Garrett ProPointer freaking out and acting erratically? Try this.

BentRod

Elite Member
I've been using a Garrett ProPointer for the last two years. In that time I've read countless accounts of people who've had both good and bad experiences with their GPPs. In fact, if you do a search on this forum you'll find threads dedicated to both satisfied and dissatisfied GPP customers. Although Garrett apparently has amazing customer service, the idea that a relatively expensive tool such as the GPP can have so many failings turns some people off.
I'm one of the fortunate people who's had zero issues with my GPP and find it nearly an essential part of my detecting gear to the point I don't like to hunt without it.
As luck would have it, just last weekend my GPP started to act erratically while on a hunt. I'd turn it on and place the tip in the hole at which point it'd start to go off and continue to beep like mad until I turned it off. Turning it on and off would sometimes correct the issue and sometimes not. I changed the battery thinking that was the problem, but that didn't correct the issue. It was so aggravating I found I couldn't trust the GPP on any target. I thought for sure I'd be sending it back to Garrett (fortunately it's still under warranty). First though I did some internet searching to determine what others have experienced. Although it's not always the issue, I did find multiple references to people experiencing the same problem I was having and a couple people suggested placing a nickel under the battery cap as there is a foam pad there that's purpose is to apply pressure to the back of the 9v battery which snugs the battery connection at the terminals. The idea being that that foam will compress over time causing a loose battery connection. I figured it was worth a shot. I didn't want to place a nickel in there, so cut a wafer off the end of a synthetic wine cork instead. I tested it in the garage and finally had a chance to get it out on a hunt today. The GPP worked flawlessly. Although it was only one hunt, I do believe that the "nickel" trick took care of the problem. It's saved me the time and expense of having to send my otherwise reliable GPP back to Garrett.
I know it's a long post, but I wanted to be specific about the behavior associated with the cause. Hope it helps some who might be having similar problems. :hat3: Happy Hunting!

I've had zero problems too, and mine is a few years old.

This can also be a problem, a couple of freinds of mine hunt in damp conditions, and theirs will act up go crazy, what they have found is to remove battery cover, and they even remove the switch rubber, and dry it completely over a forced air vent or other, and it is fine again ..for awhile..then they repeat.

some one also posted that the rubber button cover wears on the inside where it hits the switch button giving you problems turning it off and on.

There has been too many problems with my ProPointers. I had three go bad on me during a couple seasons. Garrett replaced them all and I sold them off as I got them back. I demand that my equipment works in the field. I pay good money for it and I expect it to perform. In my opinion the Garrett Propointer is a lemon and has easily been dethroned by the new White's TRX.

There has been too many problems with my ProPointers. I had three go bad on me during a couple seasons. Garrett replaced them all and I sold them off as I got them back. I demand that my equipment works in the field. I pay good money for it and I expect it to perform. In my opinion the Garrett Propointer is a lemon and has easily been dethroned by the new White's TRX.

Dethroned has yet to be seen . I dought that everyone will fall to the Shadow of the whites though it may be a very good pinpointer months of field use will determine if its worth it salt

Dethroned has yet to be seen . I dought that everyone will fall to the Shadow of the whites though it may be a very good pinpointer months of field use will determine if its worth it salt

This thread is not intended to be a GPP bashing thread or "Get a ______ instead" thread. The intention is to identify possible solutions for those who might be experiencing similar GPP problems and are looking for a possible solution short of sending it back to Garrett.

There are plenty of threads dedicated to individuals feelings and frustrations with the GPP. Unless you have a suggested remedy short of getting rid of the GPP altogether, please post it on one of those other threads not here. :good:

I've had zero problems too, and mine is a few years old.

This can also be a problem, a couple of freinds of mine hunt in damp conditions, and theirs will act up go crazy, what they have found is to remove battery cover, and they even remove the switch rubber, and dry it completely over a forced air vent or other, and it is fine again ..for awhile..then they repeat.

some one also posted that the rubber button cover wears on the inside where it hits the switch button giving you problems turning it off and on.

Good additional information. I routinely check the rubber button on my GPP for damage. So far so good, but imagine it's just a matter of time before I wear a hole in it. An occasional cleaning of the dirt and grit that gets stuck around the edge is good preventative maintenance. I use a wooden toothpick and carefully clean it. Have yet to pop the button out, but might be a good idea.
Thanks for the input. :thumbsup:

I'm not bashing the Propointer. It is a nice tool when it works. Unfortunately you are in the field when you find out it doesn't. And in the field I'm fresh out of wine corks. I guess I could stick a coin in there I just found. Or I could throw it against a tree and stop sucking up to a company that makes junk.

I'm not bashing the Propointer. It is a nice tool when it works. Unfortunately you are in the field when you find out it doesn't. And in the field I'm fresh out of wine corks. I guess I could stick a coin in there I just found. Or I could throw it against a tree and stop sucking up to a company that makes junk.

I don't have any issues with mine.

My GPP started acting the same was last season so at the recommendation of a more experienced User I folded up some paper and put it in the cap and my results were the same as yours, worked just fine again!

So as this thread or advice posted in it has helped at least one person, I'll say that not all batteries are not of "exact" dimensions. I always use good ones, and probably worth it

So before sending one back check three things.

1) GOOD BATTERY and a GOOD CONNECTION, (like the OPs suggestion) if it's acting up remove cover press on the battery with your thumb and if that fixes it, it is not the PP.

2) KEEP IT CLEAN. Often soils have enough mineral in them that if left on the PP it will continue to beep...CLEAN IT OFF. The guys I mentioned above I noticed yesterday that their PPs were pretty much covered in salt water muck. These minerals can make them sound off, I know from experience this is true, not just hear-say.

3) KEEP IT DRY. Garrett PP is water resistant, they make no claim it is water proof, if it eventually gets damp inside it will act up...DRY IT OUT. I know of another fellow who is a long time garrett user, also bashes the PP, but admitted to me that he forgot it was attached to his detector when he went water hunting. Says he'll never have another even though it is totally his fault. And is now one of the ones who says "junk".
I've hunted in heavy rain before without incident, but do understand I am pushing it, should have at least a rubber band over the speaker hole, like a lobster band, or piece of a ten speed inner tube ?

Yes you seem to hear of quite a few complaints, but I'd bet these three things will fix a good many of those.

Also keep in mind bad news travels like wild fire. And that there are a ton of these things around more than any other, and maybe as many as all others combined.

A little long, but if it saves someone shipping costs, and a negative experience...worth it.

That is a great post Bentrod ! i've had mine for about a year and a half, no problems till the last hunt of 2013 and my only hunt this year. in will give that a try.

BentRod,Great tip you got there,thanks.

Thanks, I'll try this! Mine is starting to do the exact same thing...:gottaluv:

That is a great post Bentrod ! i've had mine for about a year and a half, no problems till the last hunt of 2013 and my only hunt this year. in will give that a try.

Hopefully it'll help. I'm sure it's not going to fix the problem for everyone, but maybe it'll help a few people out. Good luck!

Ever notice that not all 9volts are created equal and arent the same size? some are off by several mm from what Ive seen.

Mine hasen'nt gone crazy yet but did have a rattling sound when it would go off, found out it was the batt, i was sitting on the toilet when i figuered it out and put a piece of toilet paper on the cap and that was it.

I've had my Propointer for about two years without a problem. Of course I don't use it to dig with. But then I never had a problem with the cheap Harbor Freight one that I had before either.

Back
Top Bottom