Technique to estimate depth?

ne_seeker

I'm new to this hobby and have been enjoying learning to use my Prizm II.

I am just wondering whether the depth of a located coin may be estimated by progressively raising your coil sweep height until the signal is lost?

Any opinions or experiences are appreciated!

The depth will be from the bottom of your coil to the target. If its 2" under the coil bottom the detector should say approxiamately 2". If you lift the coil another 2" it should now say 4". So , you will not be able to tell how deep a target is better by lifting the coil up. The meter should already tell you this information when sweeping at ground level. :yes:

I'll drop the coil every now and then if it's a trashy area, just to be sure i'm digging the right target. All in all, dropping the coil works for me, it may not be perfect form, but I recover pretty accurately.

HH as always,

Bri-

ne_seeker said:
I'm new to this hobby and have been enjoying learning to use my Prizm II.

I am just wondering whether the depth of a located coin may be estimated by progressively raising your coil sweep height until the signal is lost?

Any opinions or experiences are appreciated!

No, but the technique you describe is an excellent way to deduce wether the target is indeed coin sized, or a much larger and deeper target.

i had a prizm11 for a year and traded it for an upgrade to a classic pro idx i should have kept it for a back it was very good machine for the money and i wouldnt considerate it a toy either good luck bowser

Firewhiz said:
I'll drop the coil every now and then if it's a trashy area, just to be sure i'm digging the right target.  All in all, dropping the coil works for me, it may not be perfect form, but I recover pretty accurately. 

HH as always,

Bri-

What does that mean ...dropping the coil?

THANK you

I asked the samething last week. Raising the coil works. If it's a larger target you'll hold the signal longer. If it's a small target, you will loose the signal as soon as you lift it up.

Back
Top Bottom