can you make a living metal detecting?

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
Yes, if you can do what professional beach hunters do. There is no other form of metal detecting where the supply of good targets is getting replenished daily. The only other areas that I may include is serious civil war relic hunting. But those finds are getting fewer and fewer as time passes and not being replenished.

I have written two small booklets on hunting Florida beach hunting. One was on the 1715 Spanish fleet Treasure coast beach and the other was a more general book on where to hunt on the Florida beaches. Hunting the treasure coast beaches is a long, long shot. When writing the book I interviewed via email about a dozen professional beach hunters who earn between $10,000 to $20,000 per month metal detecting beaches.

Here are the characteristics of those beach hunters.

1. they have several very good PI machines. (always have a backup)
2. they know how to read beaches.
3. they hunt mostly in wet sand & surf unless they find a good cut.
4. they hunt on the average 6 hours a day.
5. they hunt in front of the most expensive hotels and condo.
6. they follow the beach seasons (eg the most visitors).
7. they never video tape themselves.
9. they travel to the Caribbean Islands in the height of wealthy tourist season.
10. not a single one is on the forums sharing pictures or advice.
11. they sell their expensive sunglasses finds to beach stores who sell them as new items often making $300 to $500 a week.
12. most of the money comes from rings with diamonds.
13. they don't offer free recovery services or any recovery services. a waste of time, and time is $$$ for them.
14. they know other pro's by first name.
15. they don't hunt shipwreck beaches for the Spanish treasures.
16. then know exactly where in the dry sand to hunt when they hunt dry sand which is not often.
17. they are not hobbyist, this is their full time job.
18. they always wear earphones
19. they don't talk to other beach goers - it wastes their hunting time.
20. they only talked to me on the condition, no photos, videos and I agreed not to identify them in any manner.
21. they hunt on a lot of private expensive beach property in other countries through an arrangement with the hotel/condo owners eg a % of their finds.
22. They determine quickly if a beach is producing or not, and if it is not producing, eg being sanded in, they go to another of their beaches.
23. they have a list of productive beach areas they hit on a regular basis.
24. their age range was between 30 - 50. no real young or real old guys, no women (based on the dozen or so I spoke to.
25. they are nomadic and don't say in expensive hotel, but the budget motels not on the beach front.
26. they know their diamonds worth and how to negotiate with their buyers.
27. less expensive rings are sold on ebay, those say above $6,000 are sold to other sources (which they would not even reveal to me).

My conclusion is that the average vacationing metal detectorists may get lucky, but never produce at this level for the obvious reasons. But you can make a good living at metal detecting but only being willing to do what the pros do as described above.

Do not give up your day job. If you are inclined to try this, save up your vacation time, do your beach research on finding the most expensive hotels and condos in FL or CA (all year beaches) and try to match those characteristics. Learn to read beaches. Do not take your family or girlfriend or dog. You would not take them to work, so don't take them on this 2-3 week trial.

When you get back if your finds amount to 1.5 times your salary then you may consider doing this full time. Remember the money is basically tax free.

John

Last edited:
Going to copy my posts from other threads and add to them.

IMO no you can't make a living off it. You only hear the stories of success on here. Not the amount of time and money people invest into their hunts. And I'm from FL born in Miami and live within a little over a hour between Tampa and Daytonta. I'm in the middle.

I metal detect just for fun really. Since I have been metal detecting I never been in a profit. Usually costs money. It's like fishing but a little higher return.

I see a couple regulars on here always posting their high end finds saying they payed off their metal detector etc. Really to me that is a false sense of hope for the newcomers. It's not a reality check and it's not the average.

They don't post when they went on a 50 mile trip and found a $1.00 in clad. You see when they find multiple gold and think it's a profitable hobby. Many of those people are probably retired on pensions, 401k, disability, social security or whatever income that they sink into metal detecting.

10% is probably the amount of people in this hobby that will ever come into profits. 90% the majority will be at negatives digging trash and investing resources to continue hunting. 90% of the time you're going to spend more in gas money then you will dig in clad.

The reality is most people joining this site and purchasing a new metal detector 90% of them will never even recoup that initial cost of the detector. And the ones that do don't tell you about all the bad trips that surpassed their finds.

So yeah eventually you pay it off after you spent thousands in gas 1,000s of miles of wear and tear on a vehicle then they post it's paid off. You only see the successful hunts.. Not the ones that are bad.

Then this community wonders why the turn over rate is so high. Stop making people think they are going to go out and hit it rich with gold. Tell them the truth. I am a example of the truth and the majority. Not the 10% who profit.

There are some 3rd world countries, where the hobby is virtually unknown. Yet ... culturally ... they wear a lot of gold. And the cost of living is very cheap. It might be possible to make a living off some of those beaches. Or ... at least finance a vacation's cost.

However, some of these fabled spots, where early arrivers found themselves awash in targets, locals are starting to adopt the hobby. Whereas 10 yrs. ago, an American tourist, with a detector, might never have seen another detector (and had hundreds of signals to choose from), yet now ..... some locals seem to be wising up .

But there might still be places where such "virgin spots" still exist, if someone were creative in their travel plans.

I'm not sure I would ever want to try to make a living at it. Making a living at something you love doing there is always a risk you will eventually look at it just like any job you grow to dislike. Many years ago my friends asked me why I did not work on cars for a living because I was quite good at it. Years later I needed a different job and took a mechanic job. 30 years later I no longer tinker with cars as a hobby, it is just something I do for money and it just isn't the fun it used to be.

I'm not sure I would ever want to try to make a living at it. Making a living at something you love doing there is always a risk you will eventually look at it just like any job you grow to dislike. ....

Excellent point ! Example: When the nugget hunting craze first took off, in the sierra foothills , in the early 1980s, I knew a group of 4 or 5 hunters from Sacramento area. Every weekend they were having fun shooting for nuggets with newfound detector technology. And .... financially speaking, the value of what they were finding, was almost equivalent to what they were earning at their M to F jobs.

One of this group of hunters, found himself between jobs. And reasoned "Gee, I can just detect and make as much as I could being a working stiff". But after a few weeks, it was no more fun. Because instead of just peer-competition, and fun, it became a job. No longer was each good nugget "fun", it was now a "quota". That he would have no choice to find, lest he not have his household budget.

That was an example of what you're saying. The moment it becomes a "quota", is the moment it takes the fun out of it.

you are right about that

hobbies are what you do when you are not working. I used to write technical book reviews for fun. Then it turned into a profitable full time business for me with employees.

Guess what, I metal detect to get away from my book review business which is work and no longer fun. The only difference between an 8-5 job at an office and my business is I work from home and that has some major pluses. Eg the ability to take off in the morning and hunt some of my favorite sites.

IMO no you can't make a living off it. You only hear the stories of success on here. Not the amount of time and money people invest into their hunts. And I'm from FL born in Miami and live within a little over a hour between Tampa and Daytonta. I'm in the middle.

I metal detect just for fun really. Since I have been metal detecting I never been in a profit. Usually costs money. It's like fishing but a little higher return.

I see a couple regulars on here always posting their high end finds saying they payed off their metal detector etc. Really to me that is a false sense of hope for the newcomers. It's not a reality check and it's not the average.

They don't post when they went on a 50 mile trip and found a $1.00 in clad. You see when they find multiple gold and think it's a profitable hobby. Many of those people are probably retired on pensions, 401k, disability, social security or whatever income that they sink into metal detecting.

10% is probably the amount of people in this hobby that will ever come into profits. 90% the majority will be at negatives digging trash and investing resources to continue hunting. 90% of the time you're going to spend more in gas money then you will dig in clad.

The reality is most people joining this site and purchasing a new metal detector 90% of them will never even recoup that initial cost of the detector. And the ones that do don't tell you about all the bad trips that surpassed their finds.

So yeah eventually you pay it off after you spent thousands in gas 1,000s of miles of wear and tear on a vehicle then they post it's paid off. You only see the successful hunts.. Not the ones that are bad.

Then this community wonders why the turn over rate is so high. Stop making people think they are going to go out and hit it rich with gold. Tell them the truth. I am a example of the truth and the majority. Not the 10% who profit.

your are right but it is not 10%, it is more like less than 1% who earn a living off metal detecting which means a good income after all expenses.

It’s a hobby for me; i look forward to going out. I don’t look forward to going to my job. Those that are supposedly making $10-20K per month are right in that they just go out and do it, don’t video it, don’t tell others about it, and spend a lot of time hunting every day. I already have a job, I just want to enjoy my hobby.:yes:

These are my experiences to a T,and while it’s “showmanship” or “exciting” to lay out the best finds,it’s certainly very far from the norm. It’s nice to see that great finds are still out there,and even be able to find some of them,but it ain’t anywhere near an everyday thing. Very well stated post Needler,IMHO.

Over the past two years I've been living off the clad I find metal detecting. I'm still in school right now (graduated two weeks ago), so money isn't a real issue for me right now. Food, water, bills etc get paid by my parents so I'm pretty well off. If I want to buy 'extra' or other things, (like new gadgets, upgrade my detecting rig etc), I have paid for them with my metal detecting finds. (or I've asked my parents really nicely ;))

Of course, the $1500 or so I find each year will get me no where later in life. After my final exams (so in 1.5 months), I'm going to start job-hunting. I'll still go metal detecting, hopefully just as regularly, but I won't be living off what I find anymore.

But I think it'd be quite hard to make a *proper* living off metal detecting, unless if you're big on social media or you sell books and merchandise, then it may be a bit easier. But if you're only relying on your finds, then it'd be quite hard, and exhausting I would think. You'd have to be pretty consistent with your finds.

Over the past two years I've been living off the clad I find metal detecting. I'm still in school right now (graduated two weeks ago), so money isn't a real issue for me right now. Food, water, bills etc get paid by my parents so I'm pretty well off. If I want to buy 'extra' or other things, (like new gadgets, upgrade my detecting rig etc), I have paid for them with my metal detecting finds. (or I've asked my parents really nicely ;))

Of course, the $1500 or so I find each year will get me no where later in life. After my final exams (so in 1.5 months), I'm going to start job-hunting. I'll still go metal detecting, hopefully just as regularly, but I won't be living off what I find anymore.

But I think it'd be quite hard to make a *proper* living off metal detecting, unless if you're big on social media or you sell books and merchandise, then it may be a bit easier. But if you're only relying on your finds, then it'd be quite hard, and exhausting I would think. You'd have to be pretty consistent with your finds.

Having 2$ coins to find helps a lot...:grin: At 2& a crack,I’d be a straight clad hunter! Best thing we can expect to find in the states on a regular basis is a quarter,so we dig 8 of those to your 1 coin for an even match. Kinda lopsided if you ask me!
Good luck in your schooling and job search Groper,that by far is obviously the main thing here. Do what you are proud to do and like to do. If you’re lucky enough to find that,as they say...you’ll really never work a day in your life.
If all that falls through,there’s always metal detecting!:grin:

First, I call absolute BS on anybody finding $10K - $20K PER MONTH from metal detecting. Maybe get lucky and do that rarely but it would be far from the norm.

The only people who "make a living" at detecting are people who are retired and already have an income and detecting is just extra.

Second, it would be a horrible job to have. Think about it, you have to get up before dawn or in the middle of the night to chase the tides. You always have to wear wetsuits or rash-guards, sunscreen, lotion and bugspray would be applied like constantly. Spend 8, 10, 12 hours a day constantly walking, swinging, digging... If you have any age on you, that constant activity would likely break you.

Living next to the beach would certainly allow you plenty of time to do it a part-time hobby but to do it like a full time job??? How are you going to earn a living with weeks or months of sanded in beaches and no finds? How are you going to pay your bills when the county pumps in sand? How do you justify paying gas costs driving up and down the coast hoping for anywhere that has good conditions today? Parking costs for hunting those non-local beaches and loss of hunting time in search of a beach can really eat into what "profits" you might make.

Then, after all that.... how much have you REALLY found? Is that supposed $10k in finds the retail cost? The reality of what you can get for selling jewelry is maybe 1/3 to half if youre lucky, otherwise you are selling it to refineries for scrap value. Now that $10K really gets you a $500 in melt and maybe another $100 for loose stones. What your hourly wage for that?

There are some 3rd world countries, where the hobby is virtually unknown. Yet ... culturally ... they wear a lot of gold. And the cost of living is very cheap. It might be possible to make a living off some of those beaches. Or ... at least finance a vacation's cost.

However, some of these fabled spots, where early arrivers found themselves awash in targets, locals are starting to adopt the hobby. Whereas 10 yrs. ago, an American tourist, with a detector, might never have seen another detector (and had hundreds of signals to choose from), yet now ..... some locals seem to be wising up .

But there might still be places where such "virgin spots" still exist, if someone were creative in their travel plans.
Very true Tom.. I know the places I've been hitting over the last several years are now covered in metal detectors. Such to the point where the hobby is ruined.

Very true Tom.. I know the places I've been hitting over the last several years are now covered in metal detectors. Such to the point where the hobby is ruined.

Where is the final frontier then ?

I think there are lots of tourist beaches in Black Sea, Caspian Sea, and Bay of Bengal beach-fronts country areas. Might be possible to find some final frontiers there, where detectors are ... as-yet .... unknown.

Where is the final frontier then ?

I think there are lots of tourist beaches in Black Sea, Caspian Sea, and Bay of Bengal beach-fronts country areas. Might be possible to find some final frontiers there, where detectors are ... as-yet .... unknown.

Nope, I've seen posters from Black Sea, so thats out. I dont think there is any place that is both popular with gold wearing visitors and unknown to detectorists.

If you are a great self promoter and wind up getting book or TV deal.

…..does that sound like what Mud-puppy could do ? - :lol: (see link below)

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=2914380&postcount=4

…..as far as him getting paid for TV appearances - :lol:

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=2938522&postcount=386

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=2930056&postcount=255

Also, If your daily hunts went like this it might work - :lol:

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=2917572&postcount=74

You can be in a great area with all the best beaches , be fortunate and do pretty well now and then with the value of your finds , but you will never be able to make what most would consider " a living " from metal detecting alone. With a lot of effort and luck , you may be able to supplement your income but the odds are so against making a living at it that it may as well be impossible. But that's if we are talking about just the value of the finds. You could possibly make a living detecting if that included sponsorships , videos , advertising , etc. But that takes a certain kind of person with the right connections and personality.

You " could " possibly find those .....find of a lifetime , amazing goodies worth $30,000. + once a year or so and make the claim that you could have lived on that alone , but odds are that you wont. A person may as well just play the lottery.

I have heard stories about people making a living from detecting. But I have heard stories about bigfoot too :lol:

Believe nothing you hear.....and only about half of what you see....

Most of my old spots are now covered in local guys in their 20s and 30s trying to detect for a living. Cost of living is cheaper in Asia but if 1 person cant make a living doing it I dont know how they think 10 people can

Back
Top Bottom