State Quarter Challenge

Foragist

Forum Supporter
I've often wondered how long it would take me to collect all 50 state quarters strictly from detecting finds. Just for fun; to give myself a little challenge, I picked up this board for $1.99 at Goodwill today. I'm going to go through my finds since July 4th this year, to see how far I've gotten. I know I have many of them, but have no idea how hard it will be to get all 50. They won't be mint state or high grade coins, but should make for a good MD display.

Anybody else do this?

Attachments

• DSCN8262.jpg
    DSCN8262.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 602
I've often wondered how long it would take me to collect all 50 state quarters strictly from detecting finds. Just for fun; to give myself a little challenge, I picked up this board for $1.99 at Goodwill today. I'm going to go through my finds since July 4th this year, to see how far I've gotten. I know I have many of them, but have no idea how hard it will be to get all 50. They won't be mint state or high grade coins, but should make for a good MD display.

Anybody else do this?

I've been doing it for the last 7-8 years and it's actually pretty easy. I haven't tried the new series of quarters though.

I have never thought about it. It's always just been yep that's a quarter, and into the pouch it goes. I shall start myself.

Great idea!!! I might have to try this!!! Sounds like a blast

I have found 48 total..... and do not want to cheat, and purchase the remaining two.

Pretty cool! Let us know how it turns out.

I've been doing it for the last 7-8 years and it's actually pretty easy. I haven't tried the new series of quarters though.

I have never thought about it. It's always just been yep that's a quarter, and into the pouch it goes. I shall start myself.

No Alaska and Hawaii?

You can do this coin roll hunting and probably have a whole set in one day.

Killer idea

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring

Dang...I should have done that before cashing in my clad...that would have been fun.

Rainy day today, so I sorted my tumbled change, and started plugging the slots. There are 50 holes in the board, but not in geographically correct order, so it's a challenge to fill it in in any kind of order.
Here's the update: Using only detected/dug quarters, I have 42 states so far. Oddly enough, Wisconsin is one of the eight I am missing. I have more dirty change to clean and check another day. This is a fun challenge!

Attachments

• DSCN8312 (2).jpg
    DSCN8312 (2).jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 403
Rainy day today, so I sorted my tumbled change, and started plugging the slots. There are 50 holes in the board, but not in geographically correct order, so it's a challenge to fill it in in any kind of order.
Here's the update: Using only detected/dug quarters, I have 42 states so far. Oddly enough, Wisconsin is one of the eight I am missing. I have more dirty change to clean and check another day. This is a fun challenge!

Looks like you're most of the way done.:yes:

Neat idea! :good: I have been doing this the last few years, except using circulation finds and through doing a few quarter rolls CRHing. I have found 88 out of 112, but that is counting both mint marks and the DC & territorial quarters. :D A few have been from MDing, but I'm only keeping them if they are shiny. :grin:

Thanks. I get the feeling it'll be like copytech99's experience. Probably get hung up on the last 2 for a while. No matter. It's good to have attainable goals.
My prediction was accurate. After tumbling the last of my 2018 clad finds, I filled 6 more slots, but still missing 2; Texas and South Dakota. I might have dug them earlier in the year, but I cashed in $100 worth before I started this. Now I am adding "SD and TX quarters" to my 2019 goals.

Also, in my tumbled clad, I found a worn buffalo nickel, a Portugese 10 Escudos coin(size of a quarter), and a no cash value token, plus one zinc penny corroded down to the size of a dime. Tumbling my pennies now. Wonder what else I missed...

Attachments

• DSCN9232.jpg
    DSCN9232.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 314
My detecting partner got me one of these for Christmas...I only have 12 so far, since I cashed in my clad prior to getting it...but this year I hope to get the rest of them

Anybody else do this?

That's a freaking cool board!!

Cool idea! I've yet to cash in any of my clad - it's still all sitting in a big bale jar. It might be a fun evening project with my daughters to see how many states we can find among my clad. I've only got about $80 worth total, and maybe only half or so of that is quarters, so I doubt we'll find a full set...but it'll be fun to see how far we get!

That's a freaking cool board!!

As a side hobby that grew out of my affinity for craft beers, I've spent the last 10 years or so collecting the crown caps for the various brews that I've tried. Anyway, a while back I found a similar board that I use to display some of my caps - they fit perfectly! Kind of ironic now that I've taken up detecting - crown caps are basically the bane of my existence while swinging in the field, but at the same time I've immortalized dozens of them on my wall and dozens more in display albums! :lol:

Attachments

• beercaps.jpg
    beercaps.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 272
Back
Top Bottom