New permission nets 2 bucket listin barbers!

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
I spent most of my hunting at the 1895 house this week to finish it up. I still need to go back and finish hunting the driveway, and call it good. I found out that the owners are going to demo it which is kinda sad. Its got some foundational issues that are causing the north side to slightly bow, and cracks are growing on the second story, which if left alone will cause that side to fall away. The cost to fix and renovate the home would be huge, so I can see why they want to demo.

The house is solid brick, and built 12 years after the town was born, and 5 years after WY became a state. The person who built it probably had some wealth since bricks werent common for building then. Within 30 yards of the home is the marker where Gen. George Crook camped and left his wagon train in 1876 to aid the infamous Custer at Little Big Horn. Crook was turned back by several thousand Lakota warriors at the Rosebud battlefield. It was amazing just to stand there and ponder the history of what happened in that small area over 100 years ago.

IMG_0044.jpg

The wheaties, multi tool, and jewelry were found at the 1895 home. I got permission to hunt an old loading dock that was demolished, and thats where I netted the two barbers!

IMG_0041.jpg

The first time I hunted the docks, I used my 6" coil, and did a random pattern to see how junky the ground was and to see what I could find. I got a shallow 25-27 signal on the NOX, and out popped the 1899 barber dime! I went back today with the 11" coil and started a grid, and on the 3rd pass, I dug up the 1893O Barber quarter! It was so tarnished that I thought it was modern state quarter, but after I rubbed it, there was something nicely different about it. First Barbers ever! Ill return there tomorrow to see what else lurks around in that dirt.

Thanks for looking, and HH!

Last edited:
Nice pull on that pair of Barbers! Your permission sounds like it has a lot of potential and hope you carefully search it out!

Love that you share all the history on that site Tom, thank you. Congrats on you first Barbers, hope there are more waiting to get your coil over them. Trapper

Nice pull on that pair of Barbers! Your permission sounds like it has a lot of potential and hope you carefully search it out!

Thank you. I hope it does, but Im not sure how old the loading docks were. There could have been other structures here before that. Ill definitely grid it 4 times.

Fantastic job, congratulations!

Thanks Matt

Awesome barbers Tommy! Nice job

Thanks Tom

Love that you share all the history on that site Tom, thank you. Congrats on you first Barbers, hope there are more waiting to get your coil over them. Trapper

Thanks Trapper. The history is another excellent side aspect of the hobby!

Sweet finds! Congrats!

Thank you

Congrats on your first Barber Dime and first Barber Quarter...excellent digging!

Thanks Capn'

Great saves, that area seems to have some awesome history, sounds like a great place to hunt.

Why do you think the coins look so tarnished, are you thinking fertilizer? Or you mentioned docks, were they in the water?

Exceptional hunting report Tom .
Sweet bucketlisters and a history lesson .

Big congratulations and thanks for sharing with us .
,dew

Beautiful finds and post! Thanks for such a detailed historical backstory! Re: Old brick houses...imagine the work and effort that went into making and hauling them! let alone the construction back in those days....

The cool thing about old bricks..based upon their coloration, a guy can tell about where they came from...Like, "What are these red bricks doing here in this old house? The nearest red dirt clay is a long way off!" Makes a guy appreciate heavy effort...

Back
Top Bottom