California site. Relics galore...

Tom_in_CA

Elite Member
My hunting partner Brian "cal_cobra" and I have been doing research @ a "certain site on the west coast". We've been able to hit it 2x so far. The first trek netted me an 1849 French silver coin. And each of us had all sorts of cool age indicators. Eg.: green copper spikes, suspender clips, pistol balls, lantern parts, etc.... We couldn't wait to get back . :eat:

We finally got back for another go-round this last Saturday. We're trying some new angles on this site. It was a community of people in the early to mid 1800's. So I guess you could call it a "ghost town" of sorts.

We got into a particular camp or cellar hole spot, which turned up some juicy age indicators on this trek : Gold rush eagle tongue buckles, a gold rush era token (issued by a merchant in San Francisco), powder flasks, toe taps, buttons, hardware and household items from the mid 1800's, and lots of cool "whatzits" . While we never belittle cool relics, yet we were salivating for a super early coin or gold coin. But alas, the token was the only thing in the "coin category" this time.

Here's the pix. I'm sort of keeping pix (as per location within site) separated into various albums. So the pix might seem a bit random.

Here's a group shot of my portion of the finds, from an edge of the site :
Notice 2 male buckles (on flimsy and one heavy cast). And 3 females (flimsy).

file.php

Here's a closeup of the buckles :

file.php

file.php

Some "whatzits" . Please chime in with any ideas :

file.php

The powder flask to the left was split into the 2 sides, then someone folded them over, and crimped them. Found both in the same hole. At first I thought it was random copper scrap. But then figured out it was a powder flask. I'll try to straighten out later :)

The flask parts of the right were found scattered about.

file.php

At first I thought this was a religious medallion. But after cleaning it up and studying under magnification: It appears to be some sort of Masonic medallion. Any ID's on this ?

Notice the hand, which points to a seeing eye. To the right of that, is the 3 chain links. To the left of that, is two crossed shepherd's staffs (?). And at the top, above the hand, is what appears to be a lamb in a sitting position.

file.php

file.php

Here's some misc. age indicators :

file.php

A two-piece Eagle "A" button was a nice surprise. The lettering of the reverse indicates that it's 1850s (slightly before CW era). Right ?

file.php

And, of course, the obligatory copper junk. Blacksmith slag, kettle parts, etc... But they all "keep you on the edge of your seat " :)

file.php

And the obligatory "camp lead" and zinc-tin-like roofing material junk.

file.php

Then I progressed to another part of our site. It is still teaming with signals. So we will have lots of hunts to come @ this site. Here is a group shot of finds from this portion of the site :

file.php

A few "whatzits", that I welcome any input on. Especially that item on the upper right . And the bottom item is a shoe-horn, if I'm not mistaken ?

file.php

Here is the reverse sides of the last "whatzits" pix :

file.php

Here is 2 buttons (on bottom). One has gilt lettering on the back. The other is plain.

And on top, is a padlock sized squared off copper item. I think it's one side of a mold for something. Possibly a mold for an item we call "Indian pendants" (that resemble bell-clappers in ornate forms).

file.php

Another view of the "mold". This is the back-side, where you can see that perpetual squishing between 2 sides of a vice, have left a permanent indent mark in it.

file.php

And a 3rd view of the mold :

file.php

Misc. copper and doohickeys (some of which are probably post turn-of-century) :

file.php

Here's Brian's haul from the "ghost town" site. He was quite proud of his first Eagle tongue buckle :

file.php

The gold rush token he found. His is hard to read (ground-kissed). But here's the link to the info, wording, etc... on it. Apparently it was very early in the gold rush, among gold rush era SF merchants. Said to be "the first token in CA"

http://tokencatalog.com/token_recor..._id=33494&attribution_id=8321&record_offset=2

file.php

file.php

A VERY cool powder flask. That just drips of the "wild wild west".

file.php

And some assorted misc. that Brian got :

file.php

For kicks and giggles, we stopped at an old-town park, which is rumored to eventually be undergoing renovations sometime. We didn't see much dirt moved around, except for a tiny stretch of sidewalk out . Which appeared to already be 2nd generation moved-around. Still managed to get this 1915 S barber dime. Brian got a '15 wheat.

file.php

file.php

No gold coins on this trek, to jab the east coast guys with. But it was a fun day !

... or gold there.

Yes. We are willing to humble ourselves, and forgo large cents. In favor of gold coins. It is a big sacrifice, and will be hard to stomach . But I will be strong and persevere ! (As a "close second" we'll tolerate some reales, early seateds, etc....) :laughing:

Great bunch of relics! Maybe that item is a sling swivel in your what zits...

Very cool finds! Hopefully some coinage turns up at that site when you detect it some more. That barber is in nice shape.

Great bunch of relics! Maybe that item is a sling swivel in your what zits...

Definitely some nice stuff there and I also thought that item may be a rifle sling swivel until I saw the other side. Then thinking maybe a chest of box handle.
It is a nice piece and did catch my eye.

Keep at this site Tom, probably an LC there.

No gold coins? Tisk tisk ! :impatient: on a serious note, that was an excellent post Tom, I felt like I was right there besides you and Brian hunting :laughing: great pics and display, thanks for sharing!

Amazing research is paying off, nice job all around Tom!
In the 4th picture of whatsits the second thing in from the left looks like an adjustment stem from a kerosene lamp.

A great detailed report Tom. Your description added to the finds. Some great history even without that Gold Coin. I can't help but think one is again coming your way very soon. Congrats to both you and Brian on a fantastic outing. Trapper

Exquisite record keeping and picture taking Tom,you are clearly(there wasn’t ever a doubt) in this because it all genuinely interests you. And yes,every hit would’ve piqued my interest as it could be ANYTHING! Some of the finds may hold some value,but the hunt itself...priceless.
I don’t relic hunt but it looks like you guys really worked at it. To have that many signals that are all potential “holy cow” items would have me digging like a madman! Hopefully you guys had more self control than I would’ve.:grin:
Another example of two “true hunters”....

Tom ,I must say after relic hunting for 20+ yrs. myself those are some outstanding finds buddy. Wow what a great day of digging. You guys killed it. And want to thank you for sharing some very nice relics not to mention the history behind it all. Big congrats bud. Awesome finds

Wow killer hunt Tom, looks like you not only scored well but you guys may have a virgin site.

The Masonic looking medallion looks like it s actually Odd Fellows

"Masonic Item" is 1850s Odd Fellows suspender buckle, several other styles also exist, Christian, Hunter, Jenny Lind etc.

Attachments

• US7814-0.jpg
    US7814-0.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 362
That’s a whole bunch of really cool stuff!! ...but...did you first make sure to check with the local governmental authority to determine if detecting was allowed???

Back
Top Bottom