Garrett ProPointer freaking out and acting erratically? Try this.

Mine hasen'nt gone crazy yet but did have a rattling sound when it would go off, found out it was the batt, i was sitting on the toilet when i figuered it out and put a piece of toilet paper on the cap and that was it.

Just the picture of having the GPP while on the toilet made me laugh.... ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Btw I like the suggestion... Mine acts up every once in a while... Will try the coin trick in the battery cap.

I have had mine for 2 years. Used to act up some, but I have been keeping a nickel under the cap for a while now with no issues. Some other things I do is keep a piece of tape over the speaker hole to keep dirt and water out. If I am hunting in the rain or a very wet area I put it in a baggie to keep it dry and it works perfect!

This happened to me last summer. I remember someone mentioning this before and it solved the problem. Great tip!

I saw one of those as seen on tv products last week called Flex Seal. They mentioned availability in 'clear' along with white and black. Got me thinking that the clear version might be worth spraying a bit of it over the switch to aid with dirt/dust/water protection.

Just thinking out loud as I have no experience with that product.

Papa

Overall I really like my GPP and would hate to hunt without it but it's brand new and every now and then I can just put some pressure on the tip (with non metalic object) and it's starts going off. The first time it was happening it had this noob chasing a "target" from 2 inches .. down a 12" hole. Then I pressed it against my hand.. and anything else I touched, and placed pressure on the tip made it beep.. it has done this on several occasions. Anyone else had this problem or is there something I am doing wrong?

Overall I really like my GPP and would hate to hunt without it but it's brand new and every now and then I can just put some pressure on the tip (with non metalic object) and it's starts going off. The first time it was happening it had this noob chasing a "target" from 2 inches .. down a 12" hole. Then I pressed it against my hand.. and anything else I touched, and placed pressure on the tip made it beep.. it has done this on several occasions. Anyone else had this problem or is there something I am doing wrong?

Yes, that's typical. The only way to avoid the problem is to not apply too much pressure to the tip of the GPP when searching for a target (i.e. don't dig with it). If the GPP doesn't pick up the target initially, then either try the "ring" trick to increase it's depth a little or simply enlarge the hole.

Well my first two GPP did that... The one i own now doesn't do it very often. It did get crazy once, but it was the battery draining, and also I have put the coin in the cap to see if it does it again but didn't have a chance to go out to detect yet.

There has been too many problems with my ProPointers. I had three go bad on me during a couple seasons. Garrett replaced them all and I sold them off as I got them back. I demand that my equipment works in the field. I pay good money for it and I expect it to perform. In my opinion the Garrett Propointer is a lemon and has easily been dethroned by the new White's TRX.
Jeez, what does Whites pay this guy?? Mention a pro-pointer and you get this drivel every time. Leave it alone dude, Please.

Gpp

I like my pro pointer. This is my second. I've had the battery issue, easy fix. On my last one, the switch failed. On opening it, the switch had actually broken. I soldered in a new switch. not the same switch but had to run wires out of the housing. Worked fine for awhile. Then that switch broke at the solder connection tab. I replaced it again but from all the repairs it starting acting up again so I just bought another.
On the speaker issue, I hated picking at that little thing with a tooth pick to clean out the mud. I cleaned it up, and placed a waterproof sports band aid over the holes. Keeps mud and moisture out, sticks like the dickens and doesn't attenuate the sound level much at all.

Mine hasen'nt gone crazy yet but did have a rattling sound when it would go off, found out it was the batt, i was sitting on the toilet when i figuered it out and put a piece of toilet paper on the cap and that was it.

Why did you have your pinpointer with you in the bathroom?.......Just curious.
Did you accidentally swallow a penny?

One other 9 volt maintenance tip. Use a pencil eraser to clean the wire tabs. It is very easy to clean of any corrosion and dirt from the contacts. I used to do this for my handheld radio connections.

Chris W.

last week end I noticed while cleaning mine up the rubber cover over the switch was worn on the inside, not all the way threw but had a nice hole starting so I emailed Garrett and got a response Monday from Hilda asking for my serial #. I replied back with the # and today received a package from Garrett with 2 new rubber switch covers and a 50 year Garret Patch. Great Service. I just covered the speaker hole with a wrap of black electrical tape and have a quarter under the cap. The tip is wearing on one side but it's seen lots of hard use as I hunt almost daily in prime hunting seasons.

Lol sometimes when i'm trying to figure something out when i go to the rest restroom thats were i ussually figure out whats wrong with it.
This is written in the bathroom:roll:

I believe that I remember John F. Kennedy made his best decisions while "sitting on the throne."

Back
Top Bottom