• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

"Sweet" little Plat by accident

TK-421

So ya gotta understand that me and my TK4 are in many ways just playing at what most of you guys are doing with actual skill. From the the home-made hand scoop, to all my gear which is cobbled together from 100yen store (think dollar store) junk, I'm operating at a pretty low level and trying to make up the difference with sheer determination and good hunting grounds with almost no competition.

Never is this more clear than when I find a cute little Pt900 ring-- by accident!

I was digging a pull-tab signal (and it was a pull-tab-- you'd better believe I got that sucker) right at the water line. Just because it's habit, I ran the coil over the pile of sand I dug up to find the pull tab. Was really surprised to find a high-tone beeping over there. Sift through the sand and there's a too-shiny ring that's slightly too heavy for it's size. No way!

I've heard that "signal masking" can be a problem, but I've never seen evidence of it first-hand. Of course I'll never know if the TK4 would have 'seen' the plat at all if the pull-tab hadn't called out to it (it sure does love those pull-tabs). In any case-- thank you mister pull-tab!

The ring is small (haven't weighed yet, but it can't be more that 3 or 4 grams at the most) and it's the first plat I've found that actually fits me! It does have a nice feel to it... Ha! Who am I kidding-- I'll totally sell it as soon as I get good at that!

So for a 3-hour hunt on a new-to-me beach I made out pretty well. And I'm happy to report that the TK4 did find the tiny silver ear-cuff without any pull-tab assistance. Sang it out so loud I was convinced it was a 10yen coin (which is my machine's favorite thing).

Attachments

• The Keepers.jpg
    The Keepers.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 313
  • Sweet on you.jpg
    Sweet on you.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 314
  • Markings.jpg
    Markings.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 316
  • Fits!.jpg
    Fits!.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 319
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 6.24.35 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 6.24.35 PM.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 319
Three Cheers For TK! Outstanding find! You are doing everything absolutely right! On the beach, dig it all! Congratulations on the first of Many!

:dingding: AND IT FITS!!! :lol: The clad totals with such few coins amazes me. If our clad had that kind of value I would probably strictly go after that and forget everything else.

Sooo... that's a lot of beaver-tail pulltabs. Do they still use those in Japan? They're lighter targets, but usually an indication that sand has been disturbed in an older area.

R5

Thanks guys! :D

:dingding: AND IT FITS!!! :lol: The clad totals with such few coins amazes me. If our clad had that kind of value I would probably strictly go after that and forget everything else.

It's true-- I can be a couple hours into a hunt and all but skunked and it just takes a couple coins to turn it around (doesn't always happen-- I have found a few terrible beaches).

But what's more, in just a couple months of hunting my TK4 has paid for itself in actual, spendable coinage (not just precious metals that will hopefully be turned into money soon). I think the land of pennies would drive me nuts.

Sooo... that's a lot of beaver-tail pulltabs. Do they still use those in Japan? They're lighter targets, but usually an indication that sand has been disturbed in an older area.

R5

That... is a very good question. :?: The only things I drink from cans are coffee and tea (yes, that's normal here) and those have the same type of pull-tab that was common to soda cans when I lived in the states (not beaver-tail). I don't really eat canned foods, so I'm not sure about those. But really, I can't remember seeing them in use that often...

It never occurred to me how old those might be. Come to think of it, I only ever found one modern one that was still shiny.

I'd say in general I find more beaver-tail types than not. I always snap a quick picture my trash finds before putting them in the bin, and looking back through them-- mostly beaver-tails.

In fact I find an infuriating number of just-the-broken-off-tails. My detector LOVES them. Ugh. So frustrating. And they always slide away from my scoop underwater. I'll dig a foot-deep hole into the water and finally pull out that tiny broken-off curly triangle of tin (or aluminum, or whatnot-- not like my TK4 can tell me) and shake my sandy, dripping fist at the sky cursing the inventor of such an evil device. :mad:

Your pull tab picture shows it all, you worked for that little but sweet weighting more then most of the gold I find "Plat"!! Nice!

Congrats on the platinum ring and the other finds!

Those are a lot pull-tabs, I bring all mine to the scrap yard to get a few extra bucks. If you've already put the effort into digging them up, so why not get a reward for that :lol: (For you, that ring was the reward :))

Congratulations on the plat it has alluded me so far glad to see i am not the only on filling 5 gallon pails with pull tabs

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Your finds with that machine amaze me. I am GLAD you are here posting and making a believer out of some of us.

It doesn't matter what machine you have or what you find. What matters is getting out and having fun while hoping for something wonderful. You are winning in all the ways that count.

I congratulate you on being persistent and having a good time while bringing in some fine treasures.

Thanks so much for sharing your adventures.

Your finds with that machine amaze me. I am GLAD you are here posting and making a believer out of some of us.

Before I became sort of an exclusive beach pirate, I used to kill it on the playgrounds and tot lots with a Bounty Hunter as well. Had tons of fun with that machine and it paid for itself in clad alone in 8 months. I used to love the naysayers on the Bounty Hunters.

Before I became sort of an exclusive beach pirate, I used to kill it on the playgrounds and tot lots with a Bounty Hunter as well. Had tons of fun with that machine and it paid for itself in clad alone in 8 months. I used to love the naysayers on the Bounty Hunters.

Felix, she has taken it a step further than playgrounds and tot lots. She is on salt water beaches with the critter. I am sure it is a single frequency machine also. Impressive to say the least!

Okinawa Japan + accidental plat = location, location, location. I would NOT be surprised when you start pulling out 1-2 of these per week:yes: If you got in the water with an Excal I'd say it was guaranteed!

I'd say you're a pro in my opinion. Only those well versed in MD'ing check the hole after pulling out a target. Doing that is the way to find the masked items like your ring!

Aquaman is right... location location location + your skills should equal more in the near future. Congrats on a nice find

Great job congrats! :cool:
I had a pull tab masking a Gold ring twice already this season. When you find a good deep cut in my Great Lakes beaches there is 100 years worth of junk in there along with coins and rings.
You have to listen past what you initially hear, beachhopper. . aawise.jpg

great find indeed !!! my heart always races a bit when a ring comes out of the sand.... and those beaver tails... i see them as a good sign. where i am they are old... and if im pulling up old tails..im detecting where others have missed and there just might be something old down there that the sand has been hiding :)

good digs !!!

Back
Top Bottom