable/correct sweep direction if its fairly consistant. Could save a lot of digging over the years.

often I will get a strong signal in one direction and not the other, however , if I change positions from a horizontal sweep to a vertical sweep i sometimes get strong signals both ways

Back
Top Bottom